“Great place, employees and atmosphere!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Guy Harvey Outpost, a TradeWinds Beach Resort

Guy Harvey Outpost, a TradeWinds Beach Resort
Ranked #12 of 32 Hotels in St. Pete Beach
Charlotte, nc
“Great place, employees and atmosphere!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2014

We arrived on a busy check-in/check-out day, so it was hectic, there was no parking available, but security made us a spot. The 2 queen bed suite was great, equipped with a small kitchenette to help. The room was clean upon arrival and they did a great job keeping it clean, however, the AC unit made a very faint noise and the toilet made flushing sounds, but the problem was addressed. The employees are a big key in making your experience here the best it can be. Jared the bartender at RumFish was upfront and honest about everything, he helped to guide us in the right direction after listening to a few concerns. He also notified me of some perks and amenities that guests are given...reservations and the front desk did not tell me! Joann, the manager, was appreciative of the feedback and concerns I had with the room, she cared enough to listen and she took care of me in a professional manner. I will stay here again and I would recommend it to others.

• Stayed July 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
TradeWinds-Leni, Manager at Guy Harvey Outpost, a TradeWinds Beach Resort, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Hello Dustin_W704,
Although we are sorry to hear that there were a few issues throughout your stay, it makes us very happy to hear that our staff took the time to address your concerns and make things right. Thank you for sharing your experience. We appreciate your recommendation and we really do hope that you will come back to stay with us again soon.
Leni

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (669)
Lakeland, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2014

We just returned from a 3 day trip. From the get go it was a bad experience. Upon arrival we were told the room we booked was too small for us (2 adults and 1 child) so they were upgrading us to a suite at no extra charge. (Great!!!) However the room was filthy. To start there was chewed gum on the couch handle and it only got worse from there. There were dried feces all down the front of the toilet and also along the back of the toilet. There were stains on the pillowcase (which looked like dry blood). Housekeeping was called and the manager came within 10 minutes. His response to the bathroom was "oh god, I'm sorry I will get some bleach". He took care of it and also replaced the pillowcases and then offered us a free drink coupon or free ice cream for our son. (No thank you!!). The next morning when we woke up there was a roach on the floor. Housekeeping never came the first day to service our room. The pool is very small and the parking is terrible. For the price of the room, the cleanliness, service, and the whole experience was terrible. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone nor would I ever return.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Allison H
JustLetGo8, Guest Relations Manager at Guy Harvey Outpost, a TradeWinds Beach Resort, responded to this review, 20 July 2014
As the Director of Guest Satisfaction please accept my apologies for the condition in which you found your room upon arrival. I also want to thank you for replying to my message requesting additional information. I immediately forwarded this to our housekeeping managers for further review with the staff and training. I will be contacting you to make sure that we have resolved this to your satisfaction thereby ensuring we can count on you in the future. Thank you. drogers@twresort.com
St. Petersburg, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2014

We dine out quite often...when new restaurants open, we love to check them out.....since our first visit, we have returned weekly to try something new on the menu...from their apps to entrees....there has not been one time that we have been disappointed....the menu selection has a great variety for all different tastes and the presentation is excellent....the atmosphere and staff make you feel so comfortable and welcomed from the dining area to the bar....and just love the music!!!...Just so much fun to get a group together after a day of work or at the beach!

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Hello liz m,
Thank you for being part of our amazing local RumFish Grill fan club! We truly appreciate that you took the time to share your praise and recommendations for our new destination restaurant and bar. We love hearing that you enjoy our live music and various areas for dining throughout the restaurant. Cheers to you! We can't wait to see you guys again very soon.
Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2014

PROS: First and foremost Kudos to Miss Charlene on the 6th floor who kept our room clean and orderly and to the entire hardworking GH housekeeping staff for keeping this resort as clean and attractive as we found it each day of our stay in spite of resort being filled to capacity. Chose this resort based on reviews and because everything else was booked for the days I needed. Stayed for three nights with hubby and three boys (8,13, and 15) and while it was cramped for all of us we found the ocean front 1 bedroom suite to be very clean, well stocked, with 2 comfy beds and best of all an efficient and fairly quiet a/c system. Ocean front location is awesomely beautiful. Kudos to Poolside Bartender Victor who was super friendly, efficient and who made the best mixed drinks!! The “adult only” swimming pool was a welcome refuge. We liked that the resort fee covered the cost of the 2 person Shade Cabana each day BUT you need to reserve them online the day before or run the good chance there won’t be any available if you don’t. Liked the outdoor lounges, hammock, cornhole game and firepits.
Cons: The additional daily $35 resort fee -allows you to use the facilities at the Island Grand Tradewinds hotel, but with blaring sun and 90+ temps, we found the ¼ mile walk to get there too hot and uncomfortable to just wait on long lines to get a 30 sec slide ride.
Children’s pool very small and crowded for the amount of kids wanting to use it.
All food on property fairly decent but very overpriced and slow service.
Timeshare hawkers who will approach you from check in to check out. As mentioned in other reviews :No balcony in the ocean front suites in spite of their description insinuating that there are.

Overall we enjoyed our time at GH but having stayed at other hotels and resorts on this very stretch of beach, there are a lot of better priced options. Would surely return as a couple without kids , off season or when rates are not at peak.

1 Thank snowbirdy
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2014

Very Good

1.I love the outdoors and fishing so I personally loved the design and decorations of the hotel. A definite nice touch that gives the hotel a different look and feel.

2. Great location on the beach, close walk. Covered chairs are excellent, reserving a spot is easy (after 2pm everyday) and love that a placard is attached. On weekends or holidays this is suggested. No added cost unless you want the front row ($15)

3. Staff were friendly. Reception and check in were quick and efficient.

4. Fish tank at the grill was something great to see. Several of us did the swim in the tank. We got a small tour before hand to see the set up, and how it all runs and then were able to snorkel in the tank for 10 minutes. Well worth the $25, fun and some education mixed in.

5. Clean - the staff were constantly cleaning the common areas throughout the day.

6. Fire pit, lounge area, and hammocks are a great addition and a nice place to relax in the evening.

7. Rooms while a bit on the small side (not a huge deal since I'm there to be outside) had coffee machine, decent size fridge, and microwave). Liked the decorations and warm colors.

8. The surfboard machine, the large water slide (at the tradewinds) and the smores are all a nice bonus and provided laughs and photos for our group.

Room for Improvement

1. Rooms a bit tight on storage space for clothes and the mirror doors for the closet were constantly coming of the track when you opened them

2. The room we had was all the way at the end of the hall and was by itself (2823 I believe). It is right next to 2 public bathrooms and some kind of meeting room. very odd place for a room so you constantly have people outside waiting to use the bathroom or the cleaning staff right outside at 7am cleaning it up. Tough place for a room.

3. Wait time for food was quite long. Not sure if they don't have enough staff working in the kitchen but wait time was exceptionally long. We arrived on a thursday afternoon and sat around the pool and ordered a few orders of wings and some flat bread. 50 minutes later it finally arrived. had to send the flat bread back because it was not cooked long enough. For a weekday with small crowd the wait for the price was not worth it.

4. Not enough staff. At times it felt like the staff was undermanned (servers, bartenders) and struggled to keep up with orders regardless of the time or day.

5. Balcony- We were on the second floor and had a very narrow balcony but most rooms did not, just a bar across.

6. Food quality varied from pretty good on some occasions to not good at all through out our stay. Definitely could use some quality control in the kitchen.

Overall a pretty nice place to stay and a great location. Hopefully some TLC in the kitchen and enough staff working will make it even better.

Sleep Quality
1 Thank Hutty69
Hello Hutty69,
Thank you very much for bringing the family to Guy Harvey Outpost on St. Pete Beach for a fun beach getaway! We're so glad you guys had a blast in our brand new SandBox lounge area and got some great laughs from surfing the Triple WipeOut simulator, making s'mores by the fire pit and taking the plunge down the High Tide Waterslide. We appreciate your feedback and will take it into consideration for future improvements. We hope you'll come back to see us again!
Peoria, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014

We stayed 2 nights at the Guy Harvey Outpost, July 13-15.
Pros - We got a beautiful suite with a partial view of the beach. Although the sleeping area was small, the extra room and balcony gave us plenty of room to rest and get out of the sun for a while. The beach is beautiful and relaxing. The kid's pool was very clean. The adult pool looked great, but I couldn't go there since I had my son with me. The blow-up surfing activity was fun for my 5-year-old sun. The girl working at the activities office made up a scavenger hunt for my son which he enjoyed very much. She even gave him a snow cone when he was finished. We appreciated the service and food at the Guy's Gulfside Grill. I wish we had gone there the first day because they had information and tips to share about the resort. We LOVED Guy Harvey RumFish Grill. The food was spectacular, the view was amazing, and the staff was very friendly. There were several families with children and we fit right in. We went back the second afternoon just for dessert and they seated us right in front of the giant fish tank.
Cons - No one from the hotel staff talked to us while we were there. Even when we checked in, they told us nothing. I did ask a few questions, and the lady checking us in handed us a brochure. I read it from cover to cover, but we still had no idea what we were doing. A staff person was having a great time chatting with the guests out by the kid's pool, but he ignored me every time I tried to get his attention. I finally asked another guest where we could get some pool towels. We took the hotel transportation from the airport and they forgot to bring the car seat for my 5-year-old. They never showed up for our return trip to the airport, so we had to call a last minute taxi. Although I do appreciate that the lady at the activities hut made up a scavenger hunt for my son, I thought they had activities that other kids would participate in. This was an activity that was listed in their brochure for a certain time, very strange. The website says they have beach toys, and they don't, so bring your own. My husband waited in line at the sandbar for 20 minutes to get a drink and finally just gave up. It was a long walk to the other hotel for the large slide, but it probably wouldn't seem so long if you stay in the water to get there or when the weather is a little cooler. They need to take the arcade off their website. What they have is something very sad and broken, and even if it weren't, it would not be worth putting on the website.
Conclusion - The trip was fantastic despite the service at the hotel.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Jessica_Michal
As the Director of Guest Satisfaction please accept my apologies for the lapse in service that you received. We are extremely concerned about overall service and monitor all guest comments so as to make the necessary correction to improve our customer service. Thank you for the positive comments regarding the activity's staff and our new RumFish Grill. I hope that we can count on seeing you again at the Guy Harvey OutPost and if I could be of any further assistance please don't hesitate to contact me directly. Thank you. drogers@twresort.com
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014

The hotel is very nice. We had an ocean front room that had its own private patio. This was a wonderful location for the kids and easy access to the pool and beach. My only complaint. . BLACK SNAKES! They came right across our patio not once but twice. Fair warning to keep your sliding doors closed :)

• Stayed June 2014