“Don't stay at the Dolphin Beach Resort”

Dolphin Beach Resort
Ranked #21 of 32 Hotels in St. Pete Beach
Wilton, Connecticut
Reviewed 8 July 2005

My wife and our 3 small children were staying at the Dolphin Beach Resort for 2 nights for a family reunion. I had made the reservation 8 previous to our stay and had guaranteed two beach front rooms with a credit card. I had requested connecting rooms. When we arrived at the hotel, we were told there were no available connecting rooms. When I complained, the response I got was "what part of 'there is nothing we can do' don't you understand?" When we looked at our two non-connecting rooms, we realized both rooms had connecting doors to other rooms. But the hotel staff had given these rooms to guests who did not need connecting rooms. So the hotel staff had not even attempted to keep connecting rooms available for guests who had requested them. When I asked the hotel staff (Billy, the night supervisor) if they would ask the guests in one of the other rooms to change with us and I would compensate the other guests for their trouble, I was greeted with an abrupt "no". When I indicated that I would ask the other guests myself, I was told that if I knocked on any guest's doors and made this request to change rooms that Billy would call the sheriff and have me removed from the hotel. I ended up asking a very nice couple in one of the rooms that connected to one of our rooms and they happily agreed to change rooms with us. Bottom line, the staff in this hotel do not care about the guests at all and have no customer service skills. Do yourself a favor and stay somewhere else. Maybe if this terrible customer service attitude starts hitting the hotel in the wallet then they will change their attitude (and staff)

4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Write a ReviewReviews (1,032)

Reviewed 5 July 2005

Having read recent reports about the Dolphin Beach, I was very worried about spending two week there, but my worries were totally unfounded. I stayed with my parents, husband and two children and we all had a brilliant time. The hotel rooms were clean and larger than average and bedding and towels changed every day. We saw NO cockroaches or rats. The staff were friendly and helpful. The pool area was spotless and the pool cleaned every day.
The location of the hotel was excellent. Right on the beach. There was a shopping mall opposite and a few restaurant/diners very near.
Don't believe the hype about Crabby Bills, terrible service with an attitude to match. The Silas Steakhouse was also bad having waited 1 1/2 hours for our main meals.

The only downside of Dolphin Beach was the carpet in the hallways, a bit smelly and had seen better days, but I think that was being replaced and who sits in the hallway anyway!

Would definately return to St Petes and to Dolphin Beach. Fantastic!!

8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 13 June 2005

Yeah I did. And the day we arrived it was raining and nasty. When we woke up we got sun burn. It turned out to be a good weekend. The resort was clean although the hallways were showing heavy wear. It has been remodeled. Pool area was nice but could have used more work as in keep up work. It is a 3 Star Resort.

3  Thank digit90
Huntsville, Alabama
Reviewed 3 June 2005

Stayed there for business. Smelly, old, dated, nasty place. I moved out to the Holiday Inn as soon as I could get out of there. Roach-infested, mildew-smelling dump. If you stay there, you can't say I didn't warn you!

• Stayed: April 2005, travelled on business
4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 2 June 2005

Having just returned from The Dolphin Beach resort St Petes Beach, Florida i`d like to take this opoportunity to thank the other Tripadvisor users who gave advice when i asked for assistance as to recommended restaurants in the area as it was my wifes birthday whilst on vacation, although i was given several choices i opted for Spinners, the revolving restaurant on the Beach, all I can say is that the service was great the views outstanding and best of all the food was fantastic!! now down to the nitty gritty our hotel was well sited near to shops, restaurants etc, as stated by other members the carpets in the hallways could do with a good clean/renew, the rooms themselves were larger than average and well equipped on one morning at the end of our vacation my wife discovered a 2" cockroach hiding under her shoes in our room, not nice but the staff at the hotel were more than helpful within notification the offender was removed within One minute !!, I feel I neeed to inform would be customers that the staff at the hotel were fabulous, nothing was too much trouble and the service second to none. Value for money was first class and I would certainly recommend this hotel,
On the first evening of our arrival we went for dinner at Bennigans placed seemed ok until the end of the evening another roach attached itself to my arm whilst i was at the table for dinner we left and did not return.In summing up we had a fabulous holiday despite these trivial incidents and would certainly return.

3  Thank GARY7626
France
Reviewed 12 May 2005

I was a little apprehensive after reading the reviews; however we had 10 great days here. The beach is excellent as is the pool. The hotel is conveniently located near a number of shops and good restaurants. We actually found the staff quite friendly, but we didn't have to make a complaint while we were there. With 2 small children we didn't spend a lot of time in the rooms, but when we were there they were comfortable enough. For the price we paid we were pleasantly surprised!!!

• Stayed: May 2005
5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Atlanta
Reviewed 5 May 2005

Decent place to stay on the beach. Nice size rooms and great pool. For the money we were pleased. Need some updating and more overall staff but, was fine since we only spent about 7 hours in the room since we were sightseeing, and having fun the rest of the time.

• Stayed: April 2005