“Great Value and Location”

Bay Palms Waterfront Resort - Hotel and Marina
GreenLeadersGold level
Florida
“Great Value and Location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

I just got back from spending a couple of days at the Bay Palms in St. Pete Beach, and I was very happy with the service, the room, and the location. I had gotten a very good price compared to other hotels and resorts in the area and was not disappointed at all.

Please be aware that depending on your arrival time, you may need to check in across the street at another of this company's properties, the Plaza Beach Hotel. You also have access to that resort and it's amenities, such as the free cocktail hour with wine and beer, coffee in the morning, beach cabanas, ocean side pool, life-size chess board, etc. If you make your reservation directly with the Bay Palms, I would ask when making the reservation where you should check in. If it's through a third party like Orbitz, etc., call ahead to check.

I was by myself on this trip and felt perfectly safe on the grounds and in the area. There are many restaurants, stores, and other resorts within easy walking distance. The beautiful white sand beach is right across the street, but the Bay Palms has a lovely dock on a canal with a small pool. I was upgraded to a one bedroom suite with a very comfortable bed and kitchen with dishes/silverware, a microwave, and small full size refrigerator. The room and the whole property was very clean and attractive.

I almost gave this review a "very good" instead of "excellent" because it is not directly on the beach, but then I knew that when I booked it, so I think it's an excellent value for the money!

Room Tip: If you like a really quiet room, you might ask for one that is not in the front directly on Gulf Blv...
Green Features: This hotel stresses environmentally friendly practices by providing water saving fixtures, a re-usable shopping bag in the kitchen, and energy saving bulbs.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank divegirlFlorida
Plaza-Resorts_Owner, General Manager at Bay Palms Waterfront Resort - Hotel and Marina, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Thank you for a great, detailed Five Star review of your stay at the Bay Palms Waterfront Resort – Hotel and Marina. All of our check ins are handled at the beachfront property. Many booking through the third party sites miss this information, but it is in the property description and should also be on your confirmation from them. I’m glad you took advantage of the “Stay at One, Play at All Three” motto between our resorts to be able to enjoy all of our amenities. Thanks for also noticing our Green Features. We try to implement as many eco-friendly policies as we can to do our part. I hope we’ll be seeing you again at one of our resorts; next time call us to book directly with our Low Price Guarantee.

Robert Czyszczon
Plaza Beach Resorts

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
Tampa, FL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

We stayed at Bay Palms Waterfront Resort and chose them because we were coming by boat. The place was well maintained and the staff were friendly. We were able to keep the boat at the resort all weekend which was very convenient. The two of us stayed in #110 which was a great room with small patio on the inter-coastal. We enjoyed sitting on the patio after a day on the water. The room was nice and clean - the bed was very comfortable and the bathroom was recently updated. They also have a pool and BBQ grills.

Green Features: They have a few signs about being environmentally friendly and it was obvious that they follow these practices. I was happy to see it.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
North Bergen, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2014

This is a great hotel! Close to everything, very clean and great accomadations for the price. There is FREE parking and the staff was friendly and helpful. My daughter is a student at Eckerd College and it is very close to the school.

Room Tip: if your looking just for a clean room and close to proximity to the beach, this is a great place!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
West Lafayette, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014

I enjoyed the trip with my family for 3 days. The resort was clean and calm. It had a beautiful place for fishing and outdoor pool. The beach was close to the resort and it was free to park there. However, the office is away from the resort so that I had to drive to get there. The price was quite affordable and I had a pleasant memory in this resort. I want to visit there again!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
New Ulm, Minnesota
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

This resort is close to everything. It is across the street from the beach resorts, half a block from Walgreens, 2 blocks from Publics, lots of restaurants within walking distance.

To get to the beach walk south (to the right towards Walgreens) 1/2 block and cross Gulf Blvd. Look for the white concrete arch. Walk through the arch, it is a path straight to the beach.

You do have to check in at a sister resort, Plaza Beach Hotel which is 2 blocks south. There is no office at the Bay Palms. If you want beach/pool towels you have to go to the Plaza Beach Hotel.

The Bay Palms has a huge deck that looks out over the inter-coastal waters. There is also a small pool. There are thatched "tiki huts" that provide shade if you want to be outside but not be in the sun.

They do not provide coffee in the rooms. There is coffee in the lobby of the Plaza Beach Hotel in the mornings, but I did not want to walk 2 blocks for morning coffee. The rooms do have a coffee machine and filters, but you have to bring your own coffee. Traffic noise does exist, if you are a light sleeper, bring ear plugs.

A big positive is the resort is eco friendly. The rooms have mounted dispensers for dish soap, hand soap, shampoo and conditioner, thus saving plastic bottles from the land fill.

Since I was alone, they put me in a small hotel style efficiency room. The room would be tight with two people. The suites with separate bedrooms are much bigger. There were many suites available the entire time I stayed there but I was not offered an upgrade. Also, when I checked in there was no running water. The desk said they would send maintenance. I waited for over two hours (lost vacation time) and finally checked and it worked! It would have been better customer service if they would have called to inform me it was fixed and I could have spent time at the beach. Two examples of not understanding customer service.

Over all the place is great if you prefer the old style resorts. I do not mean that to be a negative. I do not like the high rise style places, but like places with charm and character. This place has that.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank ecodevo
Plaza-Resorts_Owner, General Manager at Bay Palms Waterfront Resort - Hotel and Marina, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. I’m glad you appreciated our eco-friendly initiatives and close proximity to the beach and stores. I apologize that the water was not working when you checked in. I looked into it and found they had shut the water to a few rooms off for about five minutes while making a quick repair. After your phone call, the front desk immediately called maintenance and they advised the water was already back on. The front desk called your room right away, but got no answer. We actually did not have any of the larger one bedroom suites available during your stay. Next time, we encourage you to book directly so that we can let you know exactly what is available. Your room was booked through a third party for a secret room type, which is our standard room. Since you prefer smaller resorts like ours, I hope you come back and visit again.

Robert Czyszczon
Plaza Beach Resorts
Little Ferry, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2014

I was so pleased with Bay Palms Waterfront. From the street it looked like your typical beach hotel but when you went to the back it was a whole different world with the dock, pool, deck and a great tropical decor, The place is beautiful and peaceful and very close to great restaurants and beaches. The staff at check in were very pleasant and accommodating...so very polite. Our housekeeper Inga was exceptional. Always smiling and always asking if there was anything we needed. Please take good care of her. What I loved especially about Bay Palms they didn't have carpet nor bedspreads. Unlike other hotels when your linens were changed you didn't have to worry about cleanliness. The floors were tiled so you were sure they were very clean because they were mopped and the room always smelled fresh. This is the first time there and I look forward to future stays at Bay Palms.

Room Tip: All rooms seemed to be top notch,
Green Features: Exceptional. Bay Palms' staff is very aware of the environment. The cleanliness of the room was above any other hotel I've stayed at.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Lakeland, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2014

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at Bay Palms Resort. The facility and staff were very accommodating and friendly. The room was clean, nicely decorated,and the boat docking was everything that i expected. I will be staying there again in the near future.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo