“beautiful place, nice staff”

Guy Harvey Outpost, a TradeWinds Beach Resort
Ranked #8 of 32 Hotels in St. Pete Beach
Reviewed 23 February 2009

Very nice place, quiet and clean and the beach was beautiful

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,822)

Reviewed 12 February 2009

The hotel staff were nice.
Room was clean, bit small but there was everything in it, kitchenette, two beds, big closet.
Hotel is just steps away from the beach, and from the sixth floor the views were nice.

Only thing that is missing is complimentary breakfast.

There is a resort fee.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank yomanda
Reviewed 30 January 2009

At the end of the last year, I decided to take a couple days to relax in the Florida sun. Not having been to Florida before, I went onto the Expedia website and just shopped around. I ended up at the Tradewinds Sandpiper Hotel in St. Pete Beach, Florida, just southwest of Tampa. I am so glad that I did. The hotel itself was superb. It was right on the beach, toward the north end of St. Pete Beach. With five miles of white sand beach right outside the door, it had perfect access to sun and fun. The beach was spectacular. The sun setting into the Gulf of Mexico each night was worth the whole trip. Of the multiple hotel options that string down along the St. Pete Beachfront, I thought that the Sandpiper's hotel landscaping and surrounding plants and trees were the most inviting on the beach. Very pretty. Very relaxing. The hotel was clean and the staff was very helpful to all my questions and needs. The two hotel pools were clean and inviting, surrounded by palm trees. The hot tub was excellent as well. One pool was designated for adults only, which was nice. Hammocks to relax in the sun were located out back. The hotel has a "green program" that lets you alert the staff if you find it unnecessary to have them launder all of your bedding and towels each day, saving local water treatment resources. The location along Gulf Boulevard was perfect for exploring some of the local area shopping, downtown St. Pete Beach, and local restaurant alternatives. There is a grocery store not far away, and a convenience store right across the street, so you can stock up on a couple groceries and save some eating-out money during your trip. The rooms have a small fridge, microwave, and toaster, along with some table service and glasses for eating in the room. The showers were great. Newspapers delivered each day at your door. If you are interested in visiting St. Pete Beach, I would highly recommend the Tradewinds Sandpiper as a convenient, comfortable place to spend your stay. I found I had everything I needed within walking distance of the hotel. I had a great, relaxing couple of days on a beautiful beach. I really enjoyed the whole experience, and would love to return there again someday.

Joel Van Hal
Pella, Iowa

• Stayed: December 2008
2  Thank vanhalboy
Reviewed 26 January 2009

This was our family's 8th visit ti the St. Pete area, all stays have been at the Sandpiper or the Island Grand. We are in love with the hospitable employees at the Sandpiper and have recommended this resort to many friends and family members. We are of course major Iowas Hawkeye fans and love it when their bowl trips include a visit to the Raymond James Stadium. We have also travelled as far as Orlando and Miami to watch the Hawks but always choose our location for lodging in St. Pete. Typically we travel to the area over the CHristmas holiday and usually for 11-14 days. We adore the calmness of the area, the fun shopping, great dining, both at the hotels and the locations within walking distance. We use the hotel accomodations for car rentals and the STudio Transportation taking us to and from the airport. We cannot say enough good things about the Sandpiper. Casual, yet very, very nice. Love the gulf front suites, adore the return guest rates and rarely is there an employee that we do not enjoy!! We have a mentally disabled son who is always with us and the staff is obviously pleased enough with their jobs that they have staying power - what a treat for us to see the same employees each time we arrive and for them to know us by name and MOSTLY, to have our son teated with such kindness. Why would we want to go anywhere else?? Who knows, maybe when we retire we will ask for applications!!!! :) Happy with our stay. Sincerely, Marshalltown, Iowa

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank cabanathree
Reviewed 19 January 2009

I have been staying at the Sandpiper Tradewinds resort for 10 years! I usually visit every May. But this year once was not enough. I returned in December and had the opportunity to enjoy a different season. Everytime I return I feel like I am going home to visit friends. The staff is extremely friendly and always available to make your stay more enjoyable. I love the out door cafe where you can have breakfast and enjoy the ocean breeze.
The rooms have been remodeled and the beds are very comfy. In the 10 years I have been there I have never had a complaint about the clealiness of my room. (That is important to me and my friends) They have an adult pool and a whirlpool to relax in at the end of the day. If you visit be sure to say hi to Carmen at the front desk she is a perfect example of "Customer Service". The cabana employees outside are also awesome! They make your day in the sun fun and enjoyable! Already scheduled my airfare for my return trip in May!
Great place to stay!!!!!!!
Jo Sanders
Ofallon MO

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 January 2009

My wife, 2 children and I stayed at this hotel this past week while on vacation. There's plenty to like about this hotel. We certainly appreciated that there was an "adult" pool and a "kids'" pool. Both were heated which was welcome in unseasonably cool temperatures. I thought that the hotel was generally very clean and the staff was very friendly.

The weather really did not cooperate with our trip but we did have one glitch during our stay which bothered us greatly. We came back to our room on the second day to find that the housekeepers who were on our floor when we left had not cleaned our room. We called to the front desk and they assured us that someone would be up within the hour. We left for an evening activity and returned five hours later to find that the room was as we'd left it.

To be fair, we did not call back down. We did not feel that we should have to. At this point, we were too tired and went straight to sleep. Our room was made up the next day. I ordinarily would just chalk it up to an oversight but we DID bring it to the staff's attention and we were told it would be dealt with. That's the real thing that I'll remember from an otherwise good experience.

We also did happen to find food in the refrigerator when we arrived. This was a bit annoying. Our room was a bit cramped as two double beds took up so much space that you could not fit between either bed and the adjacent wall.

I would give the staff an "A" for friendliness but fail them on execution. The beach is lovely and the hotel is generally quiet. The rooms are nicely decorated but cramped as mentioned above.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank damous
Reviewed 17 January 2009

Stayed there for one week in December 2008. Booked a standard room through our local travel agency, but it was very small and dark. Got an upgrade to a suite for 10 $ a day - a good deal. The hotel is nice and clean, the pools are beautiful. The room was well furnished, the suite spacious. The staff was friendly, but we had one big problem: my mobile phone "disappeared" from our room. Nobody from the security staff seems to be interested. They said they would take care about it, but nothing happened. It took 3 days until we had the chance to talk to the general manager. Now the investigation should start - too late for us, because we left next morning! Disappointing and not professional!! If you stay there, make sure to keep all your valuables in the safe.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple