Plaza Beach Hotel - Beachfront Resort
Ranked #5 of 32 Hotels in St. Pete Beach
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 4 May 2014

This is the first time that we stayed at the Plaza Resort.
What we liked: The staff were very nice, the facility is very family friendly with lots of games to keep the kids occupied (mini gold, chess, shuffle board, bean bag toss, fosse ball) and a beautiful beach and pool. Lots of repeat guests for extended stays of 2 weeks or more, which is a good sign.
What we didn't like: Bathtub needed to be repaired, as glue came loose. Room was not cleaned at all during our stay, I guess the maid forgot. The picnic table outside was not cleaned when we checked in. The room had bad feng shui, with a couch that was way too big for the room and blocked entrance to the beds.
On the positive side, the guest manager was very concerned about our experience and assured us that everything would be fixed and that she would make a note in our records, indicating that we should receive another room in the future.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Plaza-Resorts_Owner, General Manager at Plaza Beach Hotel - Beachfront Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2014

Lauri,

Thank you for the review and for mentioning the many positive aspects to your stay. I apologize that you had a few issues during your brief visit. We have already repaired the bath tub, as we weren’t made aware of the problem until after you checked out. I looked into our housekeeping records and it showed on your 2nd day you only requested the towels to be exchanged and the trash taken out, and declined room service. That was the only day your room would have been serviced since you only stayed for two nights. I’m sorry if there was any miscommunication. The tiki tables outside in the courtyard are for all guests, so another party likely used the table prior to your check in, after it had been cleaned by housekeeping. I can verify that our guest relations manager noted your file that you would prefer a different room next time. I hope I have addressed all of your concerns. We hope to see you again soon so that we can give you an excellent experience here.

Plaza Beach Resorts

Write a ReviewReviews (1,936)

Reviewed 4 May 2014

I have been going to this motel for many years and it is a pleasant, quiet experience which I enjoy every time I go there. It is very clean and well taken care of and has a very homey atmosphere unlike the big motels that cost a mint to stay there, and are not clean, and those employees in the big places all seem to have that kind of snooty attitude. At the Plaza Beach Hotel, you feel more like family than a room number. The staff are always there to help. I am going back in a few months if everything works out. See you there!

Thank Tena Glenda Gra... N
Reviewed 3 May 2014

This is my second stay at Plaza Beach (first visit was Easter 2013). This year I stayed from April 18-25. Moriah at the front desk was very polite, cheerful, and made the check-in and check-out process very simple. Very clean hotel right on a very well manicured beach. Loved the new colorful chairs and lounge chairs for guests to use. I stayed in Room 216 (balcony suite) and it's well worth the money. Spacious room ... spotless clean, having the balcony with large door wall was a plus. Bed was very comfortable ... the kitchen area with microwave, coffee maker, toaster, and refrigerator was terrific. Large flat-panel tv with numerous stations to choose from can be positioned toward bed or couch/kitchen area. Bathroom got the job done ... no problem at all. The grounds were spotless -- saw two men doing a fine job of spreading mulch around the plants, sweeping the parking lot, and re-painting the decorative dolphin-themed lamps; overall keeping the grounds in tip-top shape. Pool area was enjoyed by kids -- great to see. Can't wait for the tiki bar to be completed. Happy Hour is a great way to meet people and share ideas about places to visit and to eat. Housekeeping staff was tremendous -- they did a fine job.

Definitely recommend this hotel. It's close to the Publix store and there are numerous restaurants to choose from within a close distance. It's clean, friendly staff, best bang for your buck, right on the beach, and offers a quaint atmosphere. What more could you ask for?

Room Tip: Go with the upper balcony suite (I had Room 216 this year, can't remember the room number I had...
Reviewed 3 May 2014

I stayed at the Plaza Beach Hotel from April 25 through May 2. I was traveling solo but never felt lonely. You have a very nice staff and they go above and beyond to make the stay at your hotel fantastic. Big shout out to Tony the maintenance person for fixing the leak under the sink and the stuck dresser drawer and for giving me some great suggestions for places to eat and drink. And to Zijada for keeping the room clean.

So now onto the hotel itself. It is cute, clean and very convenient to everything. It was helpful that the strip mall across the street had a grocery store, drug store, dollar store, ice cream, coffee etc. Then the other direction was a Walgreen's, an Italian restaurant and an Italian bakery that had the best cappuccino.You have thought of every amenity that one would need. Full kitchen with dishes, cups etc. Alarm clock with plugs to charge your IPhone and the little extras in the bathroom in case you've forgotten something.

I was impressed that it was a green hotel and I chose it because of that. I work for an Environmental Agency and I wanted to see if there would be a difference between staying at a green hotel opposed to a non green hotel. There were few differences. However there are some suggestions that I would offer. I realize that water is an important commodity and it should be used sparingly, but I think the shower head in room 211 needs to be adjusted a bit. I could barely get the shampoo out of my hair. I had to rinse it under the regular faucet. Also you may want to think about installing a water filter for the water system. There was a strong smell of sulfur or chlorine from the faucet in the bathroom. It looked like the faucet might need replacing.

I loved that you had a little Tiki Bar onsite, but it wasn't being used for the generous happy hour that you provide from 4-5 with beer and wine. It would be the perfect place to have your daily happy hour.

The Super Shuttle is a great and inexpensive way to get from the airport to the hotel and the free Beach Ride was an excellent way to get around if you want to venture a little further to other restaurants in the area. The Drunken Clam across the way is a great spot. Nice way to meet locals. Very entertaining and friendly bar. I also jumped on the Trolley to St. Petersburg and saw the Dali Museum. Great Museum. I suggest if you want to get out of the sun for just a little while to definitely check this exhibit out.

All and all it was a great stay and I would come back to this hotel. I was barely in the room because there is so much to do but when I was it was certainly comfortable. Thank you all for a great stay and Congratulations to you Robert for the detail that you put into this hotel. You have made your hotel feel like a home away from home.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank ldydi0608

Thanks for leaving a detailed review of your recent stay. I’m happy to hear our staff, including Tony and Zijada, took good care of you. I apologize if there was an issue with your shower head. We do conserve water, but the difference would not be that noticeable. I have asked our maintenance department to take a look at it. We would have fixed it immediately if we knew there was a problem during your stay. The tiki bar is under construction and is not yet open, but we look forward to enhancing our guest experience with that amenity very soon. I hope you are able to come back again to your new home away from home.

Reviewed 3 May 2014

Another great stay We loved the upgrades.The new doors,. The, safes in the rooms new chairs and hammocks on the beach. Sam at the front desk was excellent as was Luann. Our maid Bisera was wonderful . We enjoy the free happy hour as we get to visit with all the new friends we meet every year. I reccommend this hotel to all my friends. We will stay here every year as we feel like we are at home with family.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 May 2014

Great for couples and families alike. Just a fantastic place, great staff and many amenities all included. We love quaint outdoor area with tables and grills as well as the chairs and hammocks on the beach. We will return soon.

Room Tip: View from second floor the best
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jim A
Reviewed 2 May 2014

My sister and I stayed here in Aug 2013 and upon arrival I did think it was more of a motel from the outside. We had booked our ride to and from the airport through Super Shuttle and it was inexpensive just a tip. Free red and white wine was also available when we got there but at a certain time only. The hotel room was perfect enough for us and always stayed clean,and the housekeepers were very friendly women. Our beds were very comfortable and clean, we had a small dining/kitchen area,a fridge,kitchen utensils provided as well as pots and pans. Complimentary coffee was available, but if your a coffee drinker like me youll know good and bad coffee,therefore I had brought my own just incase,and I was glad I did becuase I was able to brew my own in the room with their provided coffee maker. There is a walgreens that's about a 5mins away,which is helpful. We bought eggs, juice, milk, snacks or anything to make for breakfast and lunch. Now, the beach is what makes this hotel!!! You will forget about everything else and seriously stay on that beach. It is amazing and so relaxing. Don't forget your sunblocks and shades because that sun is a killer but I loved it. This hotel is family friendly and a dead zone especially if you are young and want to party or go out. To experience the night life we called a taxi to take us into the city which is pretty far but not too bad. If you like quietness and peace this place is for you. Dont forget to go to Drunken Clam, which is walking distance opposite of walgreens. The fries,and wings are delicious and so are the drinks!!! Overrall I had a great vacation here, I barely stayed in the room especially with a beach like that.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Darmean
Plaza-Resorts_Owner, General Manager at Plaza Beach Hotel - Beachfront Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 3 May 2014

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review of your stay. You must have arrived just in time for our complimentary social hour, which happens every day from 4-5pm where we serve beer and wine. As you mentioned, we are family friendly and ideal for couples or business travelers. We are not a party hotel and take great measures to ensure that does not happen. There are lots of great beach bars and restaurants here in St Pete Beach. Downtown St Petersburg is only a 10-15 minute drive for a more active nightlife. I hope you’re able to come and visit our amazing beach again soon.