“Quant, Inexpensive & Convenient”
Review of Keystone Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in St. Pete Beach
Keystone Motel
Ranked #22 of 32 Hotels in St. Pete Beach
Atlanta, Georgia
“Quant, Inexpensive & Convenient”
Reviewed 14 July 2013

I normally stay at the major chain hotels when I travel, but I ventured out to this gem during a stay for a Triathlon & I'm glad I did. I read a few reviews and I picked it based on those reviews. Much like the other reviews the location was prime. We arrived as spring break was ending in April, so we didn't see the crowds. Having no breakfast service was fine because we got it next door at Hurricane's. I will advise to be careful at breakfast at the Hurricane next door because when you look at the hotel's 2nd level there is a small window into the shower of one of the rooms. During our breakfast sitting at the Hurricane, one guy made sure everyone 'down below' knew he was 'showering'. Nothing to be concerned about & I chalk that up to the guest, not the hotel.

Walking across the street to the beach and having eating/great drinking near by made this place primo!!

**ASK for a parking pass from Hotel personnel** I think the city parking attendants get paid on commission!

Pool area has that 'Melrose Place' feel to it but without all the drama!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank MichaelK614

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
  • Polish first
Rockford, Illinois, United States
Reviewed 27 June 2013

What more could you ask for...located right across the street from the gulf and beautiful sandy beaches, right next door to a decent restaurant and a great pool. Watching the sunsets on the beach are awesome! I have come here since I was young, but I have to say that this time I was disappointed. While they have made several improvements; new paint on the outside, and remodeled several bathrooms, our beds were hard and our pillows like bricks. Our place had an air conditioner aimed right at the bed; it had to cool bedroom and the living area. In order to do that you had to keep the bedroom pretty frigid, which made sleeping difficult. Furniture was in good condition, but wasn't comfortable. While the woman who worked the front desk was very friendly and helpful, the man wasn't nearly as friendly. I will still go here, for location and the memories, but won't stay on third floor!

Room Tip: Apartments are usually more comfortable.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank LovesTravel524
Mendota, Illinois
Reviewed 20 June 2013

We recently spent two days on the sunny shores of Pass-A-Grille Beach at the south end of St. Pete Beach in June. We opted to stay at the Keystone Motel since we wanted to stay in Pass-A-Grille and there were no other locations available. We had some concerns due to the variety of reviews but I am glad to report that the Keystone was a nice place to visit for our two-day stay. The motel is a motel and one should not expect a top end hotel. The room we were offered was large and included a full kitchen, dining room area, living room area and a bedroom. Our two children each had their own beds and it was clean. The real selling point on the Keystone is its central location at the heart of Pass-A-Grille Beach. The motel is flanked by two restaurants, a variety of shops in the quaint downtown of Pass-A-Grille and the beautiful beach and Gulf of Mexico are located just across the street. The sunsets from the pool deck and surrounding area are worth it alone. A short block away is the well known Seahorse Restaurant and the Merry Pier, which is a good locale for fishing and charter trips on the Miss Pass-A-Grille. Best of all, the Keystone provides a free parking pass for those staying at the motel, which is critical since beach parking can be at a premium at times. Overall, we had a very positive experience at the Keystone.

Room Tip: The one bedroom apartment was very nice on the first floor.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Toobs1
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 27 May 2013

Great little place to stay while wanting casual relaxing time at the beach. Right in the heart of Pas-A-Grille , Fl. You can walk to get a cup of coffee , dining & a cocktail. It is on the beach with many great restaurants. Paradise Grill is across the street & they have live entertainment nightly & on weekends artist selling their artwork. Enjoy

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Lisa H
palm springs, ca
Reviewed 24 May 2013

This was our second (and probably last) visit to the Keystone. Last May (2012) was pleasant enough so we decided to return this past week for four days. The room on the second floor was seedy with mismatched furniture etc. However the room was never cleaned once during our four day stay. The bathtub had almost as much sand as the beach by the time we left and I don't think that the motel even owns a vacuum.

The problem is the management. No one seems to give a darn. I told an older woman at the front desk about the lack of housekeeping (in response to her question on our stay). She said that she had never been told of this before. I suggested at she get "get off her duff" and go walk around the property.

No one is available from about 5PM until the next morning supposedly at 9:30 in the morning. I waited until almost 10 to check out since the young lady who was to open the office was 30 minutes or so late. Her excuse "they are on Florida time".

While the location is great and the prices are cheap, I must correct the young lady mentioned above. She is operating on a different planet, not Florida time!

Room Tip: Until they clean up their act go elsewhere!
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank dag144
Columbus, Indiana
Reviewed 13 May 2013

I decided on this motel out of necessity; we had decided to visit Pass-A-Grille on the advice of a friend who used to live there. It sounded like the perfect spot for us old college roommates to meet up without kids, walk to dinner, enjoy the beach, and have a laid-back weekend.

My old friend was right about the locale: Pass-A-Grille was perfect. The motel, on the other hand, had seen better days. Location was great - right across the street from the beach. But the rooms were in barely passable shape: stained carpets, missing tiles in the bathroom, window air conditioning units that either froze you (or, if left off, let you steam in your room). There was no hallway air conditioning, no morning coffee, no extras whatsoever. The towels were not large enough to cover an adult human all the way around, and they were barely thinner than paper, many of them with holes. All of this could have been overlooked -- perhaps even appreciated, in a kitschy, old-Florida way. After all, the hotel has been in the family since 1945, and it's still run by the descendants of the man who built it all those years ago.

But that family didn't seem to agree on its rates, even amongst themselves. When I called to book the room, I was told I would have a downstairs room with a fridge and enough beds to accommodate three grown women. Price? $135/night. When the first guest arrived, she was shown to a dinky two double-bed room with no fridge. Price? $105/night. She assumed that's what I booked and figured we'd make do; we used to camp out on dorm floors. But that was almost 20 years ago, and we're all older and creakier, so she decided to go ask if there was a bigger room available that we could upgrade to. The man told her there was - a one bedroom/three bed location on the third floor. With a full extra room, and a bed for each of us, she took it. Price? $115/night. We stayed for our three nights, enjoyed the pool, the area, the beach, the great local restaurants.

We went to check out ahead of time on Saturday night, knowing the office would probably not be open before we needed to leave Sunday morning, at about 9 a.m. As we went to check out, the matriarch of the family told us to come back because she couldn't do it herself. No problem. We came back a couple hours later and her daughter started to check us out - at $135/night. Even she hesitated, but didn't say anything out loud, just started running our cards. One of our party questioned the rate, and she immediately agreed, then started running our cards at the lower rate (115/night). Then the matriarch told her no, she needed to add $20/night because we had three in the room instead of two. That was the first we'd ever heard of that. We explained what we'd been quoted, and the daughter agreed it was confusing. Then she charged us $135/night.

If she had just said to us that she was sorry for the confusion and charged us the quoted rate, or even halfway in the middle, we would have come away feeling good about the experience. Instead we felt like we'd been taken. It certainly didn't ruin our trip, but it did leave us coming away with a bad taste in our mouths.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
5 Thank slater195
Reviewed 8 May 2013 via mobile

The Mrs and I stay here several times a year. Price is very reasonable, staff is friendy and the location is excellent. Beach across the street and the Intra Coastal about 100 yards behind the hotel. Small area but enough high quality restaurants to keep your taste buds happy. Beautiful beach and spectacular sunsets. Love this place and can't wait to go back.

• Stayed January 2013