“Okay for the price”

Ranked #12 of 32 Hotels in St. Pete Beach
Lutz, Florida, United States
“Okay for the price”
Reviewed 26 August 2014 via mobile

My wife and I stayed here for two nights as a mini vacation. On the plus side. The suite we had was a decent sized one bedroom unit. The hotel is on the beach. The pools were nice and the landscaping was well maintained. The downside. Noise. This was one of the noisiest places we've stayed. Between the thin walls (you can hear every word spoken by your neighbors), the people walking by the room, and the idiots yelling outside at night..it was noisy. The furnishings were ok. It needs to be remodeled but things were clean and functional. The one exception was the mattresses. They are old and saggy and really need to be replaced. Overall not bad for the price but not great either. Good for a short trip I would not want to stay here longer than a night or two.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank John R

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (498)
Allentown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 25 August 2014

We stayed 2 nights in Aug!. We are a family of 6 (4 kids) and the room fit us perfectly. We walked OUT ONTO THE BEACH!!! That is all my kids talk about!!!! They want so badly to go back!!! I will definitely recommend THIS hotel to friends and family!!!!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Jenny0753
rgaryr, Owner at Alden Suites, responded to this review, 25 September 2014
Get a SUITE for the price of a room!

Thanks very much, we know we are perfect for families trying to save money by not having to get 2 rooms when a big suite can handle the whole gang!

Thanks again,

Weeki Wachee, Florida
Reviewed 23 August 2014

Stayed at the Alden Suites for the second time with my wife 50th birthday.The resort is so relaxing great staff great accommodations. Beautiful beach I highly recommend this dog friendly resort that we love so much since the dog beach is less than five miles away at Fort de Soto this hotel is exactly as advertised.

• Stayed August 2014
1 Thank Keith S
rgaryr, Owner at Alden Suites, responded to this review, 24 August 2014
Thanks very much!

Yes, one of the finest dog beaches in the country is located at Ft. DeSoto Park, just a short drive from Alden Suites, and we offer 9 (first come first serve) dog friendly suites on the ground floor of the Courtyard Suites building...

Many happy returns!

Montreal
Reviewed 22 August 2014

For the 3rd year in a row my wife and I and another couple stayed at the Alden Beach resort for our anual Tampa Bay Ray's trip.
We drove up from Port Charlotte and arrived before check in. We were planning on going to the beach anyway so I went to tell the desk clerk that we had arrived and would be on the beach. He checked us in and gave me a key to get us into the parking lot. He also called housekeeping to let them know we were on the property. He told me that he would call when the room was ready. A few minutes later while the girls were changing for the beach the front desk called to tell us that our room was ready. Great service!
Delux Gulf front suite was as nice as usual. Very clean and had everything we needed.
Lynda at the beach bar was great and Pittsburg Pete the beach chair guy was a laugh.
All of the employees of the Alden are very nice.
Looking forward to our next visit to the Alden in September. Love the Alden.

Room Tip: Delux Gulf front is the best.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank daveb7
rgaryr, Owner at Alden Suites, responded to this review, 25 September 2014
Very Nice!

Thanks so much from another die hard Rays fan like me...

The Alden is a great way to spend a baseball weekend!

Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 21 August 2014

We stayed at the Alden Suites last week. We had initially booked a room poolside; however, upon arrival, we learned that those rooms had not been renovated and we decided to upgrade to the Gulfside suites. The room was small but pleasant with an efficiency kitchenette. King bed was comfortable and bathroom was clean and decent sized. Not a luxury suite, but for our needs, it was fine. The beach was wonderful, clean and the water clear! That was the most important thing. We would return again, but the Gulf-facing suites are the way to go.

Room Tip: Gulf facing only...worth the upgrade If not, the older apartments are depressing...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Jacqueline F
rgaryr, Owner at Alden Suites, responded to this review, 24 August 2014
Appreciate the nice comments....However, just as a matter of fact, the Courtyard suites were fully renovated in 2010 and the poolside suites were fully renovated in 2007, with a soft renovation in 2011, but will be further renovated this fall, starting immediately after Labor Day...all new kitchens and bathrooms. Please see #618 as our sample renovation of the poolside suites

At Your Service,

Florida
Reviewed 17 August 2014

My family of 4 adults stayed here recently for 4 days. I would say it is a bit small for 4 adults with one bathroom. One room has the bedroom connected by the kitchenette to the living area and then the balcony. Stay oceanfront because the view is awesome. I don;t see how the beach view rooms had much of a view at all and they were directly above the pools. We really enjoyed the balcony. The grounds are lovely with 2 pools and a hot tub. We enjoyed the corn toss game and the ping pong. There are many tables and chairs on the green lawn before you reach the sand. There is a tiki bar but it didn't seem to be noisy and our room was very close to it. There are chairs and umbrellas set up on the beach available for rent. One nice thing was that most of the parking was in the shade under the tennis court.

Room Tip: Choose an oceanfront room not the oceanview rooms. The higher floors would have the best ocean view...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank SIMFlorida
rgaryr, Owner at Alden Suites, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
The Gulf Front suites really do have the best view of all with full size balconies on all but six suites (so 56 total directly on thy beach)

Thanks for the nice review,

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 14 August 2014

I stayed at Alden for a business trip for three consecutive weekdays. I knew before I arrived that I would have to tolerate the grimy-ness of beach front "resorts" but even with that expectation I found this place to be pretty filthy.

The rooms seem to be converted 1970's motel-style suites with outdoor entry access. My room was filled with plastic-covered furniture that looked too dingy for me to sit on. The kitchen was housed with old beige colored electric appliances and a fridge that pulled 2-feet away from the wall every time I tried to open it. The beds in my room were a total joke. I sank (literally) 15 inches into my mattress which could no longer qualify as a mattress. Due to the climate of Florida, I had to leave the noisy and dusty window AC unit running at all times to avoid turning my room into a steam sauna. But I was congested the entire time due to the window AC unit.

The entire hotel was noisy. There are tennis courts with massive ballpark lights glaring right into the rooms facing the courts. Kids and their parents would run around out there screaming and hollering until 1:00AM every night/morning.

The parking was ample, but awkward to get in and out. I didn't bother using the elevators after my first voyage because they stunk of urine so badly. Instead, I used the stairs along the side of the hall which were also littered with urine, trash and piles of construction debris. I kept expecting a possum or raccoon to jump out at me every time I walked by. Ugghh...

The WiFi was sufficient, however, every single outlet in my room was so loose that my plugs were all falling out of the wall. I was unwilling to risk my valuable electronics on shotty wiring so I tried to charge everything in my car whenever possible.

Given a choice, I would not stay here again. I would try to book an indoor room at Tradewinds (two hotels down) which are basically the same price.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank ChemKitty88
rgaryr, Owner at Alden Suites, responded to this review, 16 August 2014
Wow, sorry to read this review...

This guest had preconceived notions that beachfront resort hotels are a "grimy mess" so let's just start with that comment. It sounds like an unhappy guest before she even checked in.

Typically, beachfront resort hotels in the summer are packed with families, many with their kids on summer vacation, so it seems odd to me to plan a business trip to a beachfront "tourist" hotel in the middle of summer, but to each his own I guess.

This guest was in one of our "entry level" Courtyard Junior Suites, which were totally, and I mean TOTALLY renovated, back to the walls in 2010, so if 2010 furniture, fixtures, and equipment is "dated" than so be it.

The suites are cleaned thoroughly every day and inspected twice before a check in, so if this suite appeared dirty to this guest, I am sorry.

These suites are the lowest priced units in the 143 unit hotel and they are the only 18 units that have the "through the wall" AC units, and if this one was bit loud, the guest should have called to have maintenance check it out, but she did not report it, so how can we fix stuff when we don't know about until after check out?

Our furniture is NOT COVERED IN PLASTIC, as this guest claims.

If I am sounding defensive, I have a reason to be, since we rarely see this type of exaggerated Trip Advisor review...

The beds in this building are four years old and and in excellent condition, so the bedding comment is beyond my explanation, but if it was too soft for this guest, she could have requested a plywood sheet for someone who apparently likes a very firm bed, but again, no request to switch to another suite or ask for bedding accessories while she was here.

The elevators are inspected and cleaned twice daily, but if there was a foul odor, it was most lilkley taken care of within minutes, or hours at most. Again, we did not hear a word from this guest about the elevator or stairwell odors, nor were there any other complaints from other guests during the same time frame, so I am at a loss once more!

Please take this type of harsh review with a grain of salt...some guests are extremely hard to satisfy, and this is a prefect case in point.

Thanks for allowing me to vent over exaggerated claims,