“Great location and great beach”

Dolphin Beach Resort
Ranked #21 of 32 Hotels in St. Pete Beach
Reviewed 18 June 2014

I admit I was nervous about this place because I had never been there before. Reviews were mixed, but because they had a beach front room available, I booked it. Beach front is literally beach front - 3 steps through the sliding doors of your patio and you are on the sand! The property is older and may not meet the expectations of those insistent on Ritz quality, but having been at those places too, I have to say this it was a good experience. Staff was friendly, restaurant was better than I thought and YES, they do have room service. I used it a few times and found the delivery time was quick and the food surprisingly good and affordable. Great pool too. Would not have minded a pool view room seeing how they are situated. Anything you need is across the street from the hotel - grocery store, drug store, liquor store, barber…..you name it. Very good location. I was very happy with my decision and would return.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank MikeToddW
There are newer reviews for Dolphin Beach Resort

Reviewed 17 June 2014

My husband's family and now our own has stayed at Dolphin Beach in St. Pete for many, many years. While the hotel itself has declined over the years the management is doing their best to spruce it up without having to do renovations that would make them have to drastically change the building. That being said, if you are looking for the best hotel directly on the beach THIS is where you want to stay! They have rooms with patio sliders that you can just open up and step onto the beach. There is nothing else like sitting on that patio with your toes in the sand, listening to the ocean, and either catching some sun or gazing up at the stars.
We like to walk along the beach looking for seashells and then cool off by going back to swim in the pool. The rooms all have mini-fridges, microwaves, and coffee makers so you can either enjoy lunch in your room or dine at their restaurant or beachside bar. Publix is directly across the street, as is a fabulous Italian restaurant with the best cheese calzones I've ever had. Do NOT think you're going to be staying at a five-star resort here, but be ready to be AMAZED by the view and beach, there's nothing like it!

Room Tip: Ask for a beachfront (ground level) view if you want the best, otherwise the poolside rooms allow fo...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Doris T
Reviewed 15 June 2014

I traveled here with my daughter who had a volleyball tournament in Orlando. We decided to fly into Tampa since the tickets were almost $150 per person cheaper. I did some looking at the dates and it would be even cheaper if we flew earlier than anticipated. i figured I would use those savings for a little beach R and R. I came across the Dolphin's on a search and was a bit skeptical looking at the reviews, but figured I give it a shot as the price was right. (We got a non gulf view room, 20 steps outside my door and I was on the beach, I didn't see the point for the money.) We checked in and went to the room, but the door would not open, not a big deal. They recreated the cards and all was well. The front desk clerk was very apologetic. I've read some reveiws wher they said house keeping is not every day, not do they vacuum. Not true at all in my case. This hotel is older, but it is by no means run down or dirty. Could it use some sprucing up? Sure, but for what I paid to be right on the beach, I have zero complaints. If you're looking for 5 star, this isn't your place. If you're looking for a family beach vacation that won't break the bank, this is the place.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank ds1820
Reviewed 9 June 2014

OK so this is NOT a resort. There is no room service there is no pool side service this is a Motel 6 with high end pricing. This is in no shape or form a high end hotel and you can tell by the clientele. I think the front desk attendant was drunk when we checked in because he reaked of boos. For what you pay here ($238/night) this is by no means worth it. For an extra $100 you can stay at the Sandpearl Resort (a real resort with umbrella drinks, a spa and 5 star service and amenitites.) This place is a joke. The halls stink, the rooms are dated and overall ambience is terrible. This is a $100/night hotel at best. They charge $20 for parking (each room only gets 1 parking space). The rooms are ok clean but not clean clean. Put it this way, I didn't sit on the toilet and my finace wouldn't shower until we got home. The only positive about this MOTEL is the location and the fact that thier 1st floor units walk out to the beach. Otherwise save your money, eat out one less meal one week and splurge for something like the Sandpearl on Clearwater beach. If you stay here you will be disappointed.

Room Tip: find another room at a different hotel!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank Lshep82
DolphinBeachResort, Owner at Dolphin Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2014

While it saddens me we did not meet your expectations, I can't help but think your expectations should have been tempered some. We are a 3 star resort; it is unfair to compare us to a world class 4 star hotel/spa, as that is in no way our CompSet. A quick check of rates today(7/7)shows the Sandpearl's rates(269) as being more than double ours(119). We do however have room service, sadly no pool service(the don cesar is the only place on SPB that does) As for your parking complaints, we are actually the only major hotel on the beach that does not charge for parking or a resort fee, we do charge for additional parking. While it's upsetting we couldn't meet your needs, it seems as if this is a case of ordering a double cheeseburger and expecting a filet.

Reviewed 8 June 2014

Two friends and I stayed in an ocean front on the second floor for two days over Memorial day weekend. Usually when the reviews are 50/50 great to horrible, its usually bad. I was surprised to find the rooms were clean and in good shape. No mold or cigarette burns on the furniture. The pool and common areas were also well maintained and cleaned.

The Gulf is only 100 yards from the pool. There is a strip mall across the street with a Publix, liquor store , CVS, Dollar Tree and a couple of restaurants that was very convenient.

The food at the restaurant was very good. Service at the poolside area for lunch was good. The first night we arrived at the restaurant at 8:00. It closes at 9:00. Although there was only 1 larger table with 7 people and 5 or 6 tables with 2 to 4 people in the restaurant, we were told it would be 20 minutes before we would be waited on unless we sat at the bar. Thinking that we would order drinks and have those while we wait, we decided to sit at a table. After 5 minutes or so, and with no one even recognizing that we were there, we left and went to the front desk to complain. As many reviews had stated,they did not seem interested in helping at all.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank SKYDIVE9
Reviewed 6 June 2014

we stayed here for a weekend trip with family, the place was dirty, The staff was rude and did not want to help with anything, everything was a big bother to them. The woman bartender was the rudest of all she basically ignored us and went on to serve other people around us, they probably were regulars. The management of this establishment should really check on the staff, when you work in the hospitality field you need to be hospitable. If you don't like your job quit..don't take it out on paying customers.... The best part of this place was the location and the beach..

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank kiwi418Florida
Reviewed 4 June 2014

Stayed for a week during a military reunion. This hotel is a little older and smaller than those around it, but the stay was very comfortable, the staff could not have ben more helpful and attentive. They really bent over backwards for us to make it a memorable vacation. The hotel and grounds were well maintained and very clean. Great beach faces the Gulf. The catered, buffet style, banquet was outstanding. The business meeting and hospitality rooms were outstanding.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends