“Small but very comfortable and very friendly” 5 of 5 bubbles

Plaza Beach Hotel - Beachfront Resort
Ranked #7 of 32 Hotels in St. Pete Beach
GreenLeadersGold level
Waterloo, Canada
“Small but very comfortable and very friendly”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2011

It is family owned. We have been going to 2 of their three properties and we have always been very welcomed. The Plaza Beach hotel is right on the beach. The rooms are very clean and well kept. The Staff is very nice and so are the owners. It is a full equipped room with kitchen. It's charm is that it is on the beach, We go there when our dog is not with us. The Palm Beach is across the road it has fully equipped studios and also suites dogs are allowed and welcomed.

Room Tip: I will send pictures later as I do not have them with me right now. We have also been to their other...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank horse72

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (548)
  • Polish first
St. Pete Beach, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2011

OK, this is the first review I've ever done on any hotel (I'm a geezer). But here's my quick review. This is a small motel, right on the white-sand beach. It's not fancy, but it is very well appointed--refrigerator, flat-screen TV, comfortable beds. The property, with a swimming pool, is nicely taken care of. Helpful staff. International clientel. Nearby restaurants. Really a pleasure to be here. We have a son at nearby Eckerd College, and I guarantee we'll stay here each time we go to visit him. If it were a real fancy motel/hotel, I would give it five stars. But for my family travel purposes, it's an outstanding place to stay. The only downside: no free newspapers for the guests. (And I still haven't figured out where to get a New York Times newspaper!)

Room Tip: Each room has a narrow view of the ocean, but the four rooms on the west side squarely face the ocea...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Plaza-Resorts_Owner, Owner at Plaza Beach Hotel - Beachfront Resort, responded to this review, 30 November 2011
First Review Ever, WOW. Welcome to our extended family. Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that our staff was helpful. We look forward to seeing you here on future trips when visiting your son at Eckerd College.

I have you news on your newspapers. You are correct; we do not provide a free newspaper at your door step like other hotels. We were the first Green Lodging Property and continue to excel with many different ways we try to preserve, protect and recycle. One of our green standards is to protect unnecessary paper waste. Many of our guests get their news from their television, complementary computers in the lobby, or their personal computers and Smartphone’s since we provide free Wifi. We do have two newspaper stands on property next to our vending services providing both the St Petersburg Time and the Tampa Tribune for guest choosing to read the paper. Oh, and by the way, I walked over to Walgreens across the street to ask about the New York Times and they said that they do carry it. So next time you come down for vacation or to visit your son, you’ll have your favorite newspaper just across the street at Walgreens.

Thank you again, and welcome to our extended family.

Robert Czyszczon
Plaza Beach Resorts
Family Owned and Operated since 1988
Greater Manchester
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2011

On our holiday to Orlando, we had booked tickets to watch the Tampa Bay Rays baseball team and decided rather than drive all the way back from St Pete, we would stay overnight at a beachside hotel. We didn't want to spend a lot and on searching found this little gem! 2 double beds plus convertible couch in each room, full size fridge and small kitchen with table and chairs, a small bathroom and an open area to hang clothes plus parking right outside your front door. This was room only but about five minutes walk away across the road (cross at the crossings as quite busy), there is a small shopping precinct with a Publix which sells the usual supermarket fayre but also hot meals. We used them for breakfast and lunch. We had a ground floor room and we were a short walk to the beachside swimming pool. There were plenty of beds round the pool and it was a reasonable size for a small hotel. The beach at St Pete is fabulously white and soft. There are also tables and chairs so you can eat near the pool rather than in your room. My only regret at this hotel - I had only one night there. Next time I would like to stay a week and just chill.

Room Tip: Balcony rooms are bookable at extra cost and these have a sea view
  • Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2011

The Plaza Beach Hotel is a clean, well managed, well-situated two-story un-fussy hotel where you can have a peaceful time right on the Gulf in Saint Pete Beach, FL. The rooms are immaculately clean. Large screen TV (if that matters to you), friendly, accommodating staff, and close to everything. The Trolley ($4.50 for unlimited rides all day) is right out front. It can take you 3 miles south to Pass-A-Grille (the "Key West" historical area of St. Pete Beach with restaurants, bars, gift shops, and fantastic sunsets that the whole community watches each night. Very friendly!). An hour's ride north takes you to St. Petersburg to the Salvador Dali and the Chihuly museums. On the way to there, get off at 74th St in St. Pete Beach on Cory avenue to a very charming local crafts/gift store/post office area, and a great breakfast place, "Steam Coffee Shop.'
I booked on Travelocity and so did not specify which room I wanted. When I arrived, I realized I'd prefer an upstairs balcony room. The staff changed my room with no problems at all.
Another nice feature at the Plaza Beach Hotel is the daily free 4-5 pm happy hour in their "board room." Free beer and wine seated around a large table with the other guests. They included Canadians, Scots, Danes, as well as people from many other states in the US. This made for great conversation! What a nice feature.
One morning, I walked the 3 miles down the beach to Pass-a-Grille for breakfast at the excellent Paradise Cafe, right on the beach. This is just a an excellent setup and you totally do not need a car to lots of nice stuff. Even if you just swim, walk, and eat, it's a great vacation.

Just for context, I am not a world traveller, and usually keep my vacations pretty simple. I was more than pleased with my experience.

Room Tip: Ask for an upstairs balcony room
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank joanne s
Hartford, Connecticut
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2011

"Resort" expectation will disappoint some, but this is a great beachfront property in the vein of an old-fashioned mom-and-pop shoreline motel with everything updated: clean, painted, recent renovations, newer appliances and flat screen TVs, newer bedding, small but efficient layout, small lounge but packed with happy hour, fooseball, computers ... and did I mention beachfront? Clearly many returning customers, and we can see why: beach toy loan box, extra beach towels, great front desk suggestions for area attractions and dining, cleanliness. My only constructive criticism is that I had trouble logging into the free WIFI. We'd come back.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Harrier96
St. Augustine, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2011

Just superb. From the staff to the room to the location on the beach to the amenities (pool, mini golf etc.), this place is just superb. I was blown away by the cleanliness and size of the room I had booked. It was just me on a last minute trip to St Pete and I got a remarkable last minute deal for this place, and I couldn't have been happier. Wish i had had more time to stay another night or two.

Stay here!!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank ukadamski
Onaway, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2011

Clean, good value. Stayed here with my daughter. We were comfortable, had everything we needed. Close to restaurants, stores, the beach. We enjoyed our stay.

Room Tip: I had a suite, which was small but modern, clean, and affordable.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family