“Head Chef in Need of Anger Management - STAT”

Seared 1200 Chophouse
Price range: US$9 - US$29
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed 3 July 2014

Good: The truffle fries were great as were the rolls, the butter and salad. However, if you are going to a steakhouse and the rolls, butter and salad are the best things on the menu, you know you are in trouble.

Bad: Ordered the twin filet oscars medium and one came medium, the other on the well side of medium well.

Ugly: The food simply wasn't good aside from the things mentioned above. I ordered the Butter Lobster Risotto. You'd think it would contain butter, lobster and risotto, each ingredient being able to shine. Nope, it was chock full of red pepper sauce, which ruined it completely. I picked out the lobster and left all the rest. Total waste of money. It should have simply contained butter, lobster and risotto or been renamed.

However, I have a more pressing matter to call out. The Head Chef needs an etiquette lesson, some anger management classes and to learn some stress management techniques STAT. It happened not once, not twice, but three times and bears documentation here. We sat at the bar and Hannah, the bartender, waited on us. She was in mid-sentence three different times when the Head Chef presented food to the line and yelled, "HANNAH!" I could feel her cringe each time it happened. She left us and other patrons, mid-sentence, and went to pick up the food to either deliver to us or other diners. One of the three times, she didn't immediately turn upon command, so he yelled, "HANNAH! HANNAH! HANNAH!" three times in a row until she turned around.

I get it. People want their food hot. You know what other people want? To be respected. She was waiting on customers, i.e. her job, and literally found herself being at the chef's beckoned call to deliver food either to the customers she was speaking with or another customer entirely. He yelled to the male waiters, but only called their names once and didn't continue calling their names until they arrived in front of him. I will never visit this restaurant again. When the Head Chef took off for the night, the whole vibe of the place changed. All the staff were no longer on pins and needles, they smiled and joked with one another. It was a way more comfortable place to dine.

4  Thank Vagabond_Yogini

Reviewed 2 July 2014

We went here based on a review from Trip Adviser indicating that the owner wanted a steak restaurant that wasn't overly-expensive but also wasn't a Texas Roadhouse or Longhorn Steakhouse. This restaurant was owned by the same person who owns the Madfish (reviewed in an earlier post) and Snapper's (which we did not get to).

We both had steak, and both were prepared perfectly. My wife had filet mignon, and I had a Chef's Special - Kobe Beef in a mushroom sauce. We started with the Shrimp LeJon (shrimp stuffed with horseradish and wrapped in bacon), but it was over-cooked and dry and had little flavor - especially the bacon. The salad was crisp and loaded with a variety of ingredients, including "craisins," which added great flavor to the salad. I had never had Kobe Beef before, and it didn't seem to be any different the U.S. Prime beef. The dish, however had two very large portions of the beef with large slices of portobello mushrooms and an excellent sauce as well as a price that way way below what I expected ($32) for the size and preparation. I also got the risotto, but it was full of peas, which I have disliked my whole life. The restaurant lived up to it's review. It had A Ruth's Chris/Morton's type feel with excellent steaks and a much lower price tag.

The restaurant is small and you need to go either early or late - you'll wait during regular dinner hours, and I don't think they take reservations. There is also a deck and outdoor bar. Be careful walking up the ramp to the deck - the ramp does not go completely to the ground - it ends about 2" to 3" above the surface (and only has a light under it to let you know it doesn't go clear to the ground. Unfortunately, I was looking up at the deck rather than down, and my foot got caught underneath, and I took a hard fall which only resulted in a scraped knee, initially, and about 5 days of rib pain. If I had not known how to fall, and had I not tucked my chin, my head would have taken a hit on the side rail. The outside bartender came over immediately and brought ice cubes in a towel to our table for my knee. When she told the manager, I could see that he was unconcerned and didn't seem to want her to bring over the ice, but she did, anyway.

I'm sure people have pulled ploys to get free dinners, but this wasn't one of them which was likely the manager's thought. My intent in relating this is so the same thing does't happen to anyone else since it didn't ruin our dinner (mainly because the ice helped keep that from happening). Hopefully, the manager or owner will correct the ramp problem (two regular customers on the deck who helped me up indicated that they had seen this happen several times before) because in today's litigious society, they are a lawsuit waiting to happen. Since I only had a scraped knee and some rib pain (and a very helpful bartender), there was no need to take it further (and for the record, it wasn't intoxication since my last drink was in 2001).

Regardless of the fall, this restaurant was well worth going to, and it shouldn't be missed if you want excellent steak.

Reviewed 1 July 2014

We ate here on our first night in St Pete Beach after my partner read all the positive reviews on Trip Adviser. We sat down and he knew immediately what he wanted. Tomahawk. That photo has earned more likes on Facebook than any other photo we posted, and it tasted great too. Apart from the monster steak the rest of the food was also pretty impressive, delicious bacon wrapped scallops, melt in the mouth seabass and the IPA beer was delicious. The waiter was super friendly and offered lots of good advice about the menu. The only downer was that the AC was broken, and with the temperature and humidity through the roof it made for a sticky evening. Worth it though.

Reviewed 1 July 2014

A small restaurant but big on service and food. Great wine list and the steaks were just amazing. Don't order a starter if you want to enjoy your main. It's probably the best steakhouse we've ever dined in. Cooked to perfection came with a side salad bread etc. a must visit !!!

Reviewed 1 July 2014

We dined at the sister restaurant Snappers two nights early and it was brilliant so we thought we would give this ago - we weren't disappointed!

Best steak house I have ever eat in!

I had the tomahawk steak which was perfect ( I struggle to finish it ) do not eat for at least two days before going to this place!

The atmosphere, the surrounding and the staff were all brilliant and looked after us very well!

We will be back!