“Beaches Are Beautiful”

Ranked #12 of 32 Hotels in St. Pete Beach
South Dartmouth, Massachusetts
“Beaches Are Beautiful”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2013

I recently stayed at the Guy Harvey resort again ( I had stayed there when it was previously Tradewinds Sandpiper) and the staff at the hotel is fabulous. From the front desk staff to the housekeeping staff they are all very friendly, professional and polite. I was a little worried because of the change in name but I have to say I was pleasantly surprised with everything.
We stayed in a suite which was just as I remembered-- clean, spacious with a beautiful view of the ocean. My friends and I will continue to visit here regulary.

Room Tip: Make sure you do get a room with an ocean view, the sunsets are beautiful.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank LuluChum
Katie M, Manager at Guy Harvey Outpost, a TradeWinds Beach Resort, responded to this review, 30 May 2013
So glad to hear that you enjoyed your return visit with us! Hope to see you again soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (679)
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2013

We just returned from a trip to St Pete Beach, staying at the Guy Harvey. We loved it here! From the moment we checked in, we felt relaxed and well taken care of. The pace and atmosphere was much calmer than the Tradewinds two hotels over, yet all of the amenities are the same. My son loved the water slide! We tried the floating cabana, paddle boarding and the water amusement park.

Room Tip: It is worth the extra money to have the 1 bedroom suite overlooking the gulf. The tip to avoid the...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and that your son enjoyed the High Tide Slide! Hope to see you back on the beach again soon.
St. Pete Beach, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2013

Normally reviews on this site are regarding rooms, food, ammenities, etc, mine will be about outstanding services and profesionalism. I have been a regular client for the Rays watch party at the Guy Harvey outpost, which is an original and unique one. Sometimes our company rents rooms to stay the night before game and be early at the beach where the party is hosted, and sometimes I just come along and enjoy the crew and the people. This past Sunday couple of very disturbing and drunk ladies came and they start creating problems, cursing on me and others. I tried to be polite and offer a peaceful answer to their request, but they continue to be out of control. Here is what I did mean with outstanding services, I walked away to avoid any confrontation, but few people went to talk to the Cabana Guy, his name JUDAH , and told him everything that went down. I walked to the pool and once back JUDAH came several times to make sure I was confortable, and to let me know managment was informed. Took accountability for something that others did, and went beyond his line of work to smooth the situation so we can all have fun. Manager came and finally offered me a cabana so we can enjoy the game. Place was packed, busy all the way around, and even with the busy day, JUDAH keep coming to check on me and make sure I was happy. Trade wings Resort has one of the best on their staff, the cabana post's guy JUDAH; this would it be my last appearance at this resort, Managment should be more carefull with the people they let in, or at least escort them out once they become a problem, but people like JUDAH, changed my mind about no coming back. So please come to the beach, and meet JUDAH, this guy will ensure that you have a great time, and will put a smile on your face during your staying. To the mgmt of the resort Tim & Travis thank you, to Judah, my personal gratitute.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2013

I reviewed this hotel when it was the Tradewinds Sandpiper. It was our favorite place to stay at St. Pete Beach and had been since the '80s. Sadly, that's no longer the case.

On the positive side the room was spotless, and there's still the cozy little coffee bar in the lobby. The beach is amazing along this stretch. You couldn't ask for a prettier setting in this area. They still share amenities with the Tradewinds Island Grand which appears to be completely unchanged.

However.....

I called the hotel directly to make this reservation. Big mistake. I should have just done the whole thing online. It would have been about ten times quicker. As it was, the reservation clerk kept me on the phone for a good 15 minutes during which time I must have said at least half a dozen times that we wanted a room with a balcony. What we got was a room with one of those grates across the sliding door. There ARE rooms with REAL balconies, but not this one. This is a distinction that should have been pointed out and WAS the last time I made a reservation at this hotel (when it was still the Sandpiper).

When we arrived the first thing they did after checking in was direct us to a person who "had something for us." ?? Turns out what that person had was a rather hard sell to sit down with a representative who would talk to us about some BlueGreen something or other (I think some sort of time share scheme) for "only an hour and a half," and we would get $100 Visa card. We had to say "no" emphatically a few times before they gave up trying to convince us to sign up for this immediately so they could get credit. How relaxing.

You have to reserve a cabana online each day after 5. If you want the front row, it's an extra $15 on top of the $25 resort fee. I can see them setting aside the first row for suites/upgraded rooms, but charging for it doesn't seem right. Also, they got the number wrong on the first day, and there was some confusion about where our cabana actually was.

If you have someone visit you, and they want to park their car, it will cost them or you $20. They used to give you a guest pass for the person.

The adult pool is now open until 11 p.m., a time which is not actually enforced, and after dark the "adult" part of it isn't enforced either. There were piles of wet towels everywhere that were not collected until the end of the day. There used to be an attendant who did this on a regular basis throughout the day. If you do not smoke, I recommend you not spend too much time in the pool area anyway.

They do give you a free drink, but the bartender outside is rude. Well, some things haven't changed. She was rude last time also.

The koi pond was so green there might or might not have been fish in there. We couldn't tell. There used to be koi in there. There is another area that might or might not BE a pond, but it looks more like a mosquito breeding ground/retention area.

I guess if you are a huge Guy Harvey fan this would be paradise for you. I don't care if I never see another one of his fish again because they are all over the place. The gift shop is 70% his stuff.

Why weren't our sheets tucked in all around? And why is the top sheet too short to actually cover the bed?

We were given these wristbands that we were supposed to wear the whole time we were there. We never put them on. About half the people there did not wear them. No one ever asked to see them.

When we checked out no one asked how everything was. Probably just an oversight.

Room Tip: If you want a real balcony you will have to make sure it is a real balcony and then check your confi...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Kansas City, MO
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2013

I've read many reviews and the complaints seem to center around room size. They have double beds, if that is a deal breaker look elsewhere. The room I had looked virtually new from top to bottom. Paint, carpet, linens all looked very new and very clean. It was well equipped with a bar area, microwave, refrigerator, table and chairs, closet and a big flat panel tv. I've also seen several complaints about the bed linens. I'm not sure what others expect, but these were on par with anything from Marriott or Westin. Quite nice in my opinion. The entire property is extremely clean. There is nothing deceiving about the photos on the website--what you see is what you get. Also, this hotel is well staffed with people that seem actually interested in the guests enjoying their stay. I checked out the sister property Island Grand, which seemed more geared towards entertaining families with children. The Guy Harvey is quieter and more relaxing environment. A great place to relax at the beach. I'm already booked for a six night visit in less than two weeks. Carmen at the front desk gets extra stars for making a first impression. That means everything in the hotel business!

Room Tip: Avoid the north side if you go to bed early as it faces a popular beach bar at the adjoining HoJo. T...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Greg G
Windermere
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2013

We planned a last minute trip to St. Pete for Mother's Day weekend. The Tradewinds Resort was fully booked so we wound up staying here at their "sister" hotel which is next door and you still get to use all the Tradewind amenities. Our room was an ocean front suite on the 6th floor. The view was nice. The room itself was clean and comfortable but a bit dingy and dated. I did not care for the "motel" style outdoor entrance for each room. The elevators and pools are extremely small and the parking lot was a bit over-crowded. The giant water slide was fun for the whole family. The entire staff is by far the most friendly, helpful staff I have ever encountered at any hotel, who are genuinely concerned about the enjoyment and comfort of your stay. For the $300 it was to stay here one night I just expected a bit more luxury.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank jillybear66
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2013

We went here the weekend of Mother's Day and it was the best mini vacation I've had in a long time. It was me, my significant other and our toddler. Our toddler had a great time! Great room service and great customer service! Would definitely go back! I would highly recommend this hotel to families and even couples who just want to get away!

Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Katie M, Manager at Guy Harvey Outpost, a TradeWinds Beach Resort, responded to this review, 22 May 2013
So glad to hear that your family had a wonderful stay with us during Mother's Day weekend! Thank you for celebrating with us. We hope to see you again soon!