“Great Hotel”

Plaza Beach Hotel - Beachfront Resort
Ranked #5 of 32 Hotels in St. Pete Beach
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 3 February 2009

We stayed at the Plaza Beach Hotel for 4 days and couldn't have been happier. It was very clean and well maintained. Robert took very good care of us for anything we asked of him. This is mainly a family hotel and right on the gulf with a beautiful pool and shuffle board and private free cabanas. Beautiful view. Thanks for everything, Robert!!!!!

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank Lois123Michigan
Plaza-Resorts_Owner, Owner at Plaza Beach Hotel - Beachfront Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 11 February 2009

Thank you for your review. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed our resort amenities and had a great vacation. We look forward to you next stay with us.

Robert Czyszczon
“Family Owned and Operated Since 1988”

Write a ReviewReviews (1,968)

Reviewed 30 January 2009

THE GOOD: This 60's era renovated motel is just what we ordered; small, privately owned, clean, inexpensive, and convenient. On the surface, you'd expect it to pass the muster.

THE BAD: Upcharge on EVERYTHING: Lobby Wi-Fi, Extra Key, Beach Towels, Guest Visit and Parking, (oh well, it was inexpensive) plus: TINY bathroom, NO STOVE, only ONE outlet in living area without moving the furniture, sloppy maid service (and NO MAID on SUN: no fresh towels, either), light bulbs out.

THE UGLY: Do NOT take room 121! The door sticks when closed and is very difficult to open . . . so difficult that my 6'4"/250 lb son had to throw his entire weight against it to open it from inside! We complained to the desk 3 times. The door has obviously been sanded to help it not stick, but it is a FIRE HAZARD! One desk clerk tried to act surprised by our request, but it is obviously a continuing problem. They never offered us a different room, either. (and they had vacancies) HEY, I can fix it: REPLACE the door! Instead, I called the fire inspector as we were leaving Tampa.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank LynxLady80
Plaza-Resorts_Owner, Owner at Plaza Beach Hotel - Beachfront Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 31 January 2009

I understand that this guest was upset about an issue in her room- specifically that her door was sticking. This issue was corrected within one hour of it being reported, please see more detailed explanation below. However, there are several incorrect statements in this guest’s review regarding our services and fees and it is imperative that we address these statements so tripadvisor members are not misinformed.

The guest mentioned that there is an “Upcharge on Everything” That is completely not true, there is actually NO upcharges at our hotel. That’s what differs our family run hotel to the big chain hotel. We offer, FREE Wireless Internet, FREE Beach Towels, FREE parking, No Resort fees, No Amenities fees to our registered guest.

This guest did not have a laptop and wanted to use one of our computers at our Internet Café located in the lobby, in that case we do charge for those computers because those computer are part of the Internet Café and that fee based service is open to the public.

Parking is FREE, one car per room, if you choose to invite visitors come onto our property with a car and those visitors want to use my pool and all our amenities at the hotel than there is a charge for that visitor of $10.00 for parking for the day and $5.00 per visitor which gives the visitor use of all hotel amenities that we offer.

Extra Key: Each room receives one room key, if you would like an additional key, you can have as many as you want, we take a $10.00 deposit for each additional key and return the deposit when the additional key is returned, so the keys are FREE.

The review than mentions: tiny bathroom no stove in kitchen, one outlet and sloppy maid service. Let review together. Yes, the bathrooms are smaller than your normal new hotel, but everyone know that this hotel was built in the 1950’s so the bathrooms back than had a smaller design, however they are completely renovated and modern. Also mentioned no stove, I wish as an owner that I could post pictures with these reviews, but I cannot, however believe me when I tell you every room at the Plaza Beach Resort has a two burn ceramic glass top stove and there are plenty of outlets around the room. Housekeeping did not service this guest’s room on Sunday. On our website and when you check-in in your check-in folder, it clearly states that there is No Housekeeping on Sundays and Holidays, if you want fresh towels on Sundays or Holidays you just bring you dirty towel to the office and we replace them.

Lets review the guest last comment about sticky door in room 121. The entire hotel was repainted in Nov.2008 almost three months ago, and we have not had any complaints of any sticky doors until this guests checked in. That’s why when it was reported to my wife, she was surprised, and it was only reported one time, not three times. My father went and sanded the door down that same day and checked the door to ensure that it was properly working. At it was. The guest continued to stay in the same room and never mentioned that the door was still giving them problems, had we known we could of addressed it further. Today is Jan.31.2009, I just came back from the room after reading the review on Tripadvisor and I personally inspected the door and it opens and closes perfectly.

We believe that this guest’s star rating of our property is not appropriate. The guest had only one issue with the room, which was addressed. All of the other statements such as “charge for pool towels” and “upcharge on everything” were incorrect facts, not the guest’s opinions.

We look forward to seeing everyone here at our beautiful resorts, and if you ever have any issue that is not resolved please find myself Robert or my wife Mari, we are on property seven days a week, every two weeks we take one day off, but normally we are always here.

Robert Czyszczon
“Family Owned and Operated with Pride since 1988”

Reviewed 11 January 2009

Well, I checked trip advisor and selected this hotel because of the wonderful reviews about how friendly the staff were. We booked a good 10 months in advance.
When we arrived we were greeted by a woman who appeared to be friendly. We advised them that we would need some extra bedding as we would be using the pull out bed.
The suite was wonderful. It was large enough for two adults and two teenagers. We settled in and decided to check out the hotel and its surroundings. The pool is very small. If there is more than 6 people in the pool its crowded. The beach is beautiful, everything people say about it is true. We returned after a long day and the bedding was not there. We had to go down and get the bedding ourselves and it appeared as though we were bothering them with this request.
We only had a few complaints: t.v. converter not working and when you have teenages thats important. We had to complain 3 times before a staff member would come up to the room. They made us feel like we were stupid and just not understanding how conerters work. In ended up that they had to replace the entire DVD box.
The housekeeping staff were very nice but they did not come to room daily. Our garbage was always overflowing and there were no recycling boxes.
Overall, this place was nice and cheap. I did not find the staff very friendly at all. In fact when we left the son who checked us out did not even ask how we were, or how we enjoyed our stay or anything. I have never left a hotel without the counter staff asking how things were. He was very rude and not at all engaging.
Would I go back again? Well, for the location and price it's pretty good. But at least I know what to expect from the staff.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank Daleroxy
Plaza-Resorts_Owner, owner at Plaza Beach Hotel - Beachfront Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 28 January 2009

Thank you for your review, we take these reviews very seriously so that we can improve our hotel and service. I am pleased to hear that you were happy with your room and our beautiful beach. I am not happy about the fact that you had to come down to get extra bedding and that the DVD player was not working and it took multiple request to get it resolved. I apologize for those issues; those issues are easily avoided with proper training, so I will speak with our front desk staff and reiterate the importance of following through on a guest request. The housekeepers are supposed to service the rooms daily with the expectation of Sundays and Holidays, if other days were missed I apologize and I will have a meeting with the housekeepers. You mention that we have no recycling boxes, we actually do have four recycling containers next to the mini-golf. We have been designated a Green Lodging Resort for all of our efforts to help the environment, one of those efforts is recycling and we recycle paper, plastic, glass, and aluminum, again I apologize the front desk should have mention that at check-in. This is also true for the wireless internet, we have wireless internet throughout the hotel, common areas and pool area, but if we never gave you the wireless code at check-in you would not have known, again retraining is necessary and I will address that. Lastly you mentioned that at check-out that a son was rude and did not ask how things were upon departure. That son was my brother Greg, I apologize for his behavior, that is very unlike him and I will go over proper check-out procedures with him and as well as talk to him about his behavior.
Again thank you for your comments, we will use them to better our hotel and look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Plaza Beach Resort – St Pete Beach

Reviewed 10 January 2009

I just have to say this because of the last review.
We have been staying at Plaza Beach Resort since 2001.
It is an older building but it is really nice. We meet great people from around the world. We have met such nice fun people, most from Canada. We bring our child and it is a great place for families. There is a garden side that is great you can meet your new friends there for dinner and late nights. The pool is in the back of the resort and you have a great view of the beach. There are lots of chairs around the pool and outside of the pool to sit and watch the best sunsets. They have had the same housekeeping staff for years and you can trust to leave your valuables in the room!!
You can spend your whole vacation focusing on the beach and relaxing you don't have to go far to get your groceries across the street and a icecream store too. The grocery store and staff are very nice and helpful. We have looked at other places on the beach but we would never change.
Connie, Cincinnati, Ohio If you have any questions e-mail me at connie87311yahoo.com

• Stayed: May 2008
1  Thank lovethebeach87311

Connie,

Thank you for sharing your positive feedback with everyone. It is always great to hear from our loyal guest. We appreciate you staying us for so many years and look forward to many more.

Thanks Again,

Reviewed 5 January 2009

When we called to book, having stayed there before, we were told that it was full but they had a "sister" property across the road that was even nicer, having been totally renovated. They told us that the beach was just across the road from it- a very short walk. Arriving, we were met in the tiny entrance, by a very sweaty man in his undershirt, cleaning up grease from the floor. 1st impression was not good! We walked around the motel and saw that the pool was suitable for ducks and it looked old and dilapitated in general. When we complained, we were told that it was "Too Bad" and that there no cancellations, even though we felt totally misrepresented. The manager went on and on about the neat Pelicans that we could watch on the canal. Not a selling point to us!

Going the the actual Desert Palms, we were met by the female owner- a lovely lady- who sympathized and said she would give us the same lower rate as the one across the road and we could have a spot there, which we had originally requested and told they were booked up. All went well till the owner's extremely rude son arrived and began an argument with us,saying that there was nothing wrong with the "sister property" and that if we stayed at the Plaza Beach, he would charge us the full rate. He complained about all the money he spent on mortgages.

We were outraged with him, his terrible attitude and his bad language. He eventually stated "I have to get something out of you" and then gave us a $100. certificate if we came back. We would never go back to the establishment due to the humiliating experience. Rooms were OK, pool small and crowded, beach was great! There are much better places, as we found out.

• Stayed: February 2007, travelled as a couple
4  Thank KeithinAberfoyle
Plaza-Resorts_Owner, ownert at Plaza Beach Hotel - Beachfront Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 28 January 2009

As everyone knows there are always two sides to every story. I definitely remember this person. This was the person that was looking for a free stay based on a number of complaints which we will discuss below. Now, let me be clear on this, if there is a problem of some kind and it’s the fault of hotel or hotel staff there should be some kind of compensation, but when a guest starts making up stories and lies to try to get compensation that’s wrong.

Let’s address her first issue: “First Impression was not good, because a sweaty man was cleaning when she first arrived”. That sweaty man was my father working hard doing his job of maintaining the property so that our guest can enjoy their stay. I apologize that there was no doorman to greet her, however we are a family owned business.

Lets address her second issues: “Pool suitable for ducks, that looked old and dilapidated”. Her reservation was at our sister property the Bay Palms Waterfront Resort which we just purchased in March.2008 and since have done a tremendous amount of renovation. At the property we have only 15 rooms, the pool at that location is actually quite large for a boutique hotel of only 15 rooms. The pool has been completely resurfaced and retiled in Nov.2008 so I don’t know why she would say it looked old and dilapidated. The pool at the Plaza Beach Resort is three times larger and guest staying at Bay Palms Resort have full access to pool and all the amenities of the Plaza Beach Resort. I apologize that we do not have an Olympic size pool, but are two pools are more than adequate for all of are guest.

Her third and final issue: “Extremely rude son that stated: I have to get something out of you.” That son would be me, Robert. To say that I was extremely rude is a far stretch from the truth. I offered several different accommodation options; all were refused. The part of me saying “I have to get something out of you” is completely true, I did say that. However what she did not mention in her review is that she wanted to be completely compensated for her entire stay meaning she wanted to stay for free which is not possible. I offered discounts, but I could not offer a free stay.

At the end she did NOT at any of our resorts. As a gesture of kindness, (we are always trying to satisfy a guest no matter what the circumstance) I gave her a $100.00 gift certificate. I hoped that the 1 hour she spent with me she learned about the family business, different resorts, and different rooms we have to offer. I was shocked when I saw this review, that has no merit, and I knew that people would want to know the truth.

For all the people reading this review and other reviews, I want you to know that there is nothing wrong with any of the three boutique resorts my family owns. We have the Plaza Beach Resort, the Bayview Plaza Waterfront Resort, and the Bay Palms Waterfront Resort, total 61 rooms. That’s 61 happy and satisfied people departing people every few days, however maybe if were lucky one of those happy reviews make it to the internet. It is human nature to let others know about the bad experiences rather than the good. My family includes my parents Chris and Maria, my brother Greg, my wife Mari and myself, no matter what day you call or visit you will find us on property checking and double checking everything to ensure that are guest are happy. We actually have to work harder because we are a small family business with three brand names that are not recognized worldwide like to a Holiday Inn, Best Western, or Marriott. I have personally been to many of the hotels of this beach, and I can say with confidence that our rooms, our cleanliness, attention to detail, and value for your money is one of the best. I personally welcome you and look forward to hosting you at one of our family run boutique hotels.

Reviewed 1 December 2008

Reasonably clean rooms and a kitchen. It's obviously an older motel and the exterior is atrocious (sea foam?), but I'm getting ready to make my second trip there.
They charge for internet access and you have to use their computers. That's the worst part about the place, in my opinion.
Don't let TA's average price fool you, their normal room is about 1/2 of that price (depending on time of year). I was even allowed a discount as a repeat customer.
There are a couple other places, like this, in the area that I haven't tried, but it would be hard for me to try other ones that cost more (especially with the discount).
JJ

• Stayed: December 2006, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Joshua J
Reviewed 25 September 2008

I enjoyed my stay at the Plaza Beach Resort and look forward to my next visit. I like the family atmosphere and look forward to seeing some of the same guests each year. The rooms are clean and the grounds are well kept.
I have some walking difficulties and really appreciated that Plaza Beach could accommodate me in that regard, such as having a ground floor room, very near the pool.
Plaza Beach Resort is conveniently located near a Catholic church, supermarkets, etc. The handy laundry facilities, on the premises, are great!

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled with family