“fantastic friendly beach hotel”

Beachcomber Beach Resort & Hotel
Ranked #11 of 32 Hotels in St. Pete Beach
Reviewed 23 May 2012

the beachcomber hotel is friendly very clean fresh towels clean rooms, reception staff happy to help with any questions about the area places to go where to eat and will give maps telephone numbers of places of inttrest they will call good reliable cabs. the hotel is located right on the beach so all you have to do is step out of your room and walk into the sea. there is a beach bar that plays great musiceach night, just sit and listen and watch the sunset.

Room Tip: just ask for Ave on reception she so helpful and smiley
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,790)

Reviewed 22 May 2012

Okay, the rooms are a little dated, the A/C noisy and the bathroom quite small but who spends time in a room when you're right on the beach with one of the best beach bars in Florida a few steps from your door.
Jimmy Bs is, of course, an institution with bands playing every evening at sunset and again inside when the sun goes down.
There's also a great old-time sports bar at the front of the hotel.
With free wi-fi and free coffee and newspapers in reception the $90-$120 per night we paid during our stay was excellent value.
The great thing about the Beachcomber and St Pete Beach in general is that rather than tear down its heritage and build a monstrosity the past is preserved then tweaked a bit to bring it up to date.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Wahaay
Reviewed 21 May 2012

Clean and comfortable low density older hotel which has been remodeled and updated. This property consists of paralell two story buildings with broad courtyard between them positioned perpendicular to beach highway and beach. Parking in front of hotel and one-way entrance to angle-in along outside walls of each buidling. We had ground floor room midway between front entrance and beach bar/cafe. Bed was very comfortable and room well maintained, bright and cheerful. Ours had kitchenette which was well equipped and perfect for our needs as we like to prepare our own breakfast with organically grown eggs, bacon and coffee. We enjoyed the sounds of the fountain and the cool breezes blowing accross the courtyard from the chairs at the entrance to our room. Walk to the beach is easy and close. Beach cabana and lounge chair rentals as well as other water activities are available. We arrived on a Saturday and checked out on Wed to attend 4 day conference in Clearwater beach. The weekdays are best here as the weekend (late in April) was hectic and crowded. We found the weekdays at this resort very restfull. We noticed that the locals gather at the bar fronting the beach and it can get rather noisy after 5pm with live music and partying. This would have been an issue for us if we had spent the extra $ to have a room fronting the beach so we were glad we didn't. Also, I can see how some who have written about noise could have had bad experiences with the parking up againt the outside wall of rooms. We were fortunate not to have had any of these experiences and I suspect they are rare during the week days.
Staff was very friendly and helpful. As nice as any place we have stayed and we travel a lot.

Room Tip: Rooms mid-courtyard appear to be best choice-half way between the noise of the front entrance, parki...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 May 2012

I was visiting St. Petersburg for meetings downtown, and the organizers had recommended a property near the conference center. However, I reasoned that it didn't make any sense to be in St. Pete and not stay at the beach, so after reading other online reviews I took the plunge and booked the Beachcomber as part of a package through an online site. I didn't know what to expect and was dreading the daily commute, but staying at the beach would be worth it, right? It turns out the answer is yes.

St. Pete Beach, in general, is a great case for redevelopment. Busy Gulf Boulevard is not pedestrian-friendly and the lack of planning misses an opportunity to make the most of this beautiful beach environment. Like many of the hotels and motels on the strip, the Beachcomber doesn't look like much from the strip. The low-rise complex doesn't really stand out. However, once you walk in you began to sense that this is a special place.

Check in time is officially 4 p.m., and I arrived shortly after noon on a Thursday. I was able to snag a prime parking space out front and headed into the soaring lobby. I was greeted by a very friendly desk agent. She took my information and promised to call when a room was ready. I grabbed a parking pass for my dashboard and went out to get the license plate number from my rental car. When I walked back in five minutes later, she told me my room was ready! That was welcome news, and huge props to the staff for being able to accommodate me early. I left the lobby and headed to my room.

Unlike many of the hotels, the Beachcomber has very few rooms that look toward the Gulf. It looks like there are a handful on the second story that have views, although I didn't get a chance to visit any. Instead, all of the rooms face a central, well-landscaped grassy courtyard with a large attractive fountain, two pools and palm trees. It is a restful and soothing space after being out on Gulf Boulevard. When not at the beach or the bars, many guests can be seen just hanging out on shared balconies or patios reading or enjoying the view. It's a very pleasant way to spend time.

After taking in the courtyard, I headed to my room, 207, which was near the beautiful, blue-tiled fountain not quite halfway down the space. The room decor was surprising. It was darker than I expected, done in mossy greens and burgundies. It actually seemed more fitting for a business hotel than a beach resort, but it was more than adequate. My room had two double beds, a mini-fridge and coffeemaker. I was really surprised by the closet, which was equipped with an ironing board, iron and safe (more about this later). The room had a large tube television. Flat panels are nicer, but I can understand the reluctance to replace large televisions that work fine, especially when the furniture is built to accommodate them, so I don't hold this against the Beachcomber. And you're at the beach. The only time I watched any television was in a few minutes before bed. A note about the beds: They are just okay. If you are used to sleeping on a pillowtop, you may find them uncomfortable at first (these are not Heavenly Beds), but they are perfectly fine for a hotel. It just took me a night to get used to it.

The closet was a walk-in, with its own light! I've stayed across the world in hotels of all stripes, including grand suites with their own dining rooms and kitchens. Never have I encountered a walk-in closet of this size in a hotel before. It was a pleasant surprise. Even though it was more room than I needed for my stay, I could see where it would be useful for a family or someone staying more than the three nights I was there.

I did notice that the air conditioning wasn't working, and I kept pressing buttons on the modern window unit to no avail. I called the front desk and they said they would send someone up. It took about five minutes. It turns out there was a circuit breaker on the plug that had tripped, which the tech quickly reset and then cheerfully showed me how to operate the unit.

The bathroom, while small, was adequate. The toiletries that were provided are nothing special, but I always bring my own soaps and lotions anyway. The hot water was plentiful, which is always a great thing.

My priority was getting down to the beach before I had to start my meetings, so I wanted to lock up some valuables in the safe. It turned out it was operated with a key, which I hadn't encountered in a while. It requires you to get the key from the front desk. There is a $35 key deposit, which you get back when you return the key, and a $2 daily fee. I'm used to hotels charging all manner of fees, so I didn't balk, but I understand that some might. However, on the plus side you won't pay for wireless access, and there are several different access points. I could see Beachcomber North, Beachcomber South and Jimmy B's networks. My connections varied.

Eventually, I actually made it to Jimmy's, which is a sprawling beach bar, with indoor and outdoor seating, multiple bars inside and out, two stages and a boardwalk to the beach. Coming from an urban center on the East Coast, the drink prices seemed downright cheap to me. And once I discovered there was WiFi, I grabbed my laptop, a table that faced the Gulf and an Alabama Slammer and spent my first afternoon working in one of the best spaces ever. I banged out a report (the drink helped) and really enjoyed myself.

It was made even more enjoyable when a band took to the outdoor stage. It was a great crowd, friendly bartenders and a pleasant day overall. And the wide beach is a short stroll away, with lots of lounge chairs with sunshades. You'll pay a fee during the day for the cabana chairs, but I was only at the beach early in the morning before they started charging or late in the afternoon after they had stopped. It was an awesome place to watch the sun set.

I did spend more time at Jimmy's during my evenings. It was a great crowd, with a mix of people and ages, and the bands were an absolute treat. One of the bartenders, Troy, really went out of his way to be friendly and accommodate his customers. A shout out to Billy as well. That type of enthusiasm is one of the reasons why I enjoyed my stay so much, even taking many meals at the beach bar (although the food was just average, but I wasn't expecting haute cuisine. The drinks are great, though).

My daily commute to downtown was fine, too. The 50-cent tolls are cheap compared to what I'm used to around Washington, D.C., and the drive was just 20 minutes. Of course, it's probably much more during spring break and winter when there are many more people crowding the beaches, but it was perfect during my stay and I'm glad I chose to stay on the Gulf.

When it comes down to it, the Beachcomber is an older property trying hard to please. It makes the most of its setting by providing a wonderful entertainment atmosphere and a relaxing environment for its guests. The people who work here are what make the difference. Everyone I encountered was cheerful and seemed to be genuinely concerned about my having a pleasant stay. Even random housekeepers and maintenance people I saw while walking in the courtyard would say hello and inquire about my stay. That thoughtfulness really made a difference. There are more modern places, with rooms that have Gulf views, but the Beachcomber is about enjoying the people and the outdoors. I will be back for more.

Room Tip: I would ask for a room on the second floor with a view over the courtyard and close to the lobby. I...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
4  Thank GlenhavenTraveler
Reviewed 15 May 2012

We spent Spring Break at the Beachcomber's Resort the last week of March 2012. Great place to relax and enjoy the beautiful grounds and amentities. Thanks to the friendly staff. We'll be back!

Room Tip: We had a room with a small kitchen. Nice to have this option. We were on the second floor "so...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank TwoBZTwoFarm
Reviewed 12 May 2012

We planned to stay there for a quick weekend getaway and only ended up staying one night. It's an older property (which I'm fine with), but it just didn't feel as clean as it should have and it was QUITE noisy. Also, there was a parking lot RIGHT outside our room and the motorcycle revving began at about 1 AM. When we went to check out early the following morning, they informed us that we should have let them know (at 2:00 AM) and almost charged us for the 2nd night even when we didn't stay. We convinced them that it was unreasonable for us to pack our luggage and move to another room in the middle of the night, and ended up not being charged.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank rjmc625
Reviewed 11 May 2012

We stayed in this hotel for one night in September 2011. We really liked the hotel, it is very basic but clean and so cheap. The layout of the hotel is really nice and it is right on the beach so it is in a lovely location. There is a beach bar attached to the hotel and it is really nice, we had a lovely burger in it, really good. They also had a band playing during the day while we were there.

The beach is really nice and the sunset is amazing! I have never seen one like it anywhere I have been, the whole sky lights up so this is a must if you go to St Pete's.

St Pete's itself is really quiet. Do visit Johns Pass for a look around.

I would recommend this hotel for a short break.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple