“High hopes”

Cuisines: Mediterranean
St. Pete Beach, Florida
“High hopes”
Reviewed 16 December 2012

We went when they first opened and had good steak and yucky veggies. They were also out of certain liquors. However, I have high hopes. The chef came out to see us after the meal to check on us, and for what it's worth I'll take an ill-prepared side of squash over an ill-prepared steak any day. Hoping that as they go they'll get more finely tuned, so we will definitely go back.

Visited September 2012
1 Thank CathySalustri

“Closed”
Reviewed 28 December 2011

Oscar really tried a different pricing concept when he opened by offering a geat meal for $10. He did steaks, seafood, everything with salad, sides, and bread for this price and it was good when he first opened. Unfortunately, we who dine out all the time, knew that eventually these bargain dinners would have to go up or quality had to go down. Both happened in conjunction with the long, hot, no business summer in St Pete Beach, so the restaurant perished.

• Visited January 2011
St. Pete Beach, Florida
“a great find”
Reviewed 7 April 2011

In February we had friends take us to Oscar's. We were very impressed and have been back on several occasions and have told other people about it. The food is good, the atmosphere is good and the piano music is a plus. I almost forgot that the prices are wonderful.

• Visited March 2011
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Five Dollar Difference: Happy vs Unhappy”
Reviewed 25 February 2011

Let me begin by saying that I was very pleased with the prices, our Yugoslavian Server, and my Shrimp & Rice Entree. However, I am appalled at the treatment shown to my Great Grandmother and myself. Might I also add that I would not be writing this bad review had I been treated with a bit more respect & kindness when speaking with the owner, Oscar.

Upon my first and only visit to Oscars I was very excited, as my Ecuadorian coworker raved about the food and pricing, especially the Ceviche. Of course I ordered the Ceviche right away as an appetizer. Here is where my $5.00 debacle began. Our server informed me that on that particular evening the Ceviche was served with Dill instead of Cilantro. I hesitated, but took a chance on it. I had two bites and was not pleased. Ick...weird combo, no lime taste, don't try that one at home (also it was Grouper I believe instead of shrimp, whatever). The server asked me what I thought and I told her the truth. She said "I am happy to take it back to the kitchen." I accepted the offer kindly, and ordered a side salad $4.00 instead.

Long story short, the Ceviche was left on the bill. When I confronted the server she told me that "he" in the kitchen said she could not take it off of the menu due to my knowledge of their Dill usage. When explaining the situation to Oscar, "one of the owners" as he put it, he offered NO apology, NO "please try us again", his response was "I don't know what the situation is as I have been behind the bar". Which was probably a fib as he seemed to magically know that we had a Restaurant.com voucher. Which by the way we were over $35.00 minimum with or without the $5.00 Ceviche.

It is not about $5.00, it's the principle. I am a local and work at a popular hotel on St. Pete Beach. He did not care about that. Smart business buddy. They were very busy due to the great food, I will not deny that. However, if the OWNER does not know how to make my uncomfortable finish to an otherwise lovely meal, than he really needs a lesson on customer service. Would he have spoken with me so coldly (NO SMILES, NO WARMTH) if I were not in my mid twenties, if I had a $200.00 bill instead of a $40.00 with a restaurant.com voucher....unfortunately for him he mistreated a young lady who works at the most popular beach hotel, writes a monthly e-newsletter to all of our guests, and eats out CONSTANTLY. Oscar, this is an oops moment. "Try a little tenderness" next time pal.

• Visited February 2011
Edinburgh
“A great restaurant with lovely staff amazing food and very reasonable prices”
Reviewed 2 February 2011

Oscars is a great restaurant with lovely staff amazing food and very reasonable prices. This place defiantly is a little gem that is was full of locals. The menu is quite small but what food they do do, they do it well. I can recommend the shrimp alfredo, very rich and lots of shrimp. The restaurant is decorated with local art which is all available to buy which adds a nice ever changing character to the place. We sat in the piano bar where they had a great jazz pianist playing, another great touch which made us get another bottle of wine to sit with at the bar once the meal was over.

• Visited February 2011