Dolphin Beach Resort
Ranked #21 of 32 Hotels in St. Pete Beach
Reviewed 12 June 2011

Don't believe the images on their website, they are very misleading. This is an old hotel, like most in St. Pete beach. The furniture in the rooms are outdated and and smell musty. The A/C unit will keep you up throughout the night. They also have no poolside services available, no servers bringing drinks, you need to bring your own towel to the pool and there is nothing stopping outsiders from just walking in from the beach and using the pool and other amenities. When I complained to the manager about this, along with the fact that they claim to be a "Resort", but have no services available, the manager, flat out told me that "Maybe you should stay at another hotel". So we did. we checked out and stayed at a real Resort for less money. So much for the customer always being right! The manger could not have cared less that I was complaining. She made no effort to try to meet my needs. I wasn't looking for much. All the manager had to do was make some effort to keep outsiders from using the pool and I would been O.K. with that, but instead, she gave me an ultimatum which sealed the deal for me. I was appalled by the last of customer service. And another thing, there is no security what so ever. There are no locks on the side doors of the facility, so at night, anyone off the streets could be wandering the hallways. DO NOT STAY HERE.!!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Gorgs15
Write a ReviewReviews (1,019)

Reviewed 4 June 2011

Absolutely loved this hotel. It is literally ON the beach. The beach property right in front of the hotel was very clean and nicely kept. The pool was clean, clear, and refreshing. Rooms were comfortable, with a fridge - which was great for snacks! So easy to walk in from the beach right to your room. Convenient stores located right across the street for anything you need. Really cute tiki bar next to the pool, however drinks are expensive, so I suggest buying your own alcohol from the Publix across the street and bringing it out with you -- although stop by the bar at least once - the bartender is a hoot! Front desk staff was very nice, they let us check in 2 hours early with no fee. Full restaurant in the hotel itself. I LOVE this place!!

Room Tip: If you book online, call to specify a room view
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank suster829
Reviewed 27 May 2011

This was my third holiday at St Petes Beach and the second time staying at the Dolphin.
We love USA and have been many times always telling friends and family how switched on the americans are with regard to customer service and looking after you.
The location and Gulf View room is what took us back to the Dolphin again.

I had paid my holiday agent for the room upgrade but when I checked in I was told that I could not have a Gulf View room as it had not been booked. I showed the check in clerk my invoice and she apologised but said that there were no Gulf view rooms available that night but to talk with reception manager next morning and it would be sorted out.
Reluctantly my wife and I had to take a room overlooking the car park.

Next morning I went to reception to change my room but was again told that a Gulf view room had not been booked and could not move.
I asked for the reception manager and was again told the same.
When I showed the reception manager my invoice, they checked and again said that Gulf view room was not booked. I got then to contact my holiday agent in Florida, I had to talk with the agent myself to sort it out. I asked my agent to discuss the issue with the reception manager which they did. The agent apologised to me and said that it will be sorted straight away. I then asked if I could have the key for the Gulf view room, which I had paid for, but was told that until they received a fax, I could not have the keys.
I explained that the fax would be through very soon and that the hotel would be paid by the agent for the Gulf view room. I was told by the reception manager that the only way I could have the keys before the fax arrived was to pay the upgrade again on my credit card, around $750.
I could not believe what I was being told!
There was absolutely no customer service skill being shown by the reception manager.
All of this farce took approximately 1 hour.
Eventually a reception clerk found me by the pool with my wife and gave me the Gulf view keys.
There was no offer to help me and my wife to move our belongings from 2nd to 3rd floor.
I am over 60 and my wife has health problems.
I could give chapter and verse about other issues but it would serve no purpose.

Basically the Dolphin has exceptional location with beach front Gulf view rooms directly on the beach. The rooms are quite large and perfectly adequate. The pool area is very comfortable with the exception of the outside eating area seating which should be changed.
Customer service was non-existant!!
I shall be taking my whole family to Florida next year, all 15 of us, but we will definately not return to this hotel.
Shame!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: There are 3 levels of room, Gulf view is best.
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank solarman33
Reviewed 22 May 2011

We stayed at the Dolphin Beach Resort because my dad was staying there. His job paid for all of the employee's rooms, and my husband, 5-year-old daughter and i wanted to spend a beach weekend with my mom, dad and brother. we were able to get 3 rooms all next to each other; one for mom and dad, one for my brother, and one for my husband, daughter and me. I read reviews about this place and I was a little worried. It seemed that if we came prepared to not really need anything from the staff, we'd have a great time. I was right!

Our room viewed the parking lot and street, which a lot of other reviews complained about. We didn't spend a whole lot of time looking out the window (or even hanging out in the room, for that matter), so this wasn't a problem. If I were to stay here again, I would have no problem saving a little money and getting the same view. The room itself was a great size. Plenty of room!

The pool bar was really small but really really nice. Drinks weren't expensive at all, and the bartender was great, although their liquor selection could use more options (I am a bartender myself and very picky about what i drink, but they had the basics). The bar at the lounge (off the lobby) wasn't as great, same limited liquor brands to choose from, and the lounge bartender seemed to be too busy. There had been a wedding earlier in the day, and the wedding party was in the lounge doing karaoke (HILARIOUS!!). It seemed like only one bartender was on, whereas they really needed two bartenders.

The next day, there had been another wedding, and that wedding party pretty much took over the restaurant (which is attached to the lounge). Again, they just seemed short staffed. Our server was efficient enough, and tried to hurry our order (we told her we were trying to get out in time to watch the sun set and we made it!), but she seemed really busy, like the bartender the night before. most of my family liked their food, I wasn't crazy about what i chose. My mom and brother LOVED the burgers, though!

Sunsets at this place are absolutely gorgeous. Wedding ceremonies were beautiful (we saw three!). A perfect place to tie the knot!

My husband and I are used to sleeping in a queen sized bed. Our room had two doubles (its my understanding that almost all the rooms are 2 double beds), and the first night it was a little awkward. This is no reflection on the hotel, my husband is just a bit of a bed hog. The beds themselves were very comfortable. One thing I did find annoying was the fact that each bed only had two pillows...which means to sleep 4 people, everyone only got 1 pillow. I was able to borrow a pillow from my brother's room, since I didn't want to bother with the staff that i had read such horrible things about.

People in these reviews were saying the pool is small. I thought it was perfect. Plenty of lounge chairs, tons of people in the pool with plenty of room for everyone to swim and chill. There were tons of other little girls for my daughter to swim and play with. The beach is so perfectly located, we just went back and forth between the pool and beach, and i noticed other families doing the same.

People say the hotel needs a face lift....i don't know what they mean. Things seemed updated....granite counters, pretty light fixtures in the halls, i didn't notice anything that looked "ratty" or "old". The mini-fridge and microwave were 100% utilized and a blessing!!! For a hotel built in the early 70s (I believe), this place is gorgeous!

We parked our car when we got there on Friday...we didn't move the car the whole weekend! There is a crosswalk almost right in front of the hotel, and a grocery store, drug store, dollar store (cheap pool toys), pizza place (really good), diner (called village inn, breakfast all day!!), surf shop, candy store, liquor store, Chick-fil-A, bank, and whatever essential place i am forgetting, its all RIGHT across the street. it was perfect, since we were a little scared to lose our parking spot.

We didn't want any cleaning services, so we hung our "do not disturb" card on our doorknob. one of the cleaning ladies saw me come out of my room and she just double-checked that i did not want them to clean the room. I thought that was nice. She really was the only staff member (other than servers and bartenders) that i came in contact with, and she seemed very pleasant. i didn't deal with anyone at the front desk because my dad checked us in before we got there. He didn't mention any problem upon check-in.

The hotel has free parking, with one spot per room. We were going to have friends meet us there for the day, as there is a public parking lot RIGHT NEXT DOOR to the hotel with metered parking. We had planned on our friends just parking there, which would have been perfect, but they ended up not coming.

If i ever stay here again (and there is a decent chance i will), i will follow these guidelines:

Bring my own shampoo and conditioner (hotel provided one small bottle of a two-in-one)
Bring my own towels for pool and beach
Bring a couple of extra pillows
Use the pool bar, but I will skip the lounge bar and restaurant
"Grocery shop" when i get there across the street
Save a little money and skip the view.

I would recommend this hotel otherwise!!!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
7  Thank missjenna522
Reviewed 18 May 2011

The Dolphin Beach Resort is hands-down a no frills hotel. I have stayed in a Red Roof Inn that was better than this place. The decorum is old and outdated, the room was not comfortable or inviting, and the bathroom reminded me of a public restroom. Even considering the government discount we received, most nights were overpriced. This hotel should not charge more than $50-$60 for any night.

The Dolphin Beach Resort overall did not smell pleasant, the linens and furniture were old, and it seems as if its hey-day was some 50+ years ago.

The best features of this hotel were the pool and quick/convenient access to the beach.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank NorthernStar11
Reviewed 16 May 2011

This hotel is well located in the centre of St Petes beach. The rooms are extremely well equipped and kept very clean.

The hotel is directly on the beach , which at sunset provides the most beautiful views with the added attraction of seeing Dolphins later in the evening. The pool may be a bit small for the hotel, but is heated and again well maintained.

Looking at previous reviews there were complaints about staff, we never experienced this finding them all polite and friendly.

Overall we had a great stay, hotel is very good value for money,

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mandar01
Reviewed 11 May 2011

We stayed here for 2 nights, as we worked our way up the west coast of Florida. We wanted to treat ourselves, so booked a beach front room. So glad we did as the beach and sea views are superb, but that's about it at this hotel.

Our initial reaction on arriving in the car park, was that the hotel looked faded and needed an overhaul and that impression remained during our stay. The room was of medium size (we have stayed in much larger ones in motels) but it had everything that was required. Useful fridge and microwave. But it was all just faded. The ceiling still had polystyrene tiles!! These were fashionable 30 years ago. The room was clean and the bed comfortable, but just old fashioned and dull. We loved the balcony and the great sunsets, and waking up looking directly onto the beach and sea was great.

We found the pool area to be similarly faded. The tiles looked old and the sun loungers needed replacing. The beach bar is nice, with friendly staff, but the plastic seats and tables look terrible. Just so cheap. A real pity, as we looked forward to a sun downer drink each evening, ( we went to a bar along the beach instead). They could do so much more with this bar if they just tidied it up. We had a burger at the beach bar on our arrival. The food was nice and good value and the location excellent, but we hurried our food to get away from the awful cheap seating area.

The beach is lovely, but you have to pay an independent company for the use of sun loungers and shades. We paid $15 per day for very, very old wooden loungers with equally old and stained padding.

We did not use the main restaurant for breakfast or dinner. We never saw a single person eating in the restaurant during our stay - it looked very sad. Lots of places to eat along the beach in both directions and a Publix supermarket directly across the road for supplies.

The staff were polite, efficient and helpful at all times.

We could have stayed longer, as there was availability, but we decided to move on. Such a shame. In the right hands with some TLC, this could be a a great hotel, but in its present condition it is not good value for the high prices they charged us for the beachfront rooms.

But sititng on the balcony watching the sun go down, with a cigar in one hand and a gin and tonic in the other - aah we loved the location!!

St Pete's beach is a nice place. Busier near Pier 60, but quieter as you go south. Lots of places to stay and eat. The beach is superb for miles. If you can get a good deal then stay here by all means, but we thought it was very expensive for a run down hotel.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple