“Guy Harveys Outpost - Rumfish Restaurant”

Guy Harvey Outpost, a TradeWinds Beach Resort
Ranked #9 of 32 Hotels in St. Pete Beach
Dublin, Ireland
“Guy Harveys Outpost - Rumfish Restaurant”
Reviewed 18 June 2014

We didn't stay in this hotel, but in the sister Tradewinds hotel. However we went to the Rumfish Restaurant on our last night. It is not cheap, but was a wonderful experience. The children in our party had seen the fish tank being installed on TV, and the owner who happened to be eating in the restaurant that night brought them up to see the tank from above and let them feed the fish. They just had the most wonderful experience. The tank really makes the restaurant in terms of atmosphere, but the food is also wonderful. The staff were really lovely (Abbey was our waitress, and Mitch one of the waiters explained to the children the names of all the different fish in the tank). Would highly recommend the restaurant.

1 Thank M0Kane
TradeWinds-Leni, Manager at Guy Harvey Outpost, a TradeWinds Beach Resort, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Hello M0Kane,
Wow! Talk about being in the right place at the right time! Sounds like your children definitely got to experience something very special. We're so glad they got to take it all in first-hand and see one of their favorite television shows come to life. Thank you for taking the time to share the details of your visit to the restaurant and to recognize our outstanding staff members. We hope you'll make it a point to come back to visit RumFish Grill and the Guy Harvey Outpost.
Kind Regards,
Leni

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (691)
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed 18 June 2014

I am currently staying at the Guy Harvey Outpost to attend a contest at the nearby Tradewinds Grand. The Rumfish restaurant is fantastic and the staff have been extremely helpful. However, my stay has become complete torture due to the constant noise coming from the room next door to mine. I'm not sure if every room has this extremely unfortunate feature, but my room has a large metal door in the wall between my room and my neighbors' and though it cannot.be opened, I can hear LITERALLY every word they are saying, as well as every sound coming from their blaring television. It is past midnight at this point, and their constant noise (and shrieking children) show no signs of letting up. I am worried that I will be exhausted throughout my conference due to these neighbors. Guy Harvey Outpost, WHY oh why are your walls so thin?????????????

• Stayed June 2014
2 Thank beachlover1234567
JustLetGo8, Guest Relations Manager at Guy Harvey Outpost, a TradeWinds Beach Resort, responded to this review, 22 June 2014
As the Director of Guest Satisfaction please accept my apology for the noise disturbance of the room next door. As soon as I read this, I sent you a message to which you replied. As you stated, security did respond to your call and the family next door when asked cooperated without any further concerns. We also had made arrangements for a room move if necessary for you, which turned out not to be the case. Thank you for your positive comments regarding our new restaurant The RumFish Grill and staff. I appreciate your assistance in contacting me as requested, which also allowed for any other concerns that you may have had to be addressed immediately while here. I look forward to seeing you at the next conference, if not sooner.
Thank you. drogers@twresort.com
Reviewed 17 June 2014

I had no idea what was in store for me when I booked my room for the educational conference I'm currently attending. Initially, I was a bit upset, because when I had booked my room I was told that I would have to stay at the Guy Harvey Outpost on Sunday, but that I could move over the Island Grand for Mon-Thursday (where all the conference events were being held), but when I checked in, they said I was booked for the whole time at the Guy Harvey. The nice front desk man felt bad and offered to give me a "good room" - since I wasn't expecting much, the gulf view suite he gave me was a pleasant surprise. Although, travelling alone, I would have liked a king bed, instead of two somewhat short doubles.

Pros: The staff are ALL really nice, helpful, and friendly. Whenever I pass someone with a hotel nametag in the hall, they ALWAYS say hello. I know some people don't care about that sort of thing, but I appreciate the effort they take to make people feel welcome. The beach is wonderful, gorgeous water, cabanas (just not in the front row) included with the room, towels available by the pool, hammocks, and fire-side lounges.

Cons: The restaurant is REALLY expensive for subpar food, so is the coffee shop by the front desk. Fortunately, there's a 7-11 and a Subway in walking distance (right across the street) so you're not totally stuck eating their food. I wish I'd known this before I spent about $75 on meals/snacks. Luckily, my conference is providing breakfast and lunches for the remaining time I'm here, but when planning a trip it's really important to factor in the cost of meals. I was considering bringing my family back here, as it looks like a great place for families, but without the group discount rate I was given for my conference and the conference-provided meals, this could prove to be a VERY expensive trip. It would be nice if you could buy a prepaid food/drink card, so you don't have to pay for everything individually or charge it to your room.

Overall: The location of this resort was a fabulous bonus to an excellent conference. It was very invigorating to be able to hit the beach after a long day of classes. I'd like to come back, but I don't know if I will - at least not without some sort of discount or incentive.

Room Tip: The higher the floor, the less noise they'll have. If you have a suite, stop and grab some groce...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Hello T F,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We love to hear that "it was very invigorating to be able to hit the beach after a long day of classes." We appreciate your feedback as well and hope you will consider coming back to visit again. TradeWinds Island Resorts often offers various discounts including a 'return guest discount' or there's sometimes a special 'teacher discount' available. It's recommended to contact our reservations department directly to find out about all the available discounts/specials so you can make sure you're getting the best price possible. Hope to see you again!
Kind Regards,
Leni
Lakeland, Florida
Reviewed 16 June 2014

The best part of the Guy Harvey Outpost was the view. We had a 1 BR Suite facing the gulf. Also, the cabanas the hotel provides right on the beach was very nice to have. Everything else had a lot to be desired. First, the room was smaller than the pictures online show. The 3-D photography makes it look larger than it really is. The 1 BR suite was really one long room. The only reason why they get away with calling it a suite is that there is a door that separates the bedroom from the rest. The suite appeared clean, but upon closer inspection, the baseboards behind the beds were dusty, there was popcorn from the previous guests under the television cabinet, and there was trash and dead roaches behind the drapes covering the sliding glass door. Also, the glass door had mildew on it. The pullout bed in the couch had a hole in the middle and was terribly uncomfortable. The closet door in the bedroom was off the track. Furthermore, the trash can in the kitchen had food at the bottom of it. The housekeeping was another problem. When we asked for our room to be cleaned the second day, it was. But from then on, we had to go looking for toilet paper and clean towels. Also, we had to take out the kitchen trash ourselves. Our room was totally ignored the entire time we were there, and we were not given any instructions otherwise. Another issue was the Guy's Grill restaurant on the premises. The food was mediocre at best and very expensive, and the service was terrible. We had to wait a lengthy time for our food, and even longer for the bill. On our last occasion eating there, we asked three times for the bill, and finally just went inside to get it ourselves. The surrounding area did not have enough eating establishments to support the number of hotels. Maybe they plan it that way so you have no choice but to eat at the hotels. The mini-bar in the guest rooms is an entrapment. A curious teenager in our party lifted a bottle of wine from the refrigerator, but promptly replaced it. However, we were still billed for it even after someone came up to check the contents of the mini-bar Apparently, alarms go off in the office when the mini-bar is accessed. Furthermore, the room was extremely over priced considering the size and what was offered. In addition to the standard room charge, we were charged a tax for each day of our stay, plus an resort fee for each day, as well as other "mysterious" charges. Overall, the staff was friendly enough. But, the entire affair was just too expensive for what we got. The actual amount we paid for at least $100 MORE than what we were quoted. We would not recommend this hotel to anyone, and we will not be staying there in future.

3 Thank Cindy H
As the Director of Guest Satisfaction please accept my apologies for failing to meet your expectations. Upon reading your review, I immediately forwarded it to all the necessary departments for further review. Our Housekeeping managers have puller the inspection sheet for your room to document it further with the staff. Also, your room was serviced as stated the first day, however for the second day, as per policy for our staff, a refused service was signed and you departed the next day. Regarding your reservation, I personally listened to the call. The room rate, resort amenity fee, applicable taxes and even parking with a total were correctly identified as this is the standard procedure with all reservations. This too was included in your confirmation which was emailed to you. Regarding the mysterious charges, your reservation included four guest. The cabana provided has space for two guest. Per our beach service policy, additional cabanas may be purchased based on availability.
If I could be of any further assistance, please don't hesitate to contact me directly.
Thank you. drogers@twresort.com
Reviewed 15 June 2014

I stayed over the weekend and had booked the hotel with orbitz. When I got there, they upgraded my room (for additional fees of course) and gave us an excellent room. We had a courtyard room with a view of the koi pond and the gulf coast on the top floor with a balcony. The room was very clean. The staff were very friendly and immediately introduced all the activities for the weekend and gave me a map of their facility.

I can see how some people would be unhappy with their room, especially if it didn't have a balcony or if it was above the pool where kids are allowed. There is also an adult pool where kids cannot go, which was nice. It does not have a view though. Pay for an upgrade or see if you can change rooms, not every room is going to be perfect.

There is a Starbucks on the main floor and two restaurants in the immediate area. There is also a bar by the pool. Staff told us some restaurants were new and if you don't have a reservation, you probably won't be able to get in. That was the case for the one in the parking lot area with a huge aquarium.

You can literally walk right onto the beach, can also reserve a two person cabana until 6pm. The beach was very clean as well. At night they light the fire pits and you can sit around them or in a hammock, too.

The only cons I had was:

1. Parking. There is supposed to be parking for every room, yet when I left Saturday morning and returned Saturday afternoon, there was absolutely no parking in the garage and the main at the gate just shrugged his shoulders. I had to park in the restaurant parking lot and another guest parked in front of the hotel.

2. Cost of drinks. A margarita and one of their house drinks cost $19.50. They were however, very tasty.

3. Noise at night. I could hear the band through the balcony at the hotel next door, as well as the drunk people two doors down on their balcony. Those drunk people were also loud in the hallway. Neither of those are the hotel's fault, it was just unfortunate that the noise could be heard through the doors like that when we were trying to sleep.

I would absolutely recommend this place to others, as well as go again myself. I came across it online and all of the pictures matched how it looked for real. I didn't want to leave after the weekend!

• Stayed June 2014
Weeki Wachee, Florida
Reviewed 15 June 2014

My husband and I just returned from a week at St. Pete Beach along with our 17 year old granddaughter. We usually stay in Clearwater but decided to try a different beach this time and glad we did. We really enjoyed the selection of different restaurants and bars along the beach road. Our accommodations were very good and we had a beautiful view of the beach. Not much drawer space to put your clothes was probably my only complaint. The employees are extremely friendly and made our stay very enjoyable. Take advantage of the adult pool as the kid pool is very busy... Some of the reviews warn you of the music at the Toasted Monkey but we on the other hand really enjoyed the music.. DoubleMband was playing the night we were there and they were great! Also take advantage of the amenities at Tradewinds and check out salt water tank at the restaurant at Guy Harveys.

Room Tip: We were on the fifth floor and away from any noise.
1 Thank lovetotravel0075
St. Petersburg, Florida
Reviewed 15 June 2014

my first time here; sat at the bar with a friend; had a few key lime martini's for the first time in my life; excellently made by Pat the bartender. Lively crowd watching the World Cup. Fun place; great staff. Highly recommend anyone to try their key lime martini; tastes just like key lime pie!

Room Tip: I didn't stay there.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends