“Guy Harvey Outpost Review”

Guy Harvey Outpost, a TradeWinds Beach Resort
Ranked #9 of 32 Hotels in St. Pete Beach
Peoria, Illinois
“Guy Harvey Outpost Review”
Reviewed 15 July 2014

We stayed 2 nights at the Guy Harvey Outpost, July 13-15.
Pros - We got a beautiful suite with a partial view of the beach. Although the sleeping area was small, the extra room and balcony gave us plenty of room to rest and get out of the sun for a while. The beach is beautiful and relaxing. The kid's pool was very clean. The adult pool looked great, but I couldn't go there since I had my son with me. The blow-up surfing activity was fun for my 5-year-old sun. The girl working at the activities office made up a scavenger hunt for my son which he enjoyed very much. She even gave him a snow cone when he was finished. We appreciated the service and food at the Guy's Gulfside Grill. I wish we had gone there the first day because they had information and tips to share about the resort. We LOVED Guy Harvey RumFish Grill. The food was spectacular, the view was amazing, and the staff was very friendly. There were several families with children and we fit right in. We went back the second afternoon just for dessert and they seated us right in front of the giant fish tank.
Cons - No one from the hotel staff talked to us while we were there. Even when we checked in, they told us nothing. I did ask a few questions, and the lady checking us in handed us a brochure. I read it from cover to cover, but we still had no idea what we were doing. A staff person was having a great time chatting with the guests out by the kid's pool, but he ignored me every time I tried to get his attention. I finally asked another guest where we could get some pool towels. We took the hotel transportation from the airport and they forgot to bring the car seat for my 5-year-old. They never showed up for our return trip to the airport, so we had to call a last minute taxi. Although I do appreciate that the lady at the activities hut made up a scavenger hunt for my son, I thought they had activities that other kids would participate in. This was an activity that was listed in their brochure for a certain time, very strange. The website says they have beach toys, and they don't, so bring your own. My husband waited in line at the sandbar for 20 minutes to get a drink and finally just gave up. It was a long walk to the other hotel for the large slide, but it probably wouldn't seem so long if you stay in the water to get there or when the weather is a little cooler. They need to take the arcade off their website. What they have is something very sad and broken, and even if it weren't, it would not be worth putting on the website.
Conclusion - The trip was fantastic despite the service at the hotel.

3 Thank Jessica_Michal
JustLetGo8, Guest Relations Manager at Guy Harvey Outpost, a TradeWinds Beach Resort, responded to this review, 20 July 2014
As the Director of Guest Satisfaction please accept my apologies for the lapse in service that you received. We are extremely concerned about overall service and monitor all guest comments so as to make the necessary correction to improve our customer service. Thank you for the positive comments regarding the activity's staff and our new RumFish Grill. I hope that we can count on seeing you again at the Guy Harvey OutPost and if I could be of any further assistance please don't hesitate to contact me directly. Thank you. drogers@twresort.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (704)
Reviewed 15 July 2014

The hotel is very nice. We had an ocean front room that had its own private patio. This was a wonderful location for the kids and easy access to the pool and beach. My only complaint. . BLACK SNAKES! They came right across our patio not once but twice. Fair warning to keep your sliding doors closed :)

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank babydar11
Brunswick, Georgia
Reviewed 14 July 2014

We stayed at the Guy Harvey Outpost July 10-13, 2014. It was part of the Tradewinds Hotel; which is where all of the amenities that we enjoyed were located. It was not a long walk to the hotel, but it felt like we walked the beach an awful lot in 2 days! We brought out dog for the Sit, Stay and Play package; when we checked in the Concierge had no knowledge of the existence of this package. We had to go online to show this person that this package did exist. Once she spoke with, I guess, several people in the office (in the closed office behind her) and had another staff member talk with us about the package (this person also seemed to be unaware of the package) and then, finally, another person who actually knew the package (we thought we were going a little crazy at this point) gave us the information we were looking for (the "free" room service four our doggie and a "free" breakfast in bed for 2 for one morning plus a few other amenities that were advertised in the package). Most of the staff were a little short and rude when answering questions - I realize that they answer the same 5 questions every day - but as a guest, I am not asking a question that I already know the answer to! The housekeeping staff was extremely friendly and accommodating! Since we had our dog with us, we did not want them in our room (she is a sweet dog, but we didn't know what she would do if a strange person walked into our room - since she was also in a strange place!) They were always willing to give us what ever we needed (extra towels, etc.). The Rumfish Restaurant is definitely a tourist restaurant - the food is mediocre and the atmosphere is a little snooty - considering this is Guy Harvey - you would think it would be a little more laid back and fun. The fish tanks were unbelievable and beautiful! You can see the tanks without having to eat at the restaurant. We did love the adult pool, music, beach access, cabana, and the fact that the Outpost seemed much less crowded with people than the Tradewinds. If you stay, the rooms are nice and clean - but a bottle neck is created with the bathroom and kitchenette in the same area.

Room Tip: If you have a room that is located by the adult pool, you may also be located by the Toasted Monkey...
Saint Augustine Beach, Florida
Reviewed 13 July 2014

I recently returned from a week trip to guy Harvey. Hotel was average. I try to workout daily. The gym was a joke. Two treadmills one sit down bike and two ellipticals. Ave temp in gym was 83. Terrible situation. Other huge complaint was parking. They overbook. When you return from dinner at outside resturant there is nowhere to park. Staff less than accomodating. Told me to go park at tradewinds down the street. I've been to tradewinds on many trips. When I booked this trip agent convinced me to try guy Harvey. Never again. Small pools. Average room. Definitely not worth the $$$. Pool was closed as much as it was open due to thunder within 15 miles. In July always have thunder in July. Whole situation was tiring and frustrating. Take your cash an go elsewhere.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank George B
JustLetGo8, Guest Relations Manager at Guy Harvey Outpost, a TradeWinds Beach Resort, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
As the Director of Guest Satisfaction please accept my apology for failing to meet your expectations. I have forwarded this to the appropriate managers for review of the a/c situation in the gym and the less than adequate statement from our staff regarding parking. With the opening of our new restaurant the RumFish Grill, we are doing a larger than expected amount of business which impacts available parking. However, there are long term plans to provide additional parking spaces at The Guy Harvey OutPost. Regarding the closure of the pool, the safety of our guest takes top priority and it is our policy that any lightning strikes within 15 miles will result in closure of the pool. Then there must be a 30 minute period of no strikes with 15 miles before the pool can be opened. The typical Florida weather may include pop up storms in mid-afternoon which may put a damper on things, but this is obviously beyond our control. If I could be of any further assistance, please don't hesitate to contact me directly. Thank you. drogers@twresort.com
Greenville IL
Reviewed 11 July 2014

This is a very good place to stay on St. Pete's Beach. Every hotel has a few issues but we found the staff most accommodating. The adult only pool was great (we did not have our kids with us so we were a bit biased). If I had children with me, I would probably stay at the Tradewind's sister hotel. While we were here, I considered the area's alternatives and I am glad I picked the Guy Harvey Outpost. We spent a day up at Clearwater Beach and Aquarium (25 minutes), and spent part of a day down at Ford Desoto park watching Dolphins at the fishing pier. This location gives easy access to Hwy 275 as we went back to Tampa (25 minutes) for Shopping etc....We will stay here again when we are in the area.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
TradeWinds-Leni, Manager at Guy Harvey Outpost, a TradeWinds Beach Resort, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Hello LeeS503,
We're so glad you enjoyed our location and accommodations at Guy Harvey Outpost on St. Pete Beach. It's great to hear you found peace and relaxation at the adult-only pool and that you'd plan to stay with us again the next time you're in the area. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience!
St. Petersburg, Florida
Reviewed 9 July 2014

We had the best experience eating lunch at the Rumfish Grill. The food is always great, but the service before had some glitches. But WOW what a dynamite server in Melissa Carr! Melissa made recommendations and was very attentive to our every need. Melissa should get a raise! She had a suggestion to have honey served with the sweet potato fries. That should be on your menu as standard protocol. Melissa made our lunch spectacular and she has made your restaurant a lot of money from the people I have sent to enjoy the same experience with her.
She should train all of your servers on how to "WOW" the customers. Michael G.

Room Tip: Ask for close to beach
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Hello mgrant50,
We are thrilled that Melissa made your experience at RumFish Grill an outstanding one by exceeding your expectations! She certainly is an impressive individual and we will be sure to pass along your very kind words to her management team. Thank you for dining with us and hope to see you again soon!
Lake Zurich, Illinois
Reviewed 8 July 2014

We have been coming to the Tradewinds Resorts for 14 years. The main reason started going so often was because our kids were small (1 and 3 at the time) and the 1-bedroom suites allowed us to take care of little kids while not feeling trapped in a hotel room. Further, the kids club activities gave us time alone while the kids played, raced hermit crabs, painted starfish, went on scavenger hunts, etc. During this last trip we brought our (now) teenage kids and their friends to the resort...and they had a great time hanging out on the beach, renting paddle boards, riding the slides (a few times) and meeting-up with other teens. No trip is perfect - the food at Guy's Gulfside Grill is hit or miss, and the elevators were on again, off again, and the chain saws of the tree trimmers were a little inconvenient (why during the July 4 holiday??) - but staffers like Deanna at the front desk and Basilio at the Grill made up for it. Very thankful for their friendly assistance in overcoming all obstacles! Also - we set up a charter fishing trip with Captain Tim and it was fantastic! We fished with Capt. Brent (Summer Vacation Charters) and caught Red Snapper which we had cooked and served at the RumFish Grill. Fantastic experience! Overall the kids had a great time and we look forward to visiting again.

Room Tip: Small kids? Stay at the Island Grand - closer to kids pools & activities Restaurants? - The Fl...
Hello Mgavran2014,
First of all, thank you very much for your loyalty to TradeWinds Island Resorts. We truly appreciate the opportunity to be a part of your family's special memories over the years. It's great to know that your family finds all of our amenities to be extremely entertaining and that there's something for everyone. Love hearing that our chefs at RumFish Grill cooked your fresh catch for your dinner! Also, thank you for your feedback. We can't wait to see you again for year #15.