“VERY SATISFIED!”

Bay Palms Waterfront Resort - Hotel and Marina
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 17 January 2014

Well this stay worked very good for us! We booked out stay through another online site, $58 great deal (Didn't know what to expect....but we were only there for 3 days) Wasn't expecting the Taj Mahal I mean for the price :) We were there to spend out time with friends from St Pete and Seminole, enjoy the beach, sunshine and FL. So when we arrived it was going to be LATE so when I called they were great let me know they have an outside box that would have our key in there. We could check in, in the morning. Well we arrived just before they closed so we go to check in with their friendly staff. Yes it was different having to drive down the street to go to there satellite office...but hey again $58! Needless to say when we arrived they did upgrade us to a suite with the Kitchen, very clean, updated and welcoming. We were so happy and willing to return. Even if when returning we pay more it's all what you make it. Standing on they balcony you over look the Blvd to all the activity of the night life! I give this place credit for the constant work they are obviously doing. There is no way possible for this company to not disturb someone! They had a nice deck out looking the canal and a pool. We were not able to use, not enough time. Beach access right across the street and so much to do.
Every where we go we can find bad but people should look at their glass half full and the bonus we have, (were on VACATION). If you want the Taj Mahal then up your price to stay at a 5star (that cost $250++). I would return again and our friends that live there will be recommending it for guest that come to see them!

Reviewed 15 January 2014

First of all, it's always interesting when I'm searching for a hotel and see a vast majority of positive reviews and then a few outliers that say how not so great the place is. I then look to see how many reviews each person has written to make sure it's not just a friend helping out or a competitor trolling around. I've learned to pay attention to those individuals who have more reviews. So trust me on this one, I travel constantly. I don't write reviews for every property due to time constraints, but this a very honest non-biased review. I hope it helps you and more importantly, that it helps the Bay Palms management address multiple issues.

First and foremost, there really need to be government regulations on hotels using the name "Resort" in their name. How this place can call itself a resort with a straight face is beyond me. It's a little building with about a 9 foot setback from a very busy boulevard, a tiny pool squished in, a fitness room that is, and I'm not exaggerating, 8 feet by 8 feet, views of concrete walls from most rooms, and not a soul who works there ever actually on the actual property, I mean except to bang on your door that has the "Do Not Disturb" sign hanging every morning. How exactly does this qualify as a "resort"??

A person's first impression of a hotel, that moment when you first arrive, is the one that matters most. That's the one that sets you up for your entire stay. So when a traveler arrives, usually tired from a long day of flying and then shuttling to a car rental place, and then driving to the hotel, they want to feel welcomed, they want to just park and get to their room as quickly as possible. If this is the way you feel, think twice about staying at the Bay Palms. Upon arriving, not at midnight, not at 4AM or even 10PM, but at THREE IN THE AFTERNOON, not a soul was stirring at our hotel. Nothing. No sign of life whatsoever. The outside of the hotel seriously looks like a trailer park. It's not attractive at all. I was worried. After spying all over looking for some indication that I was indeed at the right place, I saw a little sign telling me to go down the road to a hotel across this busy boulevard to check in. During my stay, a gentleman who had obviously just arrived, came up to me and asked if I knew where the office was, I told him he had to go down the road. He said, "Are you being serious?" Yes. Unfortunately. Once at the satellite office, the staff was very nice, the check-in process was quick and easy, but it does involve driving to another location to actually find a human being. Now onto the room. Upon opening the door you nearly walk right onto your bed. It's literally 24" inches from the front door! (see photo). OK, I know I didn't pay $100/night for this place, so that's fine. I'm here for the beach and the sunshine, as long as there's wifi and everything works and the bed is comfy, no problem. Sadly, the beach was the only thing that worked well. The entire reason I booked this particular hotel was because it offered a kitchenette, so on the way from the airport to the hotel we stopped and purchased groceries, including things that need to be baked in the oven. Too bad this unit does not have an oven, or any sharp knives, or a blender (c'mon people, this is Florida...margaritas? Hello?!), or paper towels, or a sponge. No biggie. We made do. So then we try and sit down and relax in the "living room" and turn on the TV. Oops, sorry, that remote doesn't work. I swap out the batteries, just the first of my maintenance chores that I was apparently expected to perform. It wasn't the batteries. Again, not a big deal, but the "not-a-big-deals" were starting to add up. So I picked up the phone and dialed "zero" to speak with the office, you know, like one does in a normal hotel. Oops, sorry, ZERO doesn't connect you to the office, because there's nobody IN the office, they're all across the busy boulevard and down the road at their other hotel. So I found that phone number and tried to make a call from the room. Nope, sorry, that feature doesn't work. Called on my cellphone. Oops, sorry, that doesn't work either. I have been to every corner of the U.S., my Verizon Iphone 5s gets service in 99% of everywhere I've been. Unfortunately it doesn't work in the Bay Palms. So I walked out to the mini pool to call and ask for a new remote and a bread knife. Well, at least they brought a new remote...the next day.

Ah, but getting to the next day was quite a challenge. The bed. Oh the bed. The sheets were old and tired, rough and scratchy. No big deal, as long as the mattress is comfy. Oops, sorry--a dreadfully uncomfortable mattress--both parties waking up with back aches after a night of tossing and turning. Should we have called to change rooms? Yeah, probably, but after loading a bunch of groceries into the "kitchen", and settling in with our belongings, it would be a royal pain, so we opted to hope the mattress felt better the next night. It did not, it was worse. Now my biggest pet peeve at hotels, by FAR is when the staff does not pay attention to the "Do Not Disturb" sign a guest leaves on their door. 10AM "WHAM! BAM! WHACK! Maintenance!" Keep in mind how close the bed is to the ultra thin door that is being pummeled by the maintenance man. We were startled out of our sleep (yes, at 10AM we were still trying to make up for the tossing and turning of the night before). The man at the door said they just figured we were at the beach. What?! He said they needed to replace the toilet, would that be OK? Uh, no, that would not be OK. How in the world can a hotel think that's OK to do while a guest is in a room?! Unbelievable. The hotel is a ghost town. There are plenty of empty rooms to do their toilet upgrades while leaving us alone. I walked to the mini pool and called the front desk, oops, I mean the front desk of the hotel down the road and across the boulevard, and asked why my Do Not Disturb sign was being ignored. Again, "we just figured you were at the beach because it was 10AM". I see.
I mentioned the dreadful sleep due to the bed (and the loud maintenance people yelling beginning early in the morning), and they offered to either bring a foam mattress topper or to move us to an upgraded room--well at least they're trying. I will say that during our stay, the staff was very polite and attentive, but even the niceness of a hotel's staff cannot fix the inherent problems. Friendliness is nice, but frankly I'd rather have a grumpy staff with a room that's functional and can actually provide a nice sleep where the Do not Disturb sign is respected, as is your quiet space, things work, and there's someone on the property who can actually answer the phone. You feel a bit abandoned staying here. You're on your own. Well, at least you have the company of the morning maintenance men!

So we moved to the upgraded room. It was bigger with a separate bedroom. Definitely an upgrade. Room 109. Bigger bed, seemed to be softer, and boy was it softer. It was really just an old mattress way beyond it's years that they had plopped down one of their foam mattress toppers on, hoping that would save them from investing in a new mattress. Tossing and turning and waking up several times was not a good sign. But sleep finally came until WHAM BAM WHACK! at 7:55AM. Maintenance had returned to replace the toilet in room 216, directly above 109! The loud talking and moving of furniture and banging had begun. Maybe they just assumed we were at the beach again? I dialed Zero to ask that they please postpone their maintenance until we are gone, or at least until 10 or 11. Oops, forgot. Zero won't get you anywhere. So I called the number of the hotel across and down the road. Oops, forgot. No cell service. So I walked outside by the smoky pool to call. I was told there was no manager on duty, but she will let him know when he gets in. I asked if perhaps she could walky talky them to stop working. I even walked up there in my PJs to beg them to stop. But here I am writing this at 9:05AM and the loud noises are still going on.

Finally, it's 2014, is it really so much to ask for wifi that can work throughout a very small hotel? I suppose it is. Not only is the signal weak in most areas, but it will annoyingly make you re-sign in every time you close your laptop, or after 30 minutes or so. Oh, and if you happen to be one of the millions of people who own a Mac? Well, then you will be provided with an 800 # to call and spend 30 minutes to have them configure the wifi for your one device. Yes, that happened. I'm surprised they didn't ask me to help with installing the toilets.

I was torn between giving the Bay Palms 2 or 3 stars, the staff was nice and seemingly attentive, but as a frequent traveler who treats Tripadvisor as my bible, I knew I owed it to my fellow travelers to give an honest take on the property and its many shortcomings. It's just so-so. It's noisy and has uncomfortable beds, and an unfortunate placement of the beds in some of the rooms. Oh, forgot one more gem--tried to lay out by the mini-pool, but had to soon leave as this is apparently where all the smokers go to do their thing. I should've known by all the ashtrays strewn around. The final straw that took this from 3 stars to 2 was when the manager came to my door this morning and knocked loudly to tell me that they would be jackhammering upstairs (I kid you not). It was checkout time anyway, so this didn't matter, but what he said really spoke volumes. After I ran down the list of issues, he said "Well 99% of our guests love it here, so I guess we can't please everyone". No, I guess you can't.

Fellow Tripadvisor travelers, read all the positive reviews you want, but I have never steered you wrong. You have been warned.

Room Tip: If you want to be able to walk into your room without tripping on your bed, you might want to ask fo...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank UpgradeMeNow
Plaza-Resorts_Owner, General Manager at Bay Palms Waterfront Resort - Hotel and Marina, responded to this reviewResponded 16 January 2014

Mr. UpgradeMeNow,

Thank you for your lengthy e-mail it was very entertaining. I do apologize that your stay was not perfect, we do strive to makes everyone's stay enjoyable and relaxing.

In the hotel business, there are some guest that you will never satisfy no matter how hard you try and what you do. This is a classic example of one, the entire staff bent over backward to help, I appreciate you mentioning that the staff was nice and seemingly attentive. We are and we tried our best. We even gave you a free upgrade to another room, however, we will never satisfy certain guest. I believe the user name UpgradeMeNow, says it all.

On your next visit to our St Pete Beach, I would kindly request, that you do not stay at one of our resorts.

To the TripAdvisor community, please read all our other reviews and seek the truth.

Plaza Beach Resorts - St Pete Beach

Reviewed 9 January 2014

Room was clean and all the modern conveniences. Location was perfect. My small dog got to share the room with us. There's alot to do there. You can go fishing off the pier and walk on the beach or walk to a local restaurants. We will definitely will stay there again. It was also our honeymoon. Combined with visiting relatives. We loved it.

• Stayed: January 2014
Reviewed 8 January 2014

We recently stayed at the Bay Palms waterfront resort and loved it and can't wait to return
We have stayed many times at at st petes but first time here
The room was spacious and exceptionally clean. The Beach was a 2 minute walk over the road The sister hotel was just up the road and had a social hour every day with free beer and wine ! A great informal way to meet other people on vacation. The staff at front desk were very friendly and helpful. Will definitely be back in the summer

• Stayed: December 2013
Plaza-Resorts_Owner, General Manager at Bay Palms Waterfront Resort - Hotel and Marina, responded to this reviewResponded 9 January 2014

Thanks for a wonderful Five Star review of the Bay Palms Waterfront Resort – Hotel and Marina. I’m glad you enjoyed the large suites and cleanliness we offer. So many guests really enjoy the social hour to exchange stories and ideas on things to do in the area. I look forward to seeing you this summer.

Plaza Beach Resorts
“Traditions Start Here”

Reviewed 7 January 2014

This is the second time we stayed at Bay Palms. We had a recently renovated ground floor one bedroom unit. Rooms were very clean, well equipped with two large flat panel TVs. Resort was very quiet and centrally located, across the street from the beach. You can use the sister facilities at Plaza Beach which is right on the waterfront and included a 'free beer' happy hour. This was an exceptionally nice hotel for the price.

Reviewed 21 December 2013

Newly remodeled rooms,very nice and friendly people. All though the bed was a little noisy.I would stay here again...................................................................................................

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Plaza-Resorts_Owner, General Manager at Bay Palms Waterfront Resort - Hotel and Marina, responded to this reviewResponded 2 January 2014

Don,

Thank you for a FIVE Star review of your stay at the Bay Palms Waterfront Resort – Hotel and Marina. I’m happy you enjoyed our upgraded rooms and friendly staff. Our beds are being replaced within just a few weeks, so your next stay will be even better! See you soon!

Plaza Beach Resorts

Reviewed 21 December 2013

This was comfortable and nice hotel, the room was quite big sharing a bedroom and a living room. The staff was helpful and the beach nearby was awesome with white sand. This is a good place to stay overnight on roadtrip like we were. No breakfast included.