“Utterly charming”
Review of Carlton House

Carlton House
Reviewed 14 April 2014

I stayed in one of the cottage efficiencies with a friend. Quiet, very clean and just perfect for a weekend getaway at less than half the price of anything else. Get the coffee at 9, it's quite good, but goes fast! Tons of (great) restaurants, beach bars (and other bars) within easy walking distance...Just a great place for a getaway. Wi-Fi works well, had no issues. We even arrived after closing (which is 6 PM) and found a hand-written note letting me know our room was unlocked and to call if we needed anything else. Room was in order, keys and wifi password were on the table for us...I'll definitely be back.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 2 March 2014

Quaint property, 1 block from the beach. Clean and quiet. Nice outdoor area with pool. If you are looking for lux, this is not the place for you, it is the bare bone basics. But well worth the price in peek season, as you are so close to everything and will pay 3 to 4 times the price any place else.

Room Tip: Little cottages, looked very cute, we were in a room on the second floor, it was very quiet. All the...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank britgirl1266
Reviewed 14 December 2013

I have been a regular at The Carlton House Motel for many years - it's a block from the beach and close to amenities. The place is family-owned and extremely cosy, with most rooms overlooking a small courtyard with exotic plants/flowers, a fountain and swimming pool.

The Carlton attracts friendly visitors, who enjoy getting to know and chat with others from around the world. I love it! Part of its charm is due to the care taken by Betty & Marian (owners), providing everything from fresh morning coffee to a variety of free books for our reading pleasure and tastefully decorated rooms. Most rooms are efficiencies, with fridge, stove, dishes, etc. included. There are also a few small cottages available.

It's well maintained, quiet and well located. Oh, and did I say it was friendly? As a solo traveler, I really like that. Like other "regulars" I meet there have said, this place truly feels like "home."

I just returned from my last stay from 1-12 December 2013 and my only regret was leaving!!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank Thelma M
Reviewed 2 December 2013

The location is convenient to the white sand beach 1.5 blocks away and to restaurants and downtown shopping about 3 blocks north and east. The decor is standard motel, though clean. The stay was fine for a night.

Room Tip: The cottages are preferable to the motel building.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank seawitchflorida
Reviewed 30 June 2013 via mobile

very nice place.Owner was pleasant and helpful.Rooms are larger than expected. Quiet motel a block from beach.Great restaurant's near by. Rooms had full size kitchen. Living room with two couches and a recliner. Large comfy bed.plenty of pillows. If I had to complain about ;anything it would be the small TV in bedroom ( but I did not come to Florida to watch TV.)

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank wisconsinanuty14hd
Reviewed 29 December 2012 via mobile

My wife and i stopped here 'on the fly' while touring the area. The rooms are clean, quiet, reasonably priced and nicely sized. Nearby there are multiple restaurants and bars. It is also only a short walk to the beach.

• Stayed: December 2012
2  Thank eandm33
Reviewed 2 September 2012

I had called another establishment to make arrangements for me, my mom and son. When I called they said they had plenty of room. When I called back later that day to set my dates they were sold out. Due to the Labor Day weekend and the RNC everything on the beach was sold out which was how I came across this gem. My mothers husband had just passed away and I wanted a nice setting for her. This place was spotless! I mean spotless! Very quite and very clean. The beds were much more comfortable than a lot of hotels and the price was very reasonable. The pool is small but clean and the walk to the beach took no more than 5 minutes! The owner is very sweet and very hard working. She was kind enough to stop in her busy day to give me suggestions to where to take my mother. All which were good suggestions and to give me directions. Very sweet lady and we will def. use this place again! Other hotels that cost more were not half as clean as this one! Or as comfortable. Thank you for a wonderful stay my mother had a very relaxing and good time and that means the world to me! Thank you!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family