“Great Vacation”
Review of Alden Suites

Alden Suites
Ranked #8 of 32 Hotels in St. Pete Beach
Reviewed 31 October 2013

Just stayed at the Alden Suites for 4 nights, we had a great experience. I was traveling with my wife and 4 year old daughter, we had a king suite by the pool at first I was a little dissappointed that we didn't book a room by the beach until we checked in and noticed that we were by the pool and only a few steps away from the beach. We were very happy with our room and my daughter liked having her own bed (pull out couch). The kitchen area was really conveinent and helped us save money by making our own food. For the price I could not have asked for more, the staff was very friendly and helpful with directions. The hotel was very clean and we are hoping to be able to afford another trip to the Alden next year. If we ever have the money to go back to Florida we will definetly be staying here again.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank star_spur
rgaryr, Owner at Alden Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 12 November 2013

Thanks for the nice review...

We do want all guests to have such positive experiences and our amenity package with kitchen facilities in the suites certainly helps maintain the "eating out every meal expense" that eats into a vacation budget (pun intended).

Thanks again and please come back (We love the Indiana folks!)

President & part owner

Write a ReviewReviews (1,740)

Reviewed 28 October 2013

Since I’ve been to St. Pete’s few years ago, I knew which stretch of beach I wanted to be along and Alden worked out great. The beach was close as well as the bus stop, so we did not even rent a car. There are two major supermarkets along the gulf blvd (about 4 bus stops till the closest one). Comfort wise it was laid back- family style with fully equipped kitchenette and dining area. We had a studio with king size bed and pull-out sofa and it was very spacious for two people. We did luck out, since ours was a corner unit and it had two windows (other units only had one). Also I was glad it wasn’t a ground floor, since the traffic along the major path around the pools would have been too noisy for me. The breezeway/balcony area was very wide (in the middle building), so it was a great outdoor area; we even got to watch a great fireworks display from it without running down to the beach. The fireworks display was a freebee from someone’s wedding from the next door resort! With the kitchen we cooked most of the time, but I tried Mad Fish restaurant and liked it a lot (see that review) The personnel was very friendly and helpful with all our requests (I even liked their uniforms much better than those of the resort next door – all that tropic print would drive me nuts) The Décor was beach themed without being overbearing and kitschy, exactly to provide the relaxing and informal atmosphere I prefer in a hotel. The bath was spacious with a window and a great showerhead. We never felt that we were running out of towels or other supplies (which happened in other beach hotels), that for me means luxury, so thank you Alden for that!!! The housekeeping was done everyday and the lady had adjusted to our schedule. I had checked the reviews before reserving this hotel, so these are my comments on some negative aspects. Per my companion the sofa bed was a challenge to be comfortable on, but she flipped her head to the edge (180 degrees) and it worked out for her. The bed is on a harder side, but I got used to it. What I couldn’t really get used to is the AC unit; it works even in off position. The irritating part was the cycling on/off – I would rather have a constant hum. The only solution I found is to leave the on function at night, since the AC turns on from a motion sensor (that way the AC still turned on through the night but not as often). Overall I feel that I got great value for the money with this stay.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank princess_on_the_road

We appreciate the kind remarks about the Alden and the time it takes to compose such a nice review...

Thanks again,

Reviewed 24 October 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for almost a week. Took a little vacation decided the Alden was my best value(based on room size with ammenities and dinette). I was so happy I found that place. Kitty the food and beverage director was so kind, Chris at the bar was chatty and told us where to go to eat and what to do around town. Nice pools, clean grounds and beach, covered parking, what more could I ask for......nothing. This place deserves to be recognized. Will be back for sure :)

• Stayed: October 2013

Thanks for recognizing us on Trip Advisor!

Reviewed 22 October 2013

We have been staying at the Alden for our annual Florida vacation for several years. After a scheduling mishap left us dissatisfied last year, I am happy to say that our stay at the Alden this year was on-point. Our room was a pleasant surprise. We stayed in a Grenada suite on the 6th floor. While the Grenada suites are a bit smaller than some of the other suites we have stayed in, it’s a perfect size for a couple. The balcony is also smaller; just enough room for two chairs, but the view of the gulf is spectacular. The nicest thing for us was the privacy factor. The room location (if you are on the 5th or 6th floor) is very quiet and more private than other rooms, as the room location is off to itself on the side of the building. Because of this, there is no outside walking traffic or noise. Grenada suites on the 1st through 4th floors connect to the other building, so they are definitely not as private.
The nicest thing about the Alden suites is that they are fully equipped. The kitchen is has everything you need including toaster, dishes, pots and pans, coffee maker, cups/glasses and a dishwasher. The location is great with shopping and restaurants very close by.
The service at the Alden this year was excellent. We were able to check in a little early and the process was very efficient. Housekeeping is also very good. Our room was usually done in the mid-afternoon, but that was not a problem for us as we are usually out all day. The new cabanas are a great addition, especially because the prices are discounted if you use them multiple days. The cabana staff were very friendly and helpful. Other new (and much appreciated) additions include the new hot tub and free Wi-Fi.
For us, the big attraction is St. Pete Beach, but the Alden Beach Resort provides comfortable, well-appointed suites for the price of a room. We enjoyed our stay and definitely plan to return again next year.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank beachmoon3605
rgaryr, Owner at Alden Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 24 October 2013

OMG! What a fantastic review!

I would like to hire this guest to work for us as a Marketing Consultant!

I won't reiterate all the glowing positive comments, but many of them are what we advertise year round...

We cannot buy such great advertising as this, word of mouth (especially on Trip Advisor) is the number one marketing tool any hotel can hope to have, and this one is what it's all about...

Thanks again, and I hope you come see us again next year when another $400,000 of impressive renovations will be completed for your enjoyment and comfort,

Reviewed 22 October 2013

It was one of the recommended hotels for the Rock and Roll Half Marathon in St. Pete. Although a little out of the way from the race itself, the beach front room and location was great! The rooms were clean and the service was good- when someone was onsite. Which leads to my only complaint about the hotel, there was one night where a party from the bar area had re-located to the pool around 2 a.m. and they were rather loud. One of the guests told them to quiet down and an argument ensued. Several attempts were made to contact the front desk regarding this and no one answered - and no one from the hotel ever came to break the party up. I brought this up to management the following morning and sincere apologies were given by management. The remaining nights of our stay things were very quiet and no issues at all.

Room Tip: Pay the extra money for the beachfront - the views and access are well worth it.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo

Thanks for the review...

We do have security at the hotel all night and someone at the Front Desk 24/7, so I am baffled that the noise at the pool at 2 AM was not immediately addressed by Security and the front desk staff, I will look into that ASAP.

Please be assured that this is an unusual situation, as we have one of the most family friendly hotels on St Pete Beach, with an excellent nighttime security staff.

Other than that, I sincerely appreciate the positive comments contained in this review.

Reviewed 21 October 2013

We recently had a last minute accommodation change on our recent trip to St Pete Beach. I had not done any research on the Alden, only passed by on previous trips. But after searching several hotels they were the only location with availability for our entire stay, and at a reasonable price. The hotel overall was great. Front desk staff was extremely friendly and helpful, we were especially excited because we got the last room! They had also called us promptly after checking out to alert us we left something behind. We stayed in the older part of the resort, one king bedroom only, not the suites. Room was everything we needed, bed, refrigerator/microwave, coffee maker, even some utensils and plates with dish soap. Bed was comfy. Pools looked clean and inviting, although we did not use them, spent most of our time on the beach. Parking was convenient. Location on beach was excellent. Beach staff renting cabanas also very friendly, i recommend renting one of the cabanas. Housekeeping needs work. Our first full day they had not arrived before 5pm, we had to call for more towels. That night we left for dinner and came back to find they had visited/cleaned the room, but did not shut the door completely and therefore had left our room unlocked. I called the front desk who apologized. We left the do not disturb sign on the door the next day, did not need the housekeeping and thought it was safer that way.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Thanks very much for taking time to compose a review...

When resort hotels are running 100% occupancy (as we were during this stay) Housekeeping does it's very best to service all suites before 4PM, but sometimes it is just physically impossible to do that. However, I do apologize for the door being left open, there is no excuse for that and I am please to know that nothing went missing and the staff apologized.

Other than that, thanks for the very complimentary review,

Reviewed 20 October 2013

We pay more than at other hotels with the same services and commodities and soon we find out that they cut my Internet access because an Illegal Activity ? It appears that Skype its not allowed on this site. Well that its poor enough for us as we needed to stay in touch with our relatives. The place was not of a good standard anyway and for less than that we've got better service somewhere else.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family

After doing some research on this review, I have an explanation for the "skype" issue with this guest: Our FREE WiFi system has limited bandwidth that will not allow for the massive amount of bandwidth needed for Skype, unless they customer elects to purchase an upgrade to the system. After checking with other hotels, we find that this is true at most hotels, including very "high end" hotels. It appears that this was the guest's only issue and we are sorry that most FREE wifi systems cannot handle that much bandwidth without paying for an upgrade.