“FUNtastic resort!!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Guy Harvey Outpost, a TradeWinds Beach Resort
Ranked #12 of 32 Hotels in St. Pete Beach
“FUNtastic resort!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2014

This was a fantastic stay with tons of fun for the whole family!! Delicious dining options, yummy coffee bar, stunning sunsets and beautiful aquariums. The staff was exceptional and always serving with a smile. We highly recommend this clean and fun resort!

• Stayed September 2014
4 Thank Terriehuertas
TradeWinds-Leni, Manager at Guy Harvey Outpost, a TradeWinds Beach Resort, responded to this review, 18 September 2014
Hello Terriehuertas!
We love that you think we are "FUNtastic!" It's great to hear that your family had such a blast exploring our resort, indulging in our delicious restaurants and discovering new fish in our tanks at RumFish Grill. Thank you for the recommendation!
Kind Regards,
Leni

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (667)
Orlando, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2014 via mobile

My sister and I, along with our four children, ages 4-14, arrived on Saturday and checked out on Labor Day. Our bell man was wonderful, truly gracious and appreciative of his tip, saw to our luggage and was very nice and helpful (we believe in tipping well for good service). That is where good service ended. We arrived to our room to find the stove top broken and were unable to cook (a major plus to vacationing with kids). We went with it, deciding order out that nice. Staying at the Guy Harvey side, we called to order from the Grille but couldn't reach a waiter, only VM so sister decided to walk down and place order. WOW! Placed an Oder, here again tipping well ($24 on a $96 bill) only to be told by THE SAME WAITER you can't wait here (sister plus older children were enjoying the aquarium only days before a hotel rep called to remind her to check out!!). Suffice to say, after speaking to literally several managers both at the resort and grille, as well as regional and corporate level reps the following days, ALL that was received was corporate general apology. As central floridans, we will not be wasting our money at this resort again and will advise any and all we know the same.

• Stayed August 2014
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank southernbee7377
JustLetGo8, Guest Relations Manager at Guy Harvey Outpost, a TradeWinds Beach Resort, responded to this review, 15 September 2014
Southernbee. Please accept my apology for the stove top not working upon arrival. This should have been a very easy quick repair simply to make sure the heating element was correctly plugged into proper position. Knowing that you have already spoken with other managers, I would just like to clarify that the seating area your were in while waiting had been temporarily closed due to a water leak from the severe weather. Minor amounts of water were on the floor and a couple of the adjacent seats. We were in the process of correcting this situation when you entered. I'm truly sorry that you feel as if you will not be retuning to us at The Guy Harvey OutPost, and if I could be of any further assistance, please let me know.
Thank you.
Doug Rogers
Director of Guest Satisfaction
drogers@twresort.com
San Diego, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2014

Long ago I was in the resort industry and so I try and keep an objective view when I visit resorts. This one is fairly new and it's clear that they converted another property that was past it's prime. Simply, they did a fantastic job. The grounds are colorful, well maintained and engaging. This resort has everything that you need at any point. Additionally, the food at the restaurant was fantastic. However, what I found to be the best point of this spot is THE PEOPLE. From the moment I arrived - which was late in the evening - I found the staff to be exactly the type of people that you would want working at your own resort. Happy, friendly, engaging and willing to go above and beyond as if it was second nature. Special shoutout to a few staff members that particularly stood out: Pat, Brittany and Keith (at the main restaurant/bar), Janet (front desk) and Victor (beach bar). These folks and several others really made the place stand out. Particularly when you consider that I stayed there at the end of the busy season and could easily understand if they were a little burned out. But they showed no signs of fatigue.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Bspracklen
Hubbardston, Massachusetts, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2014

I travel a great deal for work and would rate this a 2.5 Star at best. The service was excellent and the location on the beach was wonderful. However, our room showed fatigue from use and age and unfortunately, there is a bar beside the hotel that was 'very' loud that wasn't obliged by ordinances to stop until 11pm. This then led to screaming drunks leaving the place afterwards. The last issue was the WiFi was pretty poor and we were obliged to use the Lobby despite calling tech support. All I would say is set your expectations and ask a lot of questions.

Room Tip: Ask about the bar next door. Get as far from it as possible.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Kevin, please accept my apologies for failing to meet your expectations. For those concerns within our control such as the WiFi, I will research the work order ticket in attempt to determine why none of our IT staff didn't respond. Regarding the noise from the bar next door, we are working very closely with the local owners and authorities to ensure they are operating within the county ordinances. I hope that you will not let this prevent you from staying with us again, and if I could be of any assistance making a reservation for the opposite side of property away from the bar, please let me know.
Thank you.
Doug Rogers
Director of Guest Satisfaction
drogers@twresort.com
Jacksonville, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2014

Our room was a small at this normal looking hotel room, though I thought it was a nicer hotel. No big deal though, it's not like it was a bad room, just smaller than expected. AC worked great. Hotel is on an island that requires a toll on the quickest way back to Tampa which you pay in and out. Great location on the beach. Pretty sweet that you can take advantage of the Tradewinds Island Grand stuff just down the beach. Lots of water activites around there. Very busy on labor day weekend. Thin walls, cross your fingers that you don't get a crying kid at 5am every morning like we did. Kind and very helpful staff.

• Stayed September 2014, travelled with friends
Orlando, FL
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2014

Since my stove top not working in my $342 a night suite number 5827 and at the mercy of 4 kids I had to order out food from Rumgrill. First time I guessed I misdialed, the second time was hung up on and third time sent to voicemail... to order food to go mind you. So with two kids in tow ages 12 and 13 walked down to restaurant in torrential downpour, hostess was happy to take my to go order so I gave her $120 on $96 bill ( over 25% tip), so while waiting for food went to bar and got a beer and soda and again I tipped $7, walked over to see side of aquarium and it was cordoned off due to wet floor I assume from rain. As we waited for our food I asked same hostess staff if we could walk thru to see fish tank/aquarium and was told we could. We saw a small bench without any tables in front of it in dining area so we sat down and there about 5-10 minute when was told we could not sit there as it was for dine in customers only. Mind you the two tables abutting it had people there already mid meal and we not bothering anyone nor could anyone eat where we were sitting anyway as there was no table. They really should put a table there to avoid this miscommunication/poor customer service in the future and they could make money turning it over and over anyway. I was compensated a $8 crab cake that I would have paid for and feel I did in all the tips fees etc. I guess the people who work there expect big tips from hostess to bell hop etc and not expect to treat people/customer the way they should be treated. Beware the bellhop, i was going to tip $10 and when I pulled out $20 bill and asked for change he was already thanking me for a $20 tip so I let him have the whole $20 since it made him so happy. Little did I know what I was in for at Rumgrill. Of course same bell hop guy not there on check out day so did it myself so as not to get worked over again. Rumgrill asst? Manager John tried to help by explain their "policy", guest service guy Richard was busy reading his paper and sent me to check in desk guy Derrick who compensated me one day of resort fees which total about what I spent in tips anyway.Nice birthday trip, folks. Beside slide line too long/slow and kids didnt even use until last day. I have traveled a bit despite working full time and three kids but this is only second time I have complained on trip advisor. I don't think I was unreasonable. I may check out DonCesar next time down the street.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2014

We decided at the last minute to stay on St. Pete Beach over Labor Day. We drove to St. Pete Beach and visited several properties before we decided to stay at the Outpost. It was an excellent choice. The staff was friendly and accommodating. We found the entire facility to be clean and well kept. We had friends that joined and us and stayed there from our recommendation. It was a great time! I would recommend this property to anyone looking for a great stay at the Beach. They have plenty of activities for adults and children. We will be returning very soon.

Room Tip: They allow you to check in early and stay on the Beach until your room is ready.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Hello Beth H,
We're so happy you decided to stay with us over the holiday weekend! Thank you very much for recommending our resort to your friends and to everyone on TripAdvisor. We truly pride ourselves on providing something for everyone - even the smallest of beach-goers. We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Kind Regards,