“Great location. Friendly staff.”

Guy Harvey Outpost, a TradeWinds Beach Resort
Ranked #9 of 32 Hotels in St. Pete Beach
“Great location. Friendly staff.”
Reviewed 5 January 2014 via mobile

Great installations. The staff went out of their way to provide excellent service. I did not have a reservation and was lucky enough to find availability. They were super helpful and professional. Provided me with an incredible rate and a suite with ocean view! One of the best experiences I've had from the hospitality industry. The blew me away.

Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
TradeWinds-Leni, Manager at Guy Harvey Outpost, a TradeWinds Beach Resort, responded to this review, 23 January 2014
Hello lovefortrav,
We are so happy to hear that we were able to accommodate you and in a way that exceeded your expectations. We're thankful that you decided to stay with us. Thank you for sharing your experience. Please come back to see us again soon!
Leni

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (716)
East Northport, New York
Reviewed 5 January 2014

My husband and I wanted to get away from the cold of the Northeast, so we booked our stay here. The employees were the best part of the hotel! The front desk concierge Elisha went out of her way to explain about the area, and I really felt that she wanted our stay to be perfect! The grill in the hotel was wonderful -- we ate there three of the four nights that we were there. The servers there were friendly and so helpful! I would highly recommend this hotel experience.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Hello mek55f,
It's wonderful to know that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay. Thank you so much for choosing our resort as your place to escape the cold weather. We appreciate that you shared your experience with fellow travelers on TripAdvisor. We welcome you back as soon as you are able to return to the beach.
Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin
Reviewed 3 January 2014

My wife and I don't travel very much.

We were in St. Pete Beach for my oldest son's wedding on December 20, 2013. We had never been to St. Pete Beach or a Guy Harvey/Tradewinds facility.

We took advantage of the Southwest Airlines joint marketing effort with Guy Harvey and reserved our flight and hotel through their offer on-line.

We checked in on December 19, 2013 and left on December 23, 2013.

Being from Wisconsin, we found that the weather was beyond beautiful with 85 degrees, bright sunshine and no rain every day.

We experienced a few glitches, but were taken care of on an extrordinary basis by the Guy Harvey Staff.

Our room was beyond our wildest expectations.

The view was breath taking from the top floor of the hotel.

The beach was fantastic.

Parking was easy and safe.

We especially wanted to recognize the following Staff Members for their outstanding service and attention to detail that took care of our stay and concerns:

*Alonso - front desk
*Elisha - front desk
*Front desk young lady that looks a lot like Elisha
*James - front desk
*Deanna - front desk
*Amy - Deli Service Center in lobby
*Ivonne - Deli Service Center in lobby
*Concierge Staff - Dana
*Ricky - Beach Staff
*Cat - Beach Staff
*Other Beach Staff whose names escape me (a repair guy and a captain)
*Captain Tim
*Room Service Staff
*Guards at entrance to Guy Harvey

My son entertained the Staff and Guests with our singing and guitar playing in the lobby with the permission of the Staff.

We felt at home and like family.

Thank you Guy Harvey.

We will definitely be back.

Room Tip: Be sure to get a view of the Gulf of Mexico!
Hello Jefferson D,
First of all, congratulations to your son and his new wife! We are thrilled that we were able to make this special time even better. Thank you for taking the time to specifically recognize our outstanding staff members. Knowing that you all felt at home at our property, makes us smile. Please come visit us again as soon as you can.
jtk01l
Reviewed 1 January 2014

We checked in Friday 12/27/2013 and checked out Sunday 12/29/2013.

Miriam, part of the phone reservation staff ,was very helpful. She took all the time we needed and reviewed in detail each and every room tier available at both this hotel and the sister Tradewinds hotel. This was the cheapest hotel available for a last minute trip from Orlando. We, as a family of four (10 yr old boy and 11 yr old girl) had never been to the Gulf or St. Pete Beach or the sister Tradewinds hotel or the Guy Harvey Outpost previously. So, this probably added to our missed expectations.

First off to be totally fair, let me say that the standard room (1828) we selected was the lowest room tier that was offered to us and was only offered as every other room tier was rejected by us due to price. If price is of no concern, or if you are not that worried about your price for a three star establishment, then you should be very satisfied as long as you choose a more costly suite style room.

I can honestly say that I have never (and I mean never) have seen such consistent hard work from staff surrounding us during our visit. From Deanna at the front desk (during check in and subsequent front desk visits) to Mark Stanton Jr (who was always moving around the facility while doing such work as shuttling the towels from the pool area to the laundry or taking down umbrellas during high wind warnings), I was personally very impressed. The staff always worked hard and seemed to take great pride in the job they were doing. Being a resort on the beach, the staff did an awesome job of vacuuming the front desk hallway floors to keep sand to a minimum. All the staff I ran into had a mission and were always friendly to talk to when I took time to engage them.

As far as hotel location goes, this hotel (as is the sister Tradewinds hotel) is right on St. Pete Beach. There was one adult only outdoor pool (which we did not use) on the left side of the facility as well as a kids/family pool at the rear of the facility. This heated outdoor kids pool was used by our children continuously whenever they were not on the beach or in our room. The pool was fantastic and made our children very happy and content. There were plenty of children in the pool in the afternoon/evenings and us adults could sit around the pool in lounge chairs drinking comfortably. It was a nice touch to have the tiki bar right past the kids pool. The 5-6pm nightly free happy hour (included in the additional daily activity fee) served to bring most of the families back to the hotel. This got most of the kids in the kids pool together while us adults lined up for our free drinks of either guys grogg, wine or beer. While it did get quite crowded during this hour, it was great to see all the kids getting along in the pool while us adults could just chill drinking with the notion that we were also keeping an eye on our children.
This kids pool area with the tiki bar and the lounge chairs, had the added benefit of a direct view over the beach to the Gulf.

As far as food is concerned, Guys Gulfside Grill was the only available restaurant on site at the Guy Harvey Outpost. Luckily, we had a breakfast for a family of four included at no charge. The cost of this breakfast for a family of four would have cost almost twice as much as a Perkins Restaurant dinner here in the Midwest (think scrambled eggs, toast, hash browns, bacon, coffee, etc ordered at our table side). While the breakfast was fantastic and quite tasty, we just cannot say we would have been happy with the price. Looking at the menu in general, it was simply more pricey than what we would have been comfortable with. We chose not to eat there during our stay for any payed meals. This is unfortunate, as we are sure the taste would be top shelf and the view from the back outdoor patio (over the kids pool past the tiki hut and lounge chairs) of the beach and the Gulf was simply fantastic. Not to sound picky, but again if price is no object or you have the cash to justify your visit, you would not be disappointed I am sure.

Now, on to the room itself. This is why I chose to drop the rating two stars. Upon walking into our room, we noticed the following:
a) The two door mirrored closet doors were both off their tracks (while probably a simple fix, it was discouraging to see it left in that position).
b) The inside bathroom door handle appeared to be somewhat loose and partially detached from the main door assembly. While the handle worked, it left you with the feeling you would be locked inside the bathroom with a door knob in your hand.
c) Whenever the toilet was flushed manually, it preformed a double flush which seemed to take forever.
d) When using the shower or bath, the water handle with a single hot/cold function, worked very loosely like it had seen its better days.
So, while there was nothing technically bad or unusable about our room, the total feeling was one of an older property that was not properly inspected, managed or refreshed for the price that the premium location was demanding. Again, part of the cons of tripadvisor is that each review is subjective. I would hate for this room review to keep somebody from experiencing the facility. Buyer beware and manage your expectations appropriately.

As for the included activity fee, the daily 5-6pm included free happy hour as mentioned above was great. The free daily cabana on the beach was also a very nice touch. We reserved ours daily after 2pm at the computer to the right of the front desk. It was always ready at 8am the next morning as advertised. For the very short walk up to the Tradewinds resort along the beach front, the free tall inflatable slide access was also a nice to have. While both children loved their time using the slide, they were not obsessive about it and only took less than ten slides a day. This was due more to the beauty of the sand and water than it was the slide. In our short time there, we did not have time to use any of the other features at the sister Tradewinds up the beach, such as miniature golf or the peddle powered boats in the moat around the hotel.

One other point of disclosure. Once you have made your reservation, you may be talking with someone from member services. This is a code word for "we work for the Blue Green Vacation Club and need to get you into a presentation on buying points based vacation adventures."
When you get to the front desk, you will need to sit with the same member services staff that will attempt to schedule you for this same presentation before handing you your parking pass. If you are not interested, simply firmly say so and go on your way. The staff is very friendly and understanding. We choose to go through the presentation and received the promised reward.

In closing, our children had a blast. To present full disclosure, both my children watched me typing this review and were very upset that I rated this a 3 out of 5. So, for both my 10 and 11 year old, I have to tell you that they have both rated this time at the Guy Harvey Outpost "a 5 out of 5 if you don't count the room, dad - and hey dad, remember, we only used the room to sleep and shower in anyways."

Congrats to the staff of the Guy Harvey Outpost. Now, to only be able to top this vacation next year!

2 Thank jtk01l
Norwalk, Connecticut
Reviewed 1 January 2014

Booked a last minute getaway through delta vacations and got a decent deal on this hotel. It is right on the beach and we had a beutiful view of the gulf and the amazing sunsets. There are tons of activities right at the resort and the staff went out of thier way to make our stay great!

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade to gulf front and full acess to resort services.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Hello travelmom1962,
We're very excited to hear that you enjoyed our beautiful beach views and fun activities while you were here. Thank you for sharing your experience and for recognizing our fantastic staff members. We hope you'll think of us the next time you need another beach escape.
United States
Reviewed 1 January 2014

We just returned from 6 days/5 nights at the Guy Harvey Outpost on St. Pete's Beach. This is the first time my husband and I have stayed at this resort and on St. Pete's Beach. The resort was very nice and clean and the staff were very friendly and helpful. Victor and Jonathon, the bartenders at the beach bar were great and did a really good job. They serve free rum punch, house beer and wine between 5-6 PM (the punch could have had more rum in it). The secret is to get a seat at the bar before 5 or you have to stand in line to get a drink. We only ate at the restaurant on the property only once because the service was really slow, 30 minutes to get an appetizer and water. The rooms were really nice and the beds and pillows were really comfortable. We did go over to the Island Grand (the other Tradewinds resort) and ate at the Flying Bridge, which has really good sandwiches, and we ate at Bermuda's and had really good steak and lobster. The Toasted Monkey is a bar/restaurant next door which had really good food for a reasonable price and they also had live music at night. The beach is one of the most beautiful that we've been to, it compares to Negril's Seven Mile beach. The weather was a bit cool, but we knew going this time of year that may happen.
The only negative I have to say about this resort is the price of the drinks at the bars. $9.50 for a drink and almost $5 for a domestic beer is a bit steep. You can go to Beef O'Bradys at the Island Grand and get a bucket of beer (4 beers) for $10 which was a good deal.
We did do the time share presentation because the day was rainy and they said it was going to be a 1.5 hour presentation but it ended up being over 2 hours. I wasn't very happy about that and when we told them we weren't buying our person was pushy and kept asking us why. Finally I told him they had 5 minutes to finish or we were leaving. We did get $100 to use at the resort for food and drinks and a 2 night 3 day stay at one of their properties, but there is a catch to that as well. I have done timeshare presentations before so I knew what to expect so I only have myself to blame.
I would definitely go to St. Pete's Beach again and I would stay at Guy Harvey again of I got a good deal.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 5823 which is a standard rooms with 2 double beds on the 5th floor. It said it wa...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LoveVakay2004
Hello Donna2004,
Thank you for sharing your feedback and for recognizing our dedicated staff members for their efforts. We're so glad you got to enjoy our beautiful beach, despite the cool weather that popped up during your visit. We very much hope that you will come back to see us again.
Wilmington, North Carolina
Reviewed 1 January 2014

We visited St. Pete Beach and stayed at the Guy Harvey Outpost as part of a college football bowl package. From the moment we checked in until we departed 4 days later, we experienced the most friendly staff at any hotel we have ever stayed at. Our room was spacious enough for my wife and I, with a little kitchen that was a nice plus. The grounds were very tropical and decorated beautifully for the holidays. We utilized the pools, hot tub, beach cabanas, pool bar and restaurant...all top notch. We picked this hotel for the fact that it was smaller than the Tradewinds, but liked the idea that we could walk down and utilize the facilities at the larger resort. Would we stay here again? Absolutely!!

Hello Thomas W,
Your words speak volumes and we're so happy to hear that your stay was wonderful from beginning to end. As the official beach resort for the Beef 'O' Brady's Bowl, thank you for staying with us during that time. We're so glad you enjoyed all the amenities and activities. We can't wait until you come back to see us again.