Message from TripAdvisor:

“Wish we didn't have to leave”
Review of Caprice Resort

Caprice Resort
Ireland
“Wish we didn't have to leave”
Reviewed 2 September 2010

Having had parents who lived in this area for close to 30 years, St. Pete Beach was always a second home. I was extremely disappointed when they decided to leave the area as there is no finer beach than St. Pete and the Gulf of Mexico.

I was looking for a place on St. Pete Beach within walking distance to restaurants, shops, etc. I found it in the Caprice. The office staff were friendly and helpful, especially when I called to say my flight had been cancelled and I would be arriving a day later. The condo was clean, cool, modern, and had a kitchen well stocked with all sorts of plates, glasses, etc. The pool was clean and well maintained with lots of chairs! We couldn't have been more pleased.

The condo was actually nicer than the virtural tour on their website. We enjoyed it so much, we made a reservation for next year. You won't be disappointed. We weren't!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank PJRIreland

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Oakville, Canada
Reviewed 20 June 2010

I recently returned from a week at the Caprice (unit 501). I was pleasantly surprised at how nice the apartment was. I would suggest that the carpets be cleaned more often. Other than that the apartment was quite clean. Apartment also included WiFi and digital TV (living room and master bedroom)

The Caprice is conveniently located on St.Pete Beach and within walking distance of the main strip. The pool was clean and usually not very busy. The Caprice also supplied two propane BBQ’s for guest usage. Covered parking was available for guests. When reviewing pictures of the Caprice online they usually include a picture of a fitness centre. Turns out it is the management office and the equipment is not in use.

We booked through Resort Rentals and the service was great. They answered all my questions as this was my first trip to St Pete.

I would suggest you do your shopping at Sweetbay Grocery store (at 75th and Blind Pass) instead of the Publix. I found the Publix busy and over priced. Way too many tourists. Try the Dollar Tree for supplies such as paper towels etc...

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 14 June 2010

My wife and I just returned from a week long stay at the the Caprice - unit #503. We had a great time - the Caprice is a nice, moderately priced condo complex that has just about everything you need for a quiet, relaxing week at the beach. We really have no significant complaints at all about our stay. We did not look at too many other resorts/rentals before deciding on the Caprice, but we are very happy with the choice that we made. The condo was full of sunshine and having a beach front balcony really just cannot be beat. We really enjoyed our stay and will seriously consider going back in the future - both to St. Pete Beach and the Caprice Resort.

Here are the primary negatives that I would note, which, in my opinion, were really very minor negatives. None of these really detracted from our stay in any significant way, but they are things I would have liked to know before I went, so I will record them for you.

One, the appliances are quite out-dated. All of them worked adequately and so I don't really view this as too much of a negative, but it is something that both my wife and I noticed. I believe other units may have more updated appliances, so a different unit may have been nicer in this respect.

Two, the shower head was not the best I have ever experienced - I enjoy a nice powerful shower head, and the one in unit #503 is quite old and dated without much power. It was perfectly adequate for taking a shower, but I would have enjoyed a nicer shower head.

Three, the DVD player had no remote. This made it a bit difficult to watch one of our DVDs (we actually ended up buying a cheap universal remote from Walmart during our stay so we could use it - sorry, we took it with us).

Four, the washer/dryer is coin operated and is not in the unit itself - I pretty much expected this, but it is something to note. We used the coin operated units once during our stay and had no complaints about them - on the 5th floor, they were actually right outside our door, so that was nice.

Fifth, not much of a fitness center at the Caprice. I always enjoy working out while on vacation, so this was a bit of a disappointment. If you are looking for a close, local gym with very cheap day/weak rates, I would recommend the Beach Bod Fitness Center, which is just a couple of blocks away - nothing fancy, but a very friendly staff, cheap rates, and a nice selection of weights and nautilus equipment. I visited there 3 times during my stay, and enjoyed my workout each time very much.

Sixth, as other reviewers have noted, the part of St. Pete Beach outside of the Caprice does suffer from beach erosion and so there are these large, yellow sandbag structures there. In my opinion, it really wasn't that big of a deal and did not detract much from our beach experience at all. However, I could see this being a bit disappointing if you didn't know about it before you went. If you go just a bit further south on the beach, the sandbag structures are not there, and the beach flattens out much more nicely. Again, this did not bother me or my wife, but it may bother some.

That is about it for the negatives that I can note. As you can see, they really are not very significant things. We really enjoyed our time, and will seriously consider going back! Hope my review is helpful.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank airjay81
Missouri
Reviewed 11 April 2010

We just returned from the Caprice, I will tell you that we where on the 5th floor had a great view and the property was nice because of the fact that the place is secure. Your kids cannot leave the property from the pool to go to the beach without a key. Our room was nice but outdated, needed more cookware but we still enjoyed our stay, how could you not St Pete is great. The downside of this property is that Libertie Managment claims they are one of the best, well I can tell you that the are incorrect. Our keys where not correct for the pool are or our door, we called the emergency number and did not get a response, they never knew I even called and I called twice. I went to the office two days later and spoke with Sue, she was rude as hell until I asked her if she had a problem and then she somewhat lightened up, somewhat!! The other person that works days is very nice. Whats amazing is when called to spend my $1700+ dollars to book the room Sue was so nice, but she is an ugly person on the inside when you need her help. The property was clean but our room floors where so dirty it was disgusting, our family upstairs had a room and the carpets where dirty there also. It is very expensive so try and take a small trip to Walmart or Target and get most of your food and go to the Meat Market in Pass- A- Grill for your steaks and Sea Food, it is a small place but they have everying you need from meat, fish and everything you could imagine so cheap, the best palce ever. I am getting ready to book again for next year but the Caprice may not be my next stop unless they get rid of Sue and clean the carpets. Just so you know we travel about 4 times per year. I have stayed at very type including high dollar and inexpensive hotels and condos so I do have much experience. And by the way, do not go to Bush Gardens during or close to high season it is a waist of money. I think it is so overpriced anyway.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank moagent007
Peoria,IL
Reviewed 21 January 2010

I have visited the St Pete Beach area many times and this is by far the BEST place I have stayed. We stayed at Condo # 403. On-line booking is is kinda scarry but you have nothing to worry about booking this condo with Bob. This building is off the main road and is just so private and quiet. The view from the balcony is totally unblocked and GREAT to people watch. VERY RELAXING! If you have children, this whole property is fenced and there is a grassy area. Very secure from the beach itself.
Beach is absolutely fabulous---the geo-tubes do not have ANY affect on any beach activities. In fact, we found them very interesting! You will not be dissapointed with the Caprice! VLD Peoria, IL

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
4 Thank visionbuilder
Syracuse
Reviewed 7 January 2010

The beach at this location is disappointing. There are tee groins (enormous sandbags) along the beach to prevent beach erosion. The beach erosion in this location is pretty serious. You can not walk the waters edge without a tee groin interruption. I do realize this is not the Caprices fault.

The unit we stayed in had filthy livingroom furniture. The couch and loveseat were very questionable.

The master bedroom window would not close completely. So we heard partiers all night long in the park next door several nights in a row.

Plus, noisey upstair neighbors with a screaming kid at 3am on a nightly basis running the floors and carrying on.

A hot water heater that was set at a temp of 120, the lowest setting, meaning 3 minute showers literally.

One washer & dryer on 3 floors of the building. Two of the floors the lights did not work for evening use. Also, bring lots of quarters.

Plus, the parking situation totally sucked for anyone with a larger vehicle.

There were two Tv's in the unit. The livingroom TV was black & white and the master bedroom TV had a problem with audio (muffled mostly) & the remote did not work.

Black counter tops throughout unit appeared very worn, stains, etc.

Also, master closet door was broken.

A lot of the items I mention you can live with. However, when you are paying big money you expect to have a nicer place. We stayed at Sunset Vistas last year for less money and better accomodations & a better beach. Plus, we looked at a 2/2 at Isla Del Sol for next year. Better accomodations and twice the stay for the same price.

Best of luck!

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank TvlingMan
Shefford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 November 2009

Caprice Resort Condo
We (hubby and I) normally have a week at St Petes Beach when we go to Florida and stay at the Howard Johnson hotel. I’d been trawling through various rental websites and had seen the Caprice resort, however we decided as it was low season we wouldn’t try and book as the weather can be very changeable in November and would see if they had a vacancy when we got there. We popped into the Caprice reception before going onto the HoJo and the receptionist said a one bedroomed condo (no. 205) was available for $1020 for the week (inclusive of taxes and cleaning fee). This seemed to be the going rate for other similar condo's in the area. We asked to see the room first and as soon as she opened the door all thoughts of staying at the HoJo disappeared! For an extra couple of hundred dollars it was worth it. There was a fully equipped kitchen including washing up liquid, dishwasher tabs, teatowels and kitchen roll The only negative was there wasn’t much worktop space so if there were more than 2 of you and you ate in it could be a problem, however the apartment is open plan the dining room table is right next to the kitchen. There’s a bathroom with a shower over the bath, shelves and a sink unit with enough towels for 2 people for the week (4 bath and 3 hand towels). There were also 2 towels for the sunbeds. The bedroom was a good size with a huge bed (UK super-king), sliding doors to the balcony and wonderful views of the beach (which also could be seen from the bed). There was a walk-in closet with plenty of hangers, 2 bedside cabinets and 2 chests of drawers with the tv on top of one. The lounge was fully furnished with a 42” tv and stereo system. The aircon is through vents so no noisy clanking from the aircon units, and we found that it was often cooler to turn off the aircon and have both balcony doors open as a breeze flowed through. The floor was tiled throughout and the décor was in neutral colours with various pictures of sea views and palm trees – it was very tastefully decorated and very clean. There were also sliding doors from the lounge to the balcony which had a sunbed, a table, 4 chairs and a small airer. We have stayed at St Petes Beach many times but these apartments must have the best views of it ! You can see all the apartments on their websites virtual tour. There’s no washing machine but there are laundry rooms on the 2nd, 4th and 5th floors and it cost $1.50 each for a wash and tumbledry. There is a small gym and lounge opposite the reception on the 1st floor. The pool area and gardens are well maintained with a separate enclosed seating/sunbathing area with 2 gas BBQ’s. There were plenty of sunbeds and a few tables and chairs around the pool. On most days there were only about 6 of us and it was very quiet which suited us. The other guests/owners were a little older than us (we are in our late 40’s) but everyone was very friendly and were either Canadian or American. You are given two keys which give you access to the main door, your apartment and the gate to the beach. There is free car parking with 6 spaces under the building (not suitable if you have a large vehicle), 3 spaces at the side which are in the shade and more spaces in the car park at the front (still within the private grounds but also in the sun) which are on a ‘first come first served’ basis.

Food, drink, things to do & see
Most mornings we’d walk up the beach as far as the Don CeSar (the big pink hotel) then walk back (it’s about an hours walk each way) and stop off at the Paradise Grill beach café for breakfast which is just a few yards from the Caprice. It’s a basic but has an adequate and reasonably priced menu and you sit outside on wooden benches and tables on the decking.
We enjoyed our sunset drinks at Woodies Waterside Bar & Restaurant just behind the condo. The beers here were cheaper than anywhere else we tried at $2.50 for a ‘tall’ one in a glass (the beach bars serve them in plastic cups) and they have specials on their menu every night . There is music while you watch the sun set and the dolphins and we found each time we went the acts were very good (gentle rock and oldies, not booming like some of the hotel beach bars) and it’s a popular place with the locals. There are a couple of other bar/restaurants just up the road from Woodies that are a bit nosier and livelier so it’s nice to have the choice… There are plenty of other bars along the beach too all offering different music, offers etc. although we did find Jimmy B’s to be the most expensive. The Dolphin Hotel beach bar does the best chicken wings. Bongo’s has now moved further up the beach next to the round hotel (currently called Grand Plaza Hotel), and the HoJo beach bar has also changed it’s name but we never saw it open. so assumed it only now opens during the peak season because Jimmy B’s and the Postcard Inn attract their guests.
PJ’s Oyster Bar restaurant off Corey Ave is very good and again popular (see the Corey Ave web site for list of shops etc.). The servers are friendly and though it’s busy our server remembered us when we went back 4 days later.
We usually eat at Skidders and Snappers but they were busy so we didn’t get a chance.
We’d been to Silas Dents steakhouse before and it wasn’t very good (fish was undercooked and the server was ‘greasy’) so thought we’d give it another try. This time is was as bad. although the server was nice. I had pasta which must have been warmed in the microwave and not stirred as parts of it were cold. I returned it and said to the server they could just heat it in the microwave, she said they wouldn’t do that as it would spoil it ! I think they must have just put it under a heat lamp because it was only warmer on top but it took at least 5 minutes for it to be returned to me. We won’t bother going there again - there are too many nice restaurants around to waste our money there.
We’d read that Beverly’s was good for breakfast so on the Sunday morning we decided to give it a try but people were queuing for a table so we carried on into Corey Ave and were pleased to see there was a farmer’s market on so we had breakfast outside, listening to the live music, at the Madeleina Cottage Restaurant and this was very good too. It’s run by Brits and they do an excellent Welsh Rarebit (I even asked the owner how he does it for when I got home). Sadly this was our last day otherwise we would have tried it for dinner or lunch too. It’s on our list for next time !
We would recommend the Dolphin Racer speedboat ride from Corey Causeway. It’s a gentle trip around the waterway past the elegant homes, through Johns Pass then they take you on a high speed ride along the beaches and encourage the Dolphins to jump the waves. We have done this a couple of times and each time had a great trip - it’s lovely to watch the Dolphins enjoying themselves and the captain was very respectful of the animals, too. He just drove around a few times until the Dolphins came over to us and then he pushed the speed up to encourage them to jump the waves. Everyone got wet, especially at the back so put a towel in the car to sit on. We’ve also been on the Dolphin Landings boat situated at the Dolphin shopping centre near the Don CeSar and they were good too.
We like to visit John’s Pass too, however don’t get there till after 10am as nothing is open but there are lots of shops and restaurants and nice views over the waterway. Take quarters it’s metered parking (25c = ½ hour).

To sum up
St Pete’s Beach is one of our favourite places and we would definitely stay at the Caprice Resort again

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple