“Philthy Phil's is Phrighteningly Phoul”
Review of Philthy Phil's Bar

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Philthy Phil's Bar
Ranked #15 of 17 Nightlife in St. Pete Beach
Toronto
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Philthy Phil's is Phrighteningly Phoul”
Reviewed 19 April 2008

Philthy Phil's is located directly across the water from the condo our family rented in Treasure Island, Florida. From our balcony we could see that the place was constantly crowded with patrons and so, our curiosity piqued, we decided to try them out for lunch. My wife is lactose intolerant and is used to having a limited selection to choose from when vacationing and Phil's proved to be virtually intolerant of those with her dietary restrictions. Finally, after quizzing our waitress, she found that only one item on the menu could be ostensibly altered enough to not cause her extreme gastro-intestinal discomfort: a chicken dish vaguely asian. I opted for the fish and chips special. We waited patiently for our meals amidst the tumult of no less than three TVs near our little corner, all playing different stations, the dim of revving Harley Davidsons and clattering of dishes cleared away by a disgruntled employee. Our Bloody Marys arrived first: unbearably salty and, if tomato juice was used (they were the correct colour), it was badly tainted - the drinks were undrinkable. The aforementioned chicken dish covered in a dark brown, lumpy sauce and the meat was of the thickness and consistency of shoe's sole. The accompanying salad consisted of limp alfalfa sprouts and limper greenery. My fish and chips were dismal. The batter had the consistency of Colonel Sanders chicken long forgotten in the fridge and covered paper thin fillets of fishy matter. The chips were left virtually untouched and chocked with grease.
I can't imagine what the draw to Phil's must be. Perhaps it's the cheap booze. Avoid at all costs.

4 Thank BuddyCampbell

Orlando, FL
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Lunchtime Review”
Reviewed 10 April 2008

We decided on Philthy Phils because is was down a little road and off the beaten path and it faced a little inlet so we could watch the fishermen and the water. Seemed like a nice spot and was for scenery. It looks like mostly locals come in. We ate on the rooftop, overlooking the inlet. I ordered the grouper sandwich - which came out COVERED in grease. It was fried tough. The batter ripped up my gums in the back of my mouth even. I've eaten quite a number of grouper sandwiches and this was - by far - the worst sandwich I'd ever had. It had no flavor at all - the potato chips they put on the side had more flavor. My fiancee' on the other hand has a philly-steak sandwich. It tasted pretty good, so...by my surmise, don't order anything fried unless you like things swimming in grease with no flavor.

3 Thank c5522