We stayed in room 4314 at the Beach House suites from June 20th-June 22nd. We were attending a wedding that was being held at the main Don CeSar hotel. When we were booking we were told this was a much cheaper way to stay if you didn't need 5 star amenities. Since we were bringing our two kids we thought this would be a much more casual experience for everyone and easier on our wallet.
Our room overlooked the beach and pool/bar. It had 2 full bathrooms (one bathroom had a standing shower while the other had a tub/shower combo). As other reviewers said, the furniture and fixtures are all quite a bit outdated and need updating. However, we knew this going in as we had read other reviews on here so this was no surprise.
The pool area:
The pool is nice and clean. They have several toys, balls, floaties for everyone to use at the pool free of charge. They setup a water dispenser for everyone's use with fresh orange sliced up in it (I think more for appearance). They also come and offer your free smoothie samples to you at the pool. Very nice touch! Chair cover towels and normal towels are provided at the pool area for everyone to use free of charge. The staff at the pool are constantly sweeping and cleaning and are very professional and courteous.
There is a bar next to the pool where you can get pretty much any type of drink you want and can pay cash or charge to the room. The bartender, Brian, is professional and quick to provide service. The drinks I had and my brother-in-law had were very good.
The actual pool is clean and large. I never felt it was too crowded while we were there. One corner is over 6 feet deep and the other sides are about 3 feet deep. My 4 year old enjoyed playing on the steps as she didn't want to get too deep.
Again this was also a highlight, the beach is not too crowded and very nice. They offer chair, umbrella, and cabana rentals. The cabanas are large enough for 2 chairs and provide adequate sun protection. We rented a cabana and 2 chairs. The cabana is $25 and the chairs are $10 each + tax. I think it came out to be about $52 with tax and they can charge it to the room. You can obtain these rentals by walking out onto the beach and looking for the guy in a blue shirt. They can also bring you towels at no charge.
The waves in June when we went weren't that bad however there was quite a bit of seaweed. This made it kinda hard to see in the water once you go out several feet but we did not mind. Beach area was clean but there were quite a few smokers out there.
Club/Bar near hotel on beach:
Next to the hotel on the beach there is a club or bar that plays loud music until about 2 AM. This makes it kinda hard to sleep if you are sleeping in the pull-out bed in the living room. Also, if you want to sit out on the balcony and listen to the waves at night you'll hear more music then waves.
Beds in hotel room:
Beds were uncomfortable and after a few days of sleeping on them all adults started getting back aches. If you are very picky about your bed, you may way to stay elsewhere.
Restaurants near hotel:
The shuttle will not take you to nearby hotels so keep this in mind. However, instead of calling a taxi you can call a service called "Freebie Rides" where the drivers just work off tips. We did this to take us to restaurants and we suggest tipping at least $5-7 as they are very prompt and courteous. Don't call until you are ready to go as they will show up in 5 minutes. There are several places to eat depending on what you want. We ate dinner at Woody's, and Sea Critters. Woody's is very casual (more or less an outside bar but they have inside seating too). Food was very good and very well priced. Most dinners were about $10-15. They have sea food, burgers, ect. The outside seating is near the water so it's nice to watch the boats go by.
Sea Critters is a step up from Woody's. The food is a little more than Woody's as most dinners were about $15-20. The amount of food you get is enormous. However, we found that the food was just subpar and we felt it was a little over priced for the taste. Plus, inside was pretty warm so we asked to sit on the patio area thinking it was cooler. It was slightly cooler but afterawhile it got pretty humid too as they had the sides covered so no breeze could pass through. They have tables out on the dock, we highly suggest sitting out there unless you want to sweat as you eat. One tip here, if you use the Feebie Ride you get 15% off your bill here. Just show them a business card (ask your driver for one).
We also ate breakfast and lunch at the restaurant at the Don Cesar (I cannot remember the name but it was the one next to the pools). It was very good but it's also very high priced. Our lunch for 2 adults and 2 kids was about $70. The breakfast for 3 adults and 2 kids was almost $100. They offer a breakfast buffet but it's $22 per person! A little over priced and the service at breakfast was very slow.
Shuttle service to/from Beachhouse Suites to Don CeSar:
This was our biggest issue with our stay. When we booked the room we were told they are prompt and it only takes about 5 minutes to wait on the shuttle. This is totally inaccurate information. Shuttling from the Beachhouse to the Don CeSar was always prompt. However, when we wanted to back we had to wait 35 minutes one time and another time we waited 45 minutes and eventually asked a Taxi cab that was dropping people off if he could take us. When we complained about this we were told they were understaffed and the shuttle driver has to sometimes check people in/out of hotel. Since they are only about 1-2 to 3/4 of a mile apart, you would think it would just take a few minutes tops to wait on the shuttle. Waiting 45 minutes for the shuttle is not right.
Overall we had fun at the beach and pool but if you go to the main hotel be ready to wait on the shuttle. The beds were uncomfortable and the bar/club next to the hotel that plays loud music until 2 am kinda kills the at the beach mood at night. We will not be coming back here.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Beach House Suites by the Don CeSar are located directly on St. Pete Beach and feature seventy all-suite accommodations. Ideal for extended stays group blocks and families. Each suite is equipped with a separate living room with sofa bed, washer and dryer, and a kitchenette with mini-refrigerator, dishwasher, Keurig coffee-maker, microwave, and induction stove top. Pet-friendly accommodations are available. Guest rooms have spectacular views of the Gulf of Mexico. There is one heated outdoor pool. The property has a lounge and dining outlet, Sand Dollar Bar, adjacent to its pool area. Guests are able to use the world-class services and amenities at the nearby Don CeSar, which is about a half mile walk down the beach. These amenities include access to the two large heated outdoor pools, fitness center, yoga and aerobics classes, non-motorized watersport rentals, history tours, complimentary tastings, Kids Club, business center, PressReader access, and pool and beach games. Guests are able to make charges at the Spa Oceana, six drinking and dining outlets, and beach and watersport rentals. Access is included in the resort fee. Also included in the resort fee is premium Wi-Fi and two bottled waters, daily turndown service, upon request, and unlimited local calls. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Travel Republic (UK), TripOnline SA, Odigeo, Agoda, Traveltool, S.L.U., TravelUp, Evoline ltd, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Beach House Suites by The Don CeSar reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Beach House Suites By The Don Cesar Hotel Saint Pete Beach
- Beach Hotel Saint Pete
- Beach St Pete
- Beach Resort Saint Pete
- Beach House Suites By The Don CeSar St. Pete Beach, Florida