Guy Harvey Outpost, a TradeWinds Beach Resort
Ranked #9 of 32 Hotels in St. Pete Beach
Taylorville, IL
“Great Stay”
Reviewed 31 July 2010

Tradwinds is a great place to stay. All of the staff are wonderful. We arrived very late one night or early the next morning and check was a breeze. Anytime we asked for towels we received them almost immediately. The front desk staff are top notch. They were always ready to give us directions or tell us great places to go. The bartenders at the Sand Bar are great too. We always had a good time sitting there for drinks. I would definately stay here again. We went down the Island Grand a few times. While they definately have more to offer there are alot more people too. Also, check out Jimmy B's, they have live music and its a great little place on the bar.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (698)
Panama City, Florida
Reviewed 30 July 2010

I am so sorry to be typing this but don't want others to have to go through what I did! And several other business partners as well! I had to go to three different rooms until I found one without a live roach in it. Others that traveled with me found a dead roach at the end of their bed and another found an inch worm in her sheets once she pulled them back!
I can't stress enough how ill I felt paying $100 plus a night and the cleaning consisted of trash emptying and barely making the bed, awful does not cover it! would NEVER go back! if I had a vehicle would have stayed in it!!!!!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
4 Thank pcaqua
Phila Area
Reviewed 28 July 2010

St. Pete Beach is a wonderful area. The Beach is just awesome. I was looking for a hotel on the beach for my vacation with the kids. I had seen the Tradewinds other property on my prior visit to the area and it looked like a really fun place. As I searched other choices, I kept coming back to the Tradewinds for the value. I was then at a tossup as to which property. I choose the Sandpiper over the Island Grand, primarily due to cost savings. The Island Grand has many more amenities (more pools, restraunts, etc. as it is a larger property, but you have full privledges at the both and they are only a short walk apart).
The things I liked about the Sandpiper:
- The rooms were nicely decorated. (bright colors, festive) I upgraded from a Std. Suite to a Balcony Suite for $10 (a bargain) and I was given one facing the gulf. Beautiful views of the gulf and the courtyard.
- The grounds and common areas are meticulously maintained. Very clean (staff stays on top of it!)
- The Beach - It's just great - huge, not crowded, free 2 person cabana included in resort fee(that I did not have to pay by booking via expedia).
- They provided as many towels as you wanted for the pool or beach.
- Pool side bar was nice! They always had free pitchers of water out if you were thirsty.
- The fitness center was awesome - usually they don't have much at these places but this had all modern equipment, very nice treadmills, elipticals, free weights - TV, towels, fully equipped - really nice!
- The store and the restraunt, etc. were all reasonably priced (you expect to pay a premium in the hotel but prices were basically on par with other local establishements.)
- The service was great - I had a slow drain in the shower upon arrival and it was fixed immediatly after I called.

The only thing that I can see for improvement:
- The room (I had a suite facing the gulf) didn't have a full dresser in the bedroom. It had an armoire with a TV and drawers. This is minor, but I found myself looking for flat surfaces to put stuff down on that weren't there. The night stand was available but a tight squeeze for 3 people to unload watches, hair bands, and all that stuff.
- The hotel store closed at 6, but there is a 7-11 almost across the street. I made frequent trips there for snacks, etc.
- There is a bar at a property down the beach that has live bands every evening. You can hear it from the side of the hotel that I was on, but they shut down every night around 11 or 11:30. I didn't bother me at all, but some people who are light sleepers who go to bed early may want a room facing the other side.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
Kernersville, NC
Reviewed 27 July 2010

We have always loved the Sandpiper. We took extended family this year, they fell in love with Sandpiper too!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
sterling heights
Reviewed 27 July 2010

we were there at 2007 and that was vacation to remember that was all about going back to this place again.My children are 5,12 and18 years old and for each one it was place to enjoy very nice family resort and we will be back again soon

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
Slate River Ontario
Reviewed 27 July 2010

Whenever we go to St. Pete we always stay at the Island Grand Hotel. When we booked our april vacation the Island Grand had no vacancy and the front desk personel asked us if we had ever stayed at their sister hotel, Sandpiper. We never had so we thought we would give it a try. Well, we thought the Island Grand was a great palce to beach bum but we found that the Sandpiper had even more to offer. Being a smaller property we found it to be a little more private but with the same great customer service and amenities as its big sister the Island Grand. We could still enjoy the services of the Island Grand and then escape to the serenity of our little jewel, The Sandpiper. What a great place for a spring getaway.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
Trenton, Ohio
Reviewed 27 July 2010

My daughter and I took a week's vacation at the Sandpiper and was very happy with just about everything. The concierge was very friendly and helpful when we arrived. She reduced our daily amenity charge since we did not have a car and upgraded our room to a 6th floor suite overlooking the pool and ocean for a minimal charge. The beach is beautiful, the adult pool was quiet and relaxing, and everyone was very friendly. The room was small but just perfect for two people. For the most part it was quiet at night and houskeeping kept things clean. We did not rent a car but instead used the FreeBeachRide Service and it was so convenient. The drivers were very friendly and gave us tips on where to go and what to see. They would always pick us up within 15 minutes...usually sooner and it would only cost a couple dollars for a tip. We did rent a car one day to see some sights that were further away but that ended up being the only rainy day so things did not go as planned. Other than one rainy day the weather was perfect...hot but who cares when you are at the beach. The best place we ate was SeaHags. The food was yummy, huge portions and $4 cosmos!!! They also had a great country music band that night. We also ate at Sloppy Pelicans which was really good. The Wharf was a neat setting but the food was not that great. Skidders across the street was OK....the food downstairs at Piper's Patio was actually very good. All in all, we had a great time and would definitely go back!!!

• Stayed July 2010