“First Timers”

Ranked #12 of 32 Hotels in St. Pete Beach
Cedar Rapids
“First Timers”
Reviewed 20 April 2012

I just wanted to let you know we had a wonderful time(we just got back). Some people say you need a certain room to enjoy your stay but really how much time do you spend in your room when your on vacation.If you want to see the most beautiful sunset walk out by the cabana bar or the beach,you will have a great view.Met a lot of nice people that have been coming back here for yrs.The staff was their to help your every need and were very friendly.Were already planning our trip for next year and were bringing our 3 grandkids,daughter and son in-law.Thanks again for making our trip memorable.

Room Tip: I'm sure if you come during spring break it can get pretty noisy(we came right after) but we sta...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (487)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 April 2012

We have just returned from a family trip to St Pete Beach and also from visiting the Alden again after ten years. I'm pleased to report we were very impressed. We love St Pete beach and have been coming here for years.We've stayed at various properties over the past few years (Tradewinds Resort, Don Cesar Beach Suites) but decided to re-visit the Alden again. The rooms are great for a beach based holiday. We had a beach front Cayman suite on the fourth floor of Building 1 which was perfect for our needs. The kitchen area is quite small but well equipped with a microwave and large fridge.
The suites have twin queen beds and a sofa bed in the main living room. The balcony is large enough a two chairs and have splendid views.
There are two pools, a launderette and a cabana beach bar. There are also tennis courts, table tennis and other games for everyone to keep you active when not sunbathing.
Restaurants are plentiful and relatively inexpensive and one evening we had a a meal delivered to our room. We went to the Blue Fugu, Japanese Hibachi restaurant in the Dolphin shopping area (near Publix) which I recommend as the food and service were great.
The beach cabanas cost $20 per day and after one day we did as many other families and went to Publix to buy an umbrella and beach chairs for about the same price ...but of course these lasted us the rest of the trip and we then left them to another family on our departure.
All the staff we encountered were very friendly and helpful and the grounds very well maintained. There is a small shop on site for essentials otherwise Publix is about 1/2 mile down the road. Parking was relatively easy unless you wanted covered parking which was obviously very popular.
The Alden is not luxurious but as mentioned earlier, perfect for a beach holiday. Compared to the Don Cesar Beach suites I think it is a better equipped and better value. It was clean and well maintained so we will return.

Room Tip: Choose Cayman or Lanai for beach front views.
2 Thank JuliaHLondon_UK
rgaryr, Owner at Alden Suites, responded to this review, 30 April 2012
Thanks for your comments, I sincerely appreciate the positive notes about our "price / value" as compared to other local St. Pete Beach hotels. We pride ourselves on top notch service, coupled with a vast array of recreational and other amenities.

Thanks again!

Gary Renfrow
President & part owner
NB, Canada
Reviewed 16 April 2012

Perfect Location...

We recently spent 10 days at the Alden and we were very pleased with our stay.

PROS: Stayed in a Cayman Suite – you pay a bit more but well worth it. Gulf front balcony was the perfect place to sit and enjoy a morning coffee or an evening drink. We were on the 5th floor and had an amazing view. This resort is located directly on the beach and is close to everything – restaurants, grocery stores, pharmacy, etc. Staff was very friendly and accommodating. The Beach Bar is a great spot to spend some time and meet folks from all over. Rooms were a bit dated but clean – housekeeping brings clean towels, etc, every day. Barbeque area very nice – we never had to wait to get a barbeque. Plenty of parking space. Laundry facilities on site.
CONS: No Free Wi-Fi. No ovens in rooms.

We will be back !

2 Thank NBTravellerNB_Canada
Toledo, OH
Reviewed 15 April 2012

This was our third trip to St. Pete Beach and our second stay at the Alden. The suites are nicely decorated and very convenient when staying a week. The beach is beautiful and the hotel is located very conveniently for restaurants within walking distance. The tennis courts and basketball court were all in very good shape. Parking is free here, but wifi internet is not. It costs $50 for a week or $29 for three days. Room cleaning ran late several days (after 5 PM) and our room wasn't ready at 4:00 as promised, although they did compensate with a $10 gift card which was quite nice. All in all, a great visit.

1 Thank Sylv_Trav
Madison, WI
Reviewed 11 April 2012

Stayed for 2 nights in this hotel in Apr 2012. I do not think I could stay a week here. This hotel needs some improvement as far up keep. We stayed in a Barbados suite. First of all I was told that this room had a balcony. It does...but all you can do is stand on it. No chairs. I made the mistake of not having this clairified when I booked my reservation. There is a difference between a balcony and a standing balcony. I booked this hotel because I wanted to sit in a chair and look at the gulf on a chair on a balcony. Not so much. The hotel staff offered to give me another room with a balcony on a higher floor with a balcony, but that room had a tiny balcony that only fit one chair. And that room was not going to be ready for quite some time. So I chose to keep the room that I could get into at 4. The desk told me they would call me when my room was available. At 4:15 I finally went to the desk and asked if my room was ready and they said it was. What happened to my phone call???

Rooms: The lighting is very poor. Only one lamp in the bedroom. I could hardly find anything in my suitcase. Black marks on the floor in the bathroom. Not sure what it was. Covered it up with a bathmat. The refridgerator door handles were black. Gross. A little soft scrub or magic eraser would take care of this :) The living area was fine, but only has a sofa sleeper and table with 4 kitchen chairs. No easy chair. This was not very comfortable for a family of 4 as 2 people had to sit on hard chairs in the evening. I would say room is average and needs a deep cleaning. I did not complain as I was only staying a couple days and figured we would just deal with it. Basically the only thing good about the room was the view.

Grounds: Could be very nice if they would have some more cleaning people. There was lots of cigarette butts laying around and towels in chairs left behind by guests that were not picked up. I will say that the beach is nice out in front of the property though.

In a nutshell, I would probabaly not stay at this property again. It was kind of pricey in my opinion for the condition it was in. Like I say... I did not complain about anything as I was just staying for a couple days...but could not imagine a week here.

Room Tip: If you want a balcony with chairs...make sure you get one because some are standing only.
Mississauga, Canada
Reviewed 7 April 2012

Check in is 4 pm and they make you wait til 4 pm. Our airline went bankrupt while we were there and we needed to stay an extra night. Lots of different stories about room availability until finally they found a room but it was more $$ per night. Finally agreed to knock some money off that price but we did have to switch rooms. Our new room was not available at 4 pm - in fact we had to wait until 5:30 pm so we paid over $200 for 12 hrs. Elevators were extremely slow., Front desk staff were not friendly. Encountered several people in the lobby complaining about one thing or another. The first vacation my sister and I have been on with our kids ever. Thank goodness we have fun no matter what!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Jennifer D
Springfield, Ohio
Reviewed 4 April 2012

This is an older beachfront hotel which has character and amenities for the perfect vacation! The beachfront rooms have very nice balconies, perfect for a morning coffee. We also really like the layout of the rooms--nice space, storage, privacy, and kitchen area.
The staff is very nice. They have been very helpful in leading us to excellent places to eat!
I can't forget the parking area too. There is usually room to park under the tennis courts. There aren't many places in that area which have a garage or carport for your car like they do at the Alden.

Room Tip: We have been there 2 consecutive years and hope to make it 3 sometime in 2013!
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family