“Amazing Dining Experience”

Ranked #9 of 32 Hotels in St. Pete Beach
St. Petersburg, Florida
“Amazing Dining Experience”
Reviewed 17 July 2014

We dine out quite often...when new restaurants open, we love to check them out.....since our first visit, we have returned weekly to try something new on the menu...from their apps to entrees....there has not been one time that we have been disappointed....the menu selection has a great variety for all different tastes and the presentation is excellent....the atmosphere and staff make you feel so comfortable and welcomed from the dining area to the bar....and just love the music!!!...Just so much fun to get a group together after a day of work or at the beach!

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
TradeWinds-Leni, Manager at Guy Harvey Outpost, a TradeWinds Beach Resort, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Hello liz m,
Thank you for being part of our amazing local RumFish Grill fan club! We truly appreciate that you took the time to share your praise and recommendations for our new destination restaurant and bar. We love hearing that you enjoy our live music and various areas for dining throughout the restaurant. Cheers to you! We can't wait to see you guys again very soon.
Kind Regards,
Leni

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (717)
Florida
Reviewed 16 July 2014

PROS: First and foremost Kudos to Miss Charlene on the 6th floor who kept our room clean and orderly and to the entire hardworking GH housekeeping staff for keeping this resort as clean and attractive as we found it each day of our stay in spite of resort being filled to capacity. Chose this resort based on reviews and because everything else was booked for the days I needed. Stayed for three nights with hubby and three boys (8,13, and 15) and while it was cramped for all of us we found the ocean front 1 bedroom suite to be very clean, well stocked, with 2 comfy beds and best of all an efficient and fairly quiet a/c system. Ocean front location is awesomely beautiful. Kudos to Poolside Bartender Victor who was super friendly, efficient and who made the best mixed drinks!! The “adult only” swimming pool was a welcome refuge. We liked that the resort fee covered the cost of the 2 person Shade Cabana each day BUT you need to reserve them online the day before or run the good chance there won’t be any available if you don’t. Liked the outdoor lounges, hammock, cornhole game and firepits.
Cons: The additional daily $35 resort fee -allows you to use the facilities at the Island Grand Tradewinds hotel, but with blaring sun and 90+ temps, we found the ¼ mile walk to get there too hot and uncomfortable to just wait on long lines to get a 30 sec slide ride.
Children’s pool very small and crowded for the amount of kids wanting to use it.
All food on property fairly decent but very overpriced and slow service.
Timeshare hawkers who will approach you from check in to check out. As mentioned in other reviews :No balcony in the ocean front suites in spite of their description insinuating that there are.

Overall we enjoyed our time at GH but having stayed at other hotels and resorts on this very stretch of beach, there are a lot of better priced options. Would surely return as a couple without kids , off season or when rates are not at peak.

1 Thank snowbirdy
Reviewed 16 July 2014

Very Good

1.I love the outdoors and fishing so I personally loved the design and decorations of the hotel. A definite nice touch that gives the hotel a different look and feel.

2. Great location on the beach, close walk. Covered chairs are excellent, reserving a spot is easy (after 2pm everyday) and love that a placard is attached. On weekends or holidays this is suggested. No added cost unless you want the front row ($15)

3. Staff were friendly. Reception and check in were quick and efficient.

4. Fish tank at the grill was something great to see. Several of us did the swim in the tank. We got a small tour before hand to see the set up, and how it all runs and then were able to snorkel in the tank for 10 minutes. Well worth the $25, fun and some education mixed in.

5. Clean - the staff were constantly cleaning the common areas throughout the day.

6. Fire pit, lounge area, and hammocks are a great addition and a nice place to relax in the evening.

7. Rooms while a bit on the small side (not a huge deal since I'm there to be outside) had coffee machine, decent size fridge, and microwave). Liked the decorations and warm colors.

8. The surfboard machine, the large water slide (at the tradewinds) and the smores are all a nice bonus and provided laughs and photos for our group.

Room for Improvement

1. Rooms a bit tight on storage space for clothes and the mirror doors for the closet were constantly coming of the track when you opened them

2. The room we had was all the way at the end of the hall and was by itself (2823 I believe). It is right next to 2 public bathrooms and some kind of meeting room. very odd place for a room so you constantly have people outside waiting to use the bathroom or the cleaning staff right outside at 7am cleaning it up. Tough place for a room.

3. Wait time for food was quite long. Not sure if they don't have enough staff working in the kitchen but wait time was exceptionally long. We arrived on a thursday afternoon and sat around the pool and ordered a few orders of wings and some flat bread. 50 minutes later it finally arrived. had to send the flat bread back because it was not cooked long enough. For a weekday with small crowd the wait for the price was not worth it.

4. Not enough staff. At times it felt like the staff was undermanned (servers, bartenders) and struggled to keep up with orders regardless of the time or day.

5. Balcony- We were on the second floor and had a very narrow balcony but most rooms did not, just a bar across.

6. Food quality varied from pretty good on some occasions to not good at all through out our stay. Definitely could use some quality control in the kitchen.

Overall a pretty nice place to stay and a great location. Hopefully some TLC in the kitchen and enough staff working will make it even better.

1 Thank Hutty69
Hello Hutty69,
Thank you very much for bringing the family to Guy Harvey Outpost on St. Pete Beach for a fun beach getaway! We're so glad you guys had a blast in our brand new SandBox lounge area and got some great laughs from surfing the Triple WipeOut simulator, making s'mores by the fire pit and taking the plunge down the High Tide Waterslide. We appreciate your feedback and will take it into consideration for future improvements. We hope you'll come back to see us again!
Kind Regards,
Leni
Peoria, Illinois
Reviewed 15 July 2014

We stayed 2 nights at the Guy Harvey Outpost, July 13-15.
Pros - We got a beautiful suite with a partial view of the beach. Although the sleeping area was small, the extra room and balcony gave us plenty of room to rest and get out of the sun for a while. The beach is beautiful and relaxing. The kid's pool was very clean. The adult pool looked great, but I couldn't go there since I had my son with me. The blow-up surfing activity was fun for my 5-year-old sun. The girl working at the activities office made up a scavenger hunt for my son which he enjoyed very much. She even gave him a snow cone when he was finished. We appreciated the service and food at the Guy's Gulfside Grill. I wish we had gone there the first day because they had information and tips to share about the resort. We LOVED Guy Harvey RumFish Grill. The food was spectacular, the view was amazing, and the staff was very friendly. There were several families with children and we fit right in. We went back the second afternoon just for dessert and they seated us right in front of the giant fish tank.
Cons - No one from the hotel staff talked to us while we were there. Even when we checked in, they told us nothing. I did ask a few questions, and the lady checking us in handed us a brochure. I read it from cover to cover, but we still had no idea what we were doing. A staff person was having a great time chatting with the guests out by the kid's pool, but he ignored me every time I tried to get his attention. I finally asked another guest where we could get some pool towels. We took the hotel transportation from the airport and they forgot to bring the car seat for my 5-year-old. They never showed up for our return trip to the airport, so we had to call a last minute taxi. Although I do appreciate that the lady at the activities hut made up a scavenger hunt for my son, I thought they had activities that other kids would participate in. This was an activity that was listed in their brochure for a certain time, very strange. The website says they have beach toys, and they don't, so bring your own. My husband waited in line at the sandbar for 20 minutes to get a drink and finally just gave up. It was a long walk to the other hotel for the large slide, but it probably wouldn't seem so long if you stay in the water to get there or when the weather is a little cooler. They need to take the arcade off their website. What they have is something very sad and broken, and even if it weren't, it would not be worth putting on the website.
Conclusion - The trip was fantastic despite the service at the hotel.

3 Thank Jessica_Michal
JustLetGo8, Guest Relations Manager at Guy Harvey Outpost, a TradeWinds Beach Resort, responded to this review, 20 July 2014
As the Director of Guest Satisfaction please accept my apologies for the lapse in service that you received. We are extremely concerned about overall service and monitor all guest comments so as to make the necessary correction to improve our customer service. Thank you for the positive comments regarding the activity's staff and our new RumFish Grill. I hope that we can count on seeing you again at the Guy Harvey OutPost and if I could be of any further assistance please don't hesitate to contact me directly. Thank you. drogers@twresort.com
Reviewed 15 July 2014

The hotel is very nice. We had an ocean front room that had its own private patio. This was a wonderful location for the kids and easy access to the pool and beach. My only complaint. . BLACK SNAKES! They came right across our patio not once but twice. Fair warning to keep your sliding doors closed :)

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank babydar11
Brunswick, Georgia
Reviewed 14 July 2014

We stayed at the Guy Harvey Outpost July 10-13, 2014. It was part of the Tradewinds Hotel; which is where all of the amenities that we enjoyed were located. It was not a long walk to the hotel, but it felt like we walked the beach an awful lot in 2 days! We brought out dog for the Sit, Stay and Play package; when we checked in the Concierge had no knowledge of the existence of this package. We had to go online to show this person that this package did exist. Once she spoke with, I guess, several people in the office (in the closed office behind her) and had another staff member talk with us about the package (this person also seemed to be unaware of the package) and then, finally, another person who actually knew the package (we thought we were going a little crazy at this point) gave us the information we were looking for (the "free" room service four our doggie and a "free" breakfast in bed for 2 for one morning plus a few other amenities that were advertised in the package). Most of the staff were a little short and rude when answering questions - I realize that they answer the same 5 questions every day - but as a guest, I am not asking a question that I already know the answer to! The housekeeping staff was extremely friendly and accommodating! Since we had our dog with us, we did not want them in our room (she is a sweet dog, but we didn't know what she would do if a strange person walked into our room - since she was also in a strange place!) They were always willing to give us what ever we needed (extra towels, etc.). The Rumfish Restaurant is definitely a tourist restaurant - the food is mediocre and the atmosphere is a little snooty - considering this is Guy Harvey - you would think it would be a little more laid back and fun. The fish tanks were unbelievable and beautiful! You can see the tanks without having to eat at the restaurant. We did love the adult pool, music, beach access, cabana, and the fact that the Outpost seemed much less crowded with people than the Tradewinds. If you stay, the rooms are nice and clean - but a bottle neck is created with the bathroom and kitchenette in the same area.

Room Tip: If you have a room that is located by the adult pool, you may also be located by the Toasted Monkey...
Saint Augustine Beach, Florida
Reviewed 13 July 2014

I recently returned from a week trip to guy Harvey. Hotel was average. I try to workout daily. The gym was a joke. Two treadmills one sit down bike and two ellipticals. Ave temp in gym was 83. Terrible situation. Other huge complaint was parking. They overbook. When you return from dinner at outside resturant there is nowhere to park. Staff less than accomodating. Told me to go park at tradewinds down the street. I've been to tradewinds on many trips. When I booked this trip agent convinced me to try guy Harvey. Never again. Small pools. Average room. Definitely not worth the $$$. Pool was closed as much as it was open due to thunder within 15 miles. In July always have thunder in July. Whole situation was tiring and frustrating. Take your cash an go elsewhere.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank George B
JustLetGo8, Guest Relations Manager at Guy Harvey Outpost, a TradeWinds Beach Resort, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
As the Director of Guest Satisfaction please accept my apology for failing to meet your expectations. I have forwarded this to the appropriate managers for review of the a/c situation in the gym and the less than adequate statement from our staff regarding parking. With the opening of our new restaurant the RumFish Grill, we are doing a larger than expected amount of business which impacts available parking. However, there are long term plans to provide additional parking spaces at The Guy Harvey OutPost. Regarding the closure of the pool, the safety of our guest takes top priority and it is our policy that any lightning strikes within 15 miles will result in closure of the pool. Then there must be a 30 minute period of no strikes with 15 miles before the pool can be opened. The typical Florida weather may include pop up storms in mid-afternoon which may put a damper on things, but this is obviously beyond our control. If I could be of any further assistance, please don't hesitate to contact me directly. Thank you. drogers@twresort.com