“A suite by Any Other Name.....”

Beach House Suites by The Don CeSar
Ranked #5 of 32 Hotels in St. Pete Beach
“A suite by Any Other Name.....”
Reviewed 21 March 2014

I usually only review positive trips, but a recent stay at Beach House Suites by the Don Cesar at St. Pete Beach, FL was such a disaster I have to comment.

I booked a suite for a 3 night stay at this hotel through an agency, and added an additional night directly through the hotel. At check-in I was informed the additional night was not considered part of my existing reservation and I would have reregister for the final day. So be it.

Since pet pampering is a reported specialty of the Suites, I brought my dog along. The hotel website indicates "guests will receive a detailed brochure with information on pet services, dog walking routes, services and pet-friendly restaurants at check-in"; but the receptionist barely looked at my canine companion. And there was nary a sign of the welcome gifts which included a name tag, bowl, special treats, and “Pet in room” sign for housekeeping staff. (I was hard pressed to even find a Do Not Disturb sign in either of my suites).

My suite was located on the third floor with a wonderful view of the ocean. My stay was short-lived however. I'd barely unpacked and settled in before the AC unit malfunctioned and I was relocated to the first floor. I now had a stunning view of treetops and the roof of a snack bar.

It should be noted that the hotel suite balconies do not offer any privacy. It should also be noted that courtyard activities tend to be loud and balcony conversations are greatly amplified. It's noisy, plain and simple.

While my new suite was furnished nicely, it didn't offer much in the way of extras. The "fully equipped kitchen" described on the website leaves a lot to the imagination. (Stick with cold cuts and you'll do fine). The bedroom was roomy but the bed was in desperate need of a new mattress; the middle sag was so apparent the hotel had to be aware. The carpeting was in good condition but could have used a cleaning. And apparently air-conditioning maintenance is not high on the hotel's priority list because the AC malfunctioned in THIS suite as well. So you have the added convenience of waiting for a visit from maintenance on a regular basis.

The biggest surprise, which absolutely stunned me, was the outdoor pet exercise area. It was a narrow strip of grass located directly under beach suite balconies. The strategically placed signs requesting guests pick up after their dogs was interesting - and a daring feat at sundown since lighting is not provided (unless the moon counts). And there is literally nowhere else to walk a dog in the hotel area unless you use a vacant lot across the street. But be warned - it's full of brambles and stickers. All this for just $45.00 per pet/per night!

I attempted to reregister as requested on the third day. I was informed by a receptionist the hotel had handled the details so I needn't worry. Imagine my surprise when I received a call from the reservation manager that very afternoon advising my belongings had to be removed from my room because I hadn't checked out! Yes indeedy, I was just so impressed with this level of service and luxury.

Was I surprised my dog did not eventually receive his gifts? Not a bit. I would have been shocked otherwise. And to add insult to injury, the poor thing came home with fleas!

My mistake was booking a "name" hotel when I could have booked equal/better accommodations nearby at a lower price.

Lesson learned.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel. There are plenty of excellent choices on St. Pete Beach.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
5 Thank obliv82

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (169)
Reviewed 17 March 2014

My husband and almost 2 year old & I stayed here based on TA reviews. We both loved the gym at the Don CeSar. The fact that we could use both locations was great. Food-especially breakfast, was amazing. Clean enough rooms (pretty sure toenails are under the bed though--not ours---ick!!). Bar and outside area very accommodating. Close walk to all things fun. Bars next store are noisy, but nothing you can't block out. Recommend visiting pass-a-grill. Nice walk, great views!

• Stayed March 2014
florida
Reviewed 7 March 2014

We were at the Beach House for family gatherings twice this winter. We love the staff, the rooms are large, and the setting is great. Every room has a lovely view of the beach. The living rooms have a sofa bed, plus a private bedroom. There is a nice dining area for eating or board games on rainy days. The baths are roomy and, at least some units have a washer/dryer.(I don't know if all do). The staff goes out of their way to help out, find things to do, arrange restaurants, etc. The kitchens widely vary in dishes, glasses, etc. But, if you ask for more wine glasses, they will find them for you. My only complaint is that towels are old and dingy. Some of mine even had dark gray streaks on them. Everything is getting older, but-good news! I hear that up-dating of the rooms is coming soon. For space, parking, nice big pool, beach view-this is a great place to stay.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Iowa City, Iowa
Reviewed 7 March 2014

We recently traveled to St. Pete for our son's Family Weekend at Eckerd College.

Booking Experience: There are about a million places to stay in this busy tourist area, but we eventually settled on Beach House Suites thanks to the special attention paid to us by the booking staff--especially Dannielle!!! Their thoughtful, caring attitude and brilliant customer care were breaths of fresh air. Outstanding!

Our stay: Absolutely amazing!!! Our Deluxe Queen Suite easily accommodated 4 of us and the 5th floor view to the gulf was absolutely STUNNING! The staff; from the desk to the pool, the beach and beyond, was friendly and attentive and honestly cared that we had a great time. We loved them!

Property: Our suite was large, well-stocked, open, spacious and incredibly clean and well-cared for. The layout was perfect with a huge deck (for a hotel) and a bedroom that was tucked away from the bar next door so sleep was sound. The property does need updating, which is our only suggestion for improvement.

We will definitely stay here again! Can't wait!

Room Tip: Ask for a gulf view. If you turn in early, rooms away from the noise of the beach bar next door woul...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
michigan
Reviewed 6 March 2014 via mobile

My family of four stayed for 5 nights. Pool was nice and warm, beach was great, service was excellent. Nice family hotel. No frills, but since this hotel is part of Don Cesar resort, you have a spa, food and room service. It will take a long time since they have to bring it from the other resort, about half a mile away. Parking is free, nice kitchen, full size fridge, full size stove and oven. Very clean, appliances are a little dated, but who needs modern appliances when you're on vacation. I will advice to come in April or later, since the ocean water is kind of cold in March. I highly recommended.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Hernan1
Reading, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 28 February 2014

If you are looking for glitz and glitter then stay at the main hotel Don CeSar but for a relaxed
vacation, our condo was perfect. Our room 4403 (corner-saw pool area and direct beach and sunset) and had been redone. The staff was friendly and helpful in every way. If you did have a small problem, it was solved as quick as possible. The hotel is 3star because the only have a small pool side bar but you can use all the facilities at the main hotel about 1/2 mile away.
There is a free shuttle but the main hotel is big and busy. Everyone we spoke to said they would return and it was great for families. The beach is not crowded and there were plenty of chairs at the pool (towels included). I have to admit that when we first drove up to the place, my heart sank but after entering our condo and seeing the gulf I felt at home. Our room was the top category grand king on the 4th floor. The property only has 5 floors, so select 3 and above and there are only 3 rooms with direct gulf front on each floor. We were there for 5nts and more would have been better!

Room Tip: 3rd floor and above and units with direct facing gulf front
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
St. Petersburg, Florida
Reviewed 27 February 2014 via mobile

Other reviews call this place dated. Now I know why. Bathroom fixtures from the 60s and vanities that are very low. Plus we couldn't get into our room because the card machine was broken. Then housekeeping didn't show up our first day there. There is no restaurant on site as the front desk had described when I called to check specifically. They meant the sister Don Cesar. The ocean views are spectacular... The one redeeming feature.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple