“Overrated & Overpriced”

Guy Harvey Outpost, a TradeWinds Beach Resort
Ranked #7 of 32 Hotels in St. Pete Beach
Reviewed 7 May 2014

We stayed here one night before moving to the sister property that hosted our conference. Thank God it was only one night. The discounted price of $250/night was at least $200 too much. I felt like I was in a 1 star motel. When our shuttle turned into the parking lot, our mouths dropped open, there was massive construction everywhere and the entrance looked far from inviting.

The hotel staff were not the most attentive. It took a while to receive service. Once we did have the opportunity to speak with a clerk, she made us feel like we were being difficult. When I asked about shuttle service between the two properties, which was something promised when the reservation was made, she walked away, threw up her hands, and said "I can't deal with this"? However, in the end, she did return and made all of the necessary arrangements.

We were told that we received an upgrade, however the room was extremely small and the furniture was circa 1980. We might have been able to look past this if the room was clean. The bathroom was totally disgusting and unusable. Prior to our using the bathroom the housekeeping staff had to clean the bathroom. The bed comforter was stained and the vents looked like they had not been cleaned in years. We were at the end of a hall that flooded from all of the rain; hence we had to walk through puddles to get to our room.

We ventured downstairs to the on-site restaurant. Although it was raining we opted to sit outside under the awning to eat due to the frigid temperatures inside. Unfortunately the awning leaked in several places, so our seating options were limited. The table we chose looked safe, but a few minutes later, my colleague had to re-position her beverage to avoid dripping rain water. The bar was located in a Tiki hut approximately 20 feet from the restaurant. The waiters/waitresses were transporting food and drinks between the two venues uncovered in moderately heavy rain. So anyone under the awning, who wanted a drink from the bar, received a drink watered down by rain; and if you were in the bar area and wanted food, it arrived soggy.

Needless to say, I will do my homework and read reviews prior to booking a room. I booked this based upon the advice from the staff of the sister property, Tradewinds. I won't make this mistake again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Tam H
JustLetGo8, Guest Relations Manager at Guy Harvey Outpost, a TradeWinds Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 11 May 2014

As the Director of Guest please accept my apology for failing to meet your expectations at the Guy Harvey Outpost. I am thankful that we were able to accommodate you at the Island Grand. I have forwarded your concerns to our General Manager and others for further review. However, the construction is nearly completed and the Grand Opening of the restaurant is scheduled for May 16th. After reviewing your folio, I see that a complimentary upgrade was provided. Seeing that you then moved to the Island Grand, I just wish that you would have reached out to any of our managers or myself with your concerns.
I hope this will not prevent you from staying with us again, and please let me know I could be of any further assistance.
Thank you.drogers@twresort.com

Write a ReviewReviews (2,879)

Reviewed 7 May 2014

My husband, 10 year old son and myself stayed here for four nights at the beginning of May 2014. Here are the pros and cons:

PROS:
1. Excellent staff. Everyone who worked here was nice and friendly.

2. Location is right on the beach. We had a room that overlooked the pool and beach and the view was amazing!!

3. Room and hotel are kept very clean.

4. You can use all the amenities at their sister property, Tradewinds, which is very, very close to this hotel.

CONS:
1. Hotel is next door to a nightclub, the Toasted Monkey, which plays loud music in the evening. Our room was on the side of the hotel that is adjacent to the nightclub and we were subjected to listening to the loud music when trying to relax/sleep in our hotel room in the evening. When we called the front desk about this they were very nice and explained that there was a city ordinance requiring the nightclub to "quiet down" at 11pm. The noise from the nightclub did disappear at 11pm however up until then it was difficult to relax or get to sleep. If you are looking to relax in your room in the evening I would suggest requesting a room on the other side of the hotel. And I would recommend to the hotel not to put families on this side of the hotel.

2. Poor water pressure in the shower - no matter what time of day.

3. For the price we paid per night I expected a higher quality room. You are basically paying a five star hotel price for a three star motel room. We stayed at the Trump in Miami last year for the same price and the suite was much, much nicer. And Trump was also on the beach. With Guy Harvey you are definitely paying a lot to be on the beach, don't expect the price you pay to be reflective of the quality of the room.

Overall I would recommend this hotel, just make sure to take into account the cons listed above. Next time we are in the area we will stay at the Tradewinds. Would have stayed there this time but they were sold out.

Room Tip: If you don't like loud music in the evening request a room on the side of hotel that does not fa...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Linda_A_I
Reviewed 6 May 2014 via mobile

The overall friendliness of the staff really made our 2 night stay outstanding. Great beach front location, will be especially nice when Rumfish is complete. The complimentary happy hour is a welcoming touch and makes you forget about the construction. I'm not a fan of the mint scented shampoo and toiletries. I'd recommend a more appealing scent. Housekeeping was excellent.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank PolkCountyGirl
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Really enjoyed our stay at the Guy Harvey Outpost! The staff was very friendly and we enjoyed talking with them as we enjoyed drinks beachside at the Sand Bar. The free happy hour from 5 pm to 6 pm was great too. We stayed in one of the courtyard balcony suites and the room was the perfect size. Just wish the weather had been better as it rained three of the five days we were there. Overall a great experience, would definitely recommend. Also, be sure to try to JetLev, it was an awesome time.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
TradeWinds-Leni, Manager at Guy Harvey Outpost, a TradeWinds Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2014

Hello Brian M,
Thank you so much for sharing your review. It's nice to hear that your family had a great experience with our staff, accommodations, and amenities at our Guy Harvey Outpost property. So glad you got to try the JetLev, too! What a rush, huh? Hope you'll bring the family back to see us again.
Kind Regards,
Leni

Reviewed 6 May 2014 via mobile

We have been staying at the Tradewinds Sandpaper for the last 10+ years straight and this last visit may be our last!

Faulty fire alarms. Cars parked in front of building in the fire lane to where the fire truck could not get through. No parking due to construction and very poor planing. No hot water for 2 days. Housekeeping very worthless this year.

The room prices are very high and no break for returning customers. If we are going to pay this price to stay at this resort we expect at least a 4 star, I would now rate this resort at almost a 2!!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
JustLetGo8, Guest Relations Manager at Guy Harvey Outpost, a TradeWinds Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2014

As the Director of Guest Satisfaction please accept my apology for failing to meet your expectations. I want to make sure that you remain a loyal customer of ours at The Guy Harvey OutPost. The fire alarms were a malfunction of which was immediately corrected after further testing. The hot water issue represented two separate issues. One with construction which we were aware of and the second which was due to the public utility company making unexpected repairs on their equipment the following day. The front desk staff were cooperating with all guest concerns and providing resolution for the inconvenience when contacted. The parking is limited as we are now in the final stages of the completion of the new RumFish restaurant. This, combined with the 33,500 gallon aquarium with 80 different types of fish from the local waters, the beachfront enhancement with fire pits, private cabanas and a soon to be wave machine will provide the ultimate guest experience. Again, I apologize for the inconvenience this may have created as we are trying to have this all completed in a very short time frame between Spring Break / Easter and the beginning of Summer. If I could be of any further assistance, please don't hesitate to contact me directly.
Thank you. drogers@twresort.com

Reviewed 5 May 2014

This is our third trip to GHO. It was almost our last! When we got there, there was construction in the front and back of our room. A gas line had broken in the courtyard and the whole area in front of our room was dug up the entire vacation with workers digging and jack-hammering every morning. We couldn't even sit outside to have our coffee in the morning! We were awakened at 3:00 a.m. with the emergency alarm to evacuate the building immediately....not a good situation for a person like myself with anxiety issues. This alarm went off 2 more times in the week that we were there. And then the last straw was our 25th anniversary. We had made reservations at the Palm Court restaurant, came up from a long day at the beach full of sand, lotions and salt water to find that we had no water in our room!!!!! No showers for us that night!!!!!!

Now you would think with all that had happened we would say goodbye to GHO but thanks to a wonderful staff we will be back. I would first and foremost like to thank Janet the manager at the front desk. She went above and beyond to make sure that we were compensated and satisfied. She was extremely helpful and sympathetic to our situation. Next.....a big hello and thank you to Mary at the coffee shop! She is one of the most energetic morning people I know and made me look forward to my morning coffee every day!! I would also like to acknowledge Gerda who has some fantastic ideas for the adult pool!!! Can't wait to see what's new next year. To Daniel at Palm Court....thank you for a wonderful 25th anniversary dinner. Your service was excellent and greatly appreciated. And finally, to Basilio at the pool, Sissy at the Sand Bar and all the rest of the staff of GHO...thank you so much for making our vacation so enjoyable! We'll see you next spring!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Tracy M

Hello Tracy M,
Wow! On behalf of the entire staff at TradeWinds Island Resorts, I'd just like to apologize once again for the unfortunate chain of events that you experienced while you were here. However, I'm SO proud of our staff and their ability to turn what could've been a terrible visit into one that you enjoyed. Thank you so much for recognizing each of them. We'll be sure to pass along your kind words. Also, thank you for your understanding and for deciding to come back to see us again next spring. We truly value your business and your loyalty.
Kind Regards,
Leni

Reviewed 5 May 2014

This review came to be because I decided I wanted to do something special for our favorite barista at the coffee shop - Mary. She has been very friendly though out the years and we appreciate her!

We have been regulars at the Tradewinds for many years and this is the first year we have had major issues. The fire alarm went off twice, once 3 a.m. The 3 a.m. incident was due to something faulty within the system. We then got a note on our door, the next morning, saying that we would be without hot water that evening. We were then without hot water the next night too. The only help they offered was a key to a room that did have hot water so we could shower. The second time the alarm went off was a false alarm.

I felt that Tradewinds wasn't very apologetic about the events. Our three families have come yearly for a long time. Tradewinds is not a cheap place to stay but, until this year, we had always felt our stay was as important to them as it was to us. This year, I felt our business was not very important to them.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Liann252

As the Director of Guest Satisfaction please accept my apology for failing to meet your expectations. Even though the false alarms were beyond our control, they have since been corrected so as not to provide any further guest inconveniences. However, the hot water situation was also delayed but for different reasons. The first night it was correctly identified as related to our construction and tie into the main gas line. However, the second outage was due to the public utilities company making an emergency repair on their equipment which no body had prior notice.
Upon seeing your review, I immediately forwarded it to our General Manager and other managers for further review. I'm pleased to know that our correspondence with you has resulted in complete resolution with arrangements being made for a return visit. If I could be of any further assistance. please don't hesitate to contact me directly.
Thank you. drogers@twresort.com