We had decided on a last minute trip to get away from the winter blues and chose this hotel with an expedia package(flight, hotel, car rental) which came out to be a great bargain, just over $300 per person for a week on the beach?! Granted it wasn't peak season and St. Petersburg is "cold" in January (60's beats single digit degrees any day), it was nice to take strolls on the beach and sit in the sand and watch the sun set over the gulf of Mexico. The location is on a busy road but that means access to a lot of conveniences like Publix, Walgreens, package stores and restaurants within walking distance. The building is among larger hotels and at an angle so the ocean view is not readily visible from the room unless you are on the second floor towards the end, but who goes to the beach to stay inside? It is literally on the beach! Pass the heated pool and shuffleboard and thru the gate and you step onto powdery white sand and an ocean coast that stretches further than you would ever walk. This is my happy place, watching the sun set, wild dolphins 50 yards from us, joggers and shell collectors going up and down the beach. Back to the room; this hotel reminds me more of a motor inn in that it is two floors and the balconies are shared. The wall of large windows take full advantage of the ocean air and view but also allows anybody walking by your room to see everything inside, so the dilemma is to close the curtains or not :) This property was recently renovated and it shows, new floor tiles in the main area and bathroom, new paint, 37" flat screen tv, new furniture and reupholstered seating make the accommodations seem much brighter and cleaner. Negatives however include old duvet bedspreads, squeaky bed with uncomfortable plastic under wrap, and a very tiny bathroom. You have to almost be sitting on the toilet or stand in the shower to close the door behind you and we are not very big people. I elbowed the mirror off the wall screw (sorry management) but luckily caught it before it shattered. No one ever came to rehang it properly after we called however, i ended up mounting it back on with some apprehension. Plus I was surprised that so much effort was put into revamping but the horribly worn, cracked toilet seat was reused? The kitchen has a two burner electric stove, one which didn't work but we took full advantage of being able to make breakfast or the occasional dinner, saving a lot on the dining budget. It was also great for preparing mac and cheese for the picky 2.5 year old! You get to meet with some other hotel stayers at happy hour near the check in office, no complaints about free wine and shocktop beer! The easy vibe you get from the plaza beach is one you cannot get from a non-family owned business or mass chain, which is why we would gladly stay here again the next time we return to St. Petersburg.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Completely Renovated this year, Plaza Beach Hotel Beachfront Resort is an award winning boutique resort of only 39 suites on the tropical island of St Pete Beach. St Pete Beach was voted #1 Beach in America by tripadvisor and is famous for its sugar white beaches. Plaza Beach Resort is situated directly on the beach with a large beachside pool overlooking the Gulf of Mexico. Imagine yourself relaxing in the pool while watching a breathtaking orange/purple sunset melt into the gulf. All rooms are spacious studio apartments with full kitchen; great for large families, couples or the business traveler who wants all the amenities of home. Best of all we have No Surprise Resort Fees, Enjoy everything the Plaza Beach Resort has to offer at no additional cost. We really mean it: FREE Beach Cabanas, FREE Beach/Pool Towels, FREE Wireless Internet, FREE Shuffleboard, FREE 4-hole Mini-Golf, FREE Human-size Chess, FREE BBQ Area, FREE Business Center, FREE Fitness Room, FREE parking and FREE Fishing off of our private piers just across the street. Our resort is Family Owned and Operated, and has been since 1988. The family is still very active in the day to day operations, on property daily, with a great friendly staff ready to assist you with a genuine Florida vacation. Members of Superior Small Lodging Association and Approved by AAA for Quality and Standards, our resort is one of only a handful of resorts in Florida that has received the Green Lodging seal from the State of Florida as well as greenleaders gold award from tripadvisor for our effort in conserving and recycling. St Pete Beach is a 6-mile island and the Plaza Beach Resort is directly in the center of the island. Everything is in walking distance, the grocery store, restaurants, and shopping are just across the street. As well as Deep Sea Fishing, Parasailing, Jet Skiing, Dolphin Cruises, Sunset Cruises and many different island cruises visiting the nearby islands. Best of all we are only 30 minutes from Busch Gardens and 90 minutes from Disney and all the Orlando Parks. Try us, and see for yourself why so many people return to the Plaza Beach Hotel - Beachfront Resort. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Agoda, Hotels.com and Odigeo so you can book your Plaza Beach Hotel - Beachfront Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Plaza Beach Hotel - Beachfront Saint Pete Beach
- Plaza Beach Saint Pete
- Plaza Beach Resort
- Plaza Beach Hotel - Beachfront Resort St. Pete Beach, Florida