“Charming and Spotless Room in Pass-a-Grille”
Review of Sabal Palms Inn

Sabal Palms Inn
Ranked #4 of 32 Hotels in St. Pete Beach
Tampa, Florida
“Charming and Spotless Room in Pass-a-Grille”
Reviewed 25 November 2012

This is my second year in a row staying on St. Pete Beach. All the action is at the southern tip; Pass-a-Grille, so this year I decided to stay there.

The Sabal Palms is a small Inn--a converted house on a peaceful corner one block from the restaurants and directly across the street from the lovely beach. I stayed in Unit #8--upstairs with a small balcony overlooking the backyard and "pool." (It is actually a rather large hot tub/spa, but let's not split hairs.)

My room was immaculate. Not a speck of dirt to be found. The bed was very comfortable; the pillows and quilt very homey. The bathroom with shower was as clean as I could wish. The hot water and water pressure were fine. The room had both air conditioning (not needed in November when I visited), and windows that actually open, making possible a nice cool breeze for the room. There was also a fully equipped kitchenette, for those energetic and frugal souls who actually cook while on vacation (not me!) The manager, Eddie, was accessible and very kind and helpful.

My ONLY complaint (which prevented my rating from being the full 5 stars) was that Sabal Palms advertises the use of free bikes. There were plenty of bikes: tough old warhorse "cruisers" with one speed, pedal brakes, and wide tires--but every last one of them had either flat tires or tires that would not hold air more than an hour or so. All the chains and gears were rusty. This fleet of bikes is badly in need of some basic tune-up TLC! If you are a bicyclist, bring your tools and a can of lube with you and then all will be well! Seriously, the establishment needs to keep these bikes at least in basic good condition if they are going to advertise the use of them.

Look at that: I have spent one long paragraph on these bikes! It's only because it is SO PLEASANT to pedal around the southern tip of Pass-a-Grille: around the corner to the Tampa Bay side to the marina to watch the pelican population--much better than TV! And then over to the many restaurants and pubs. Guess what? You do not need to lock your bike in Pass-a-Grille. Nobody bothers your bike. I was told this by Eddie, and I tested it out over 3 days, using the only bike that did hold air in its tires--and he was correct. I thought I was dreaming, which is how you are SUPPOSED to feel on vacation!

Pass-a-Grille is the most mellow, lovely, affordable oasis of peace. I highly recommend it, and regardless of the bike situation, I will definitely stay at the Sabal Palms again. (I will need a 3-oz can of lube; wonder if bike tools will make it through Security in the airport?)

Room Tip: #8 has a nice little upstairs deck.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank joanne s

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
Marion, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed 15 November 2012

My husband and I had such a lovely time here. The staff is friendly and helpful. The rooms are very clean. It is only steps to the gulf. Perfect location. Close to restaurants and shopping. Guests can use chairs, bikes, floats. The kitchen is small but suitable. Bathroom clean and efficient.

Room Tip: We stayed gulf-front in unit 2. Nice porch.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 November 2012

When we reached the Sabal Palms were we instantly greeted by the manager Eddie who was very friendly and didn't hesitate let us know that if there's anything we needed him along with his staff would be accommodating. My husband and i stayed on the lower floor, It was very personal and very comfortable. It was newly renovated, clean and equipped with all that we needed. A great location in a residential area. Making you feel home away from home! Also the beach was a hop skip and a jump away.. Beautiful and serene, Definitely needed the peace and relaxation that the Sabal Palms had to offer. No complaints at all. A great quaint place to stay with an awesome staff. Both My husband and I are looking forward to returning for a longer stay.

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank Daisy357
Reviewed 10 November 2012 via mobile

We stayed for 2 nights at the start of November 2012, the room was spacious and very clean with all the necessary amenities, free WiFi, heated pool and a great view. We were very well looked after by Judy & Eddie. There is a K Mart just down the road and a choice of restaurants within 5 mins walk. The beach is 30 seconds across the road.

• Stayed November 2012
Mass
Reviewed 9 November 2012

I stayed here because of the good reviews and I guess you always have to beware or maybe I just expect the best when I am staying somewhere. We were brought into our room and it was below ground..I told Judith I had to move because I felt I was I in a dungeon. the room was very small..had a full kitchen that was very poorly stocked. coffee pot but no measuring spoons or measuring cups. there were mouth marks all over the glasses so we washed everything we used beforehand. the next day we were moved upstairs...extremely tiny kitchen area, once again no measuring spoon or cup for coffee. we went to make eggs and the skillet was dirty, rusted and peeling...the only pan there. we made eggs in a saucepan and there was no spatula to turn it. when they leave they left all the auto lights on the balcony and our room was lit up like a Christmas tree all night. I left a note inside the pan when we left to let them know how bad it was and someone called me when I got home and said they wanted to make it up to us by a free night. I told them I would not go back but would take a credit on my account...he said that he would tell the manager and get back to me...never heard from them again...what a surprise. want to stay in a beautiful place and area...Lido Key. the Lido Dorset is very nice...and Siesta Key...Beach Club at Siesta, Tropical Resort or Tropical Sun...won't be sorry at any of these places! I found nothing special about St Pete's at all!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank carolyn56
SabalPalmsInn, Owner at Sabal Palms Inn, responded to this review, 17 November 2012
Our staff made every attempt to make your stay as comfortable as possible however we would not comp your stay even after you threatened to post a negative review on TripAdvisor. It seems you were not even happy with the area Pass-a-Grille which is commonly referred to as paradise, utopia, heaven on earth, God's gift to man, the most relaxing place I've ever been etc etc. . This should be an indication of the inability to please everyone all the time and all we can do is give it our very best effort. It works for most of our guests.
Moorefield, West Virginia
Reviewed 2 November 2012

Our first of what we hope will be many more stays at the Sabal Palms Inn down in historic Pass-A-Grille district on St. Pete Beach. The staff made us feel at home and part of their family as soon as we arrived. Eddy, Judy, Anna were all gracious and so helpful. What a restful and peaceful location - very low-key, property incredibly well maintained. Thankfully this is NOT your typical chain hotel!!! Located in a very beautiful, convenient and quiet location - safe for walking and biking - sunrises and especially sunsets are incredible! We stayed at the Sabal Palms Inn but also visited over at the sister Coconut Inn and loved both properties. Thanks especially to Eddy for working so hard and making us feel at home.

Room Tip: After having the opportunity to see different rooms at the Sabal Palms Inn and the Coconut Inn, no t...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Schwyz, Switzerland
Reviewed 31 October 2012

We stayed at Fort de Soto Condo, which belongs to Sabal Palms in October 2012. The condo is perfect for a couple. It is conveniently located in a safe and clean neighbourhood. It has one bedroom, a nice kitchen, spacious bathroom (lots of towels provided) and a large living room area. You can use the pool at the property which has a decent size and there is a washer and dryier centrally located. The owner was really nice as we could stay later in the afternoon on our last day and then catch our late flight.
We will be back!