I usually only review positive trips, but a recent stay at Beach House Suites by the Don Cesar at St. Pete Beach, FL was such a disaster I have to comment.
I booked a suite for a 3 night stay at this hotel through an agency, and added an additional night directly through the hotel. At check-in I was informed the additional night was not considered part of my existing reservation and I would have reregister for the final day. So be it.
Since pet pampering is a reported specialty of the Suites, I brought my dog along. The hotel website indicates "guests will receive a detailed brochure with information on pet services, dog walking routes, services and pet-friendly restaurants at check-in"; but the receptionist barely looked at my canine companion. And there was nary a sign of the welcome gifts which included a name tag, bowl, special treats, and “Pet in room” sign for housekeeping staff. (I was hard pressed to even find a Do Not Disturb sign in either of my suites).
My suite was located on the third floor with a wonderful view of the ocean. My stay was short-lived however. I'd barely unpacked and settled in before the AC unit malfunctioned and I was relocated to the first floor. I now had a stunning view of treetops and the roof of a snack bar.
It should be noted that the hotel suite balconies do not offer any privacy. It should also be noted that courtyard activities tend to be loud and balcony conversations are greatly amplified. It's noisy, plain and simple.
While my new suite was furnished nicely, it didn't offer much in the way of extras. The "fully equipped kitchen" described on the website leaves a lot to the imagination. (Stick with cold cuts and you'll do fine). The bedroom was roomy but the bed was in desperate need of a new mattress; the middle sag was so apparent the hotel had to be aware. The carpeting was in good condition but could have used a cleaning. And apparently air-conditioning maintenance is not high on the hotel's priority list because the AC malfunctioned in THIS suite as well. So you have the added convenience of waiting for a visit from maintenance on a regular basis.
The biggest surprise, which absolutely stunned me, was the outdoor pet exercise area. It was a narrow strip of grass located directly under beach suite balconies. The strategically placed signs requesting guests pick up after their dogs was interesting - and a daring feat at sundown since lighting is not provided (unless the moon counts). And there is literally nowhere else to walk a dog in the hotel area unless you use a vacant lot across the street. But be warned - it's full of brambles and stickers. All this for just $45.00 per pet/per night!
I attempted to reregister as requested on the third day. I was informed by a receptionist the hotel had handled the details so I needn't worry. Imagine my surprise when I received a call from the reservation manager that very afternoon advising my belongings had to be removed from my room because I hadn't checked out! Yes indeedy, I was just so impressed with this level of service and luxury.
Was I surprised my dog did not eventually receive his gifts? Not a bit. I would have been shocked otherwise. And to add insult to injury, the poor thing came home with fleas!
My mistake was booking a "name" hotel when I could have booked equal/better accommodations nearby at a lower price.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Beach House Suites by the Don CeSar are located directly on St. Pete Beach and feature seventy all-suite accommodations. Ideal for extended stays group blocks and families. Each suite is equipped with a separate living room with sofa bed, washer and dryer, and a kitchenette with mini-refrigerator, dishwasher, Keurig coffee-maker, microwave, and induction stove top. Pet-friendly accommodations are available. Guest rooms have spectacular views of the Gulf of Mexico. There is one heated outdoor pool. The property has a lounge and dining outlet, Sand Dollar Bar, adjacent to its pool area. Guests are able to use the world-class services and amenities at the nearby Don CeSar, which is about a half mile walk down the beach. These amenities include access to the two large heated outdoor pools, fitness center, yoga and aerobics classes, non-motorized watersport rentals, history tours, complimentary tastings, Kids Club, business center, PressReader access, and pool and beach games. Guests are able to make charges at the Spa Oceana, six drinking and dining outlets, and beach and watersport rentals. Access is included in the resort fee. Also included in the resort fee is premium Wi-Fi and two bottled waters, daily turndown service, upon request, and unlimited local calls. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Odigeo, Hotels.com, HotelQuickly, Ebookers and getaroom.com so you can book your Beach House Suites by The Don CeSar reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Beach House Suites By The Don Cesar Hotel Saint Pete Beach
- Beach Hotel Saint Pete
- Beach St Pete
- Beach Resort Saint Pete
- Beach House Suites By The Don CeSar St. Pete Beach, Florida