“Go for the beach, not the motel”

Dolphin Beach Resort
Ranked #21 of 32 Hotels in St. Pete Beach
slidell, la
“Go for the beach, not the motel”
Reviewed 17 July 2010

This was a quick overnight stay at St. Petersburg Beach. We arrived in the late afternoon. The king bed available was a beachfront with a balcony. The check in staff was efficient, but not overly friendly. We were given a coupon for breakfast, 30% off. Whoopie! Kinda nickle and dimed, but its the beach. The room was average. The sun was scorching on the balcony. The a/c could not cool the room. We kept the curtains closed as requested by a note on the slider. It was well after midnight when the room finally cooled enough to sleep. Don't bother paying extra for a beachfront balcony room. There is a beach bar with reasonable prices. Above the bar is a nice deck with lounge chairs. We enjoyed sitting here with drinks at night. We did not eat in the restaurant but did try to get served at the bar - no bartender. The pool was nice. Music was pretty loud, but that was okay. This could be a problem with a pool facing room. Volleyball nets on the beach seemed popular. For the money, shop around. It all depends on whether you want to be right on the beach or have access to the beach.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank gabbygigi

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (265)
  • Polish first
UK
Reviewed 25 June 2010

We stayed here for 5 nights on Archers Tour this hotel is in need of modernisation, the staff on the front desk are unfriendly and unhelpful, the restaurant we went on 1st morning for breakfast and waited over an hour to be served a cold cup coffee we chased waitress twice, and when breakfast arrived it was raw onion and potato cold sausage raw egg, we refused to pay and so did many other guests, the waitress then admitted she had cooked it, and that she wasnt a chef!! needless to say over the road you have a Publix great store, or the Village Inn does buffet breakfast for about $6
Turned bath on and pipe came out the wall by 6 inches, only saving grace is the location, fantastic beach and sea is glorious and warm.

• Stayed June 2010
1 Thank SuzyQ2009

Travellers are raving about these St. Pete Beach hotels

albuquerque
Reviewed 22 June 2010

Dolphin Beach Resort worked out very well for us; the best thing is the location – right on the beach (153 steps to the water I counted!). As well as across the Gulf Blvd there is a shopping center with supermarket, CVS (pharmacy), $ store and several restaurants & shops. Thus we did not rent the car for the full stay, just for couple days to go to Tampa and Busch gardens. The bus stop is at the entrance as well (PSTA.net for bus info). The resort is like a giant “V”; the rooms look out either sea view or pool/sea view or a side/parking view. We stayed in the north wing in both types (pool/sea view room and a side view). The management has been doing updates to the bathrooms, so we’ve seen the difference: new faucet/sink combo and counter as well as lighting and mirror. In general spacious rooms with microwave, fridge and coffeemaker, some have a balcony as well. (warning the fridge is not cold enough to keep ice cream in it!) The beds were comfortable (pillows – not, but we brought ours); there two closets, two sets of drawers and a table with chairs – pretty standard) The biggest difference in our experience between the poolside and the parking view side was the air conditioner (the poolside had a better/ more modern unit than the cheaper rooms) Also some of the pool rooms have a flat screen TV rather than an oldie. The elevator broke down twice (however there are two elevators per wing). There is a restaurant downstairs with decent burger but the veggies for ribs weren’t fresh.
My recommendation on restaurants are THE WESTERN at John’s pass and THE GARDEN in downtown St. Petersburg (on Central Ave. between 2nd and 3d)

East Peoria, Illinois
Reviewed 16 June 2010

We just got back from a week at the Dolphin. My mother went with us and she is handicapped. We were booked right on the beach (patio area with 4 quick steps to the best sand in the world) and we had no trouble with her accessibility (except for the bathroom). Our kids, ages 9 and 13 had a great time in the pool area and the beautiful beach; they made a lot of new friends! It is an older hotel but very clean and comfortable; we never heard any of our neighbors. The staff were also very friendly and helpful. When it was time to check out and come home, we did not want to leave. In fact, we tried to extend our stay and the staff at the Dolphin were more than helpful to serve / accomodate us, but our airline was not as willing. Next time we are planning to stay for 10 days and with a larger group of family members. We looked around at other hotels along that part of the beach and we all agreed that we chose the best place for our vacation.

Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 12 June 2010

I made a reservation at the Dolphin Beach Resort three months in advance. I get there. Front desk said the card I used online was declined, so they cancelled my reservation. Now there were no standard rooms available. Instead of giving me an available room at the rate I reserved mine at, they wanted me to pay the room's full price, which was $40 more for Thursday night and $70 more for Friday, which was $110 total more than what I reserved my room for. No one contacted me before this to say it was declined. The front desk manager (Victoria) was not in at the time, and the only way I was able to get the person behind the desk (Colleen) to call her was when I raised my voice. Victoria (who was on her cell phone)asked if I can just get the higher priced room for that night, then she'll talk to me in the morning. Since we were out of a room and I didn't want to drive up and down the boulevard looking for another room, I agreed. I talked to her the next morning, and she would not budge in her customer service skills, except she'll charge us less for the one weekend day we were there and give us 10% off, which is still more than the price I reserved the room for.
Most decent facilites would have gladly let me have another room at the price they reserved the room for since THEY messed up. And at the very least, they would have contacted me beforehand to notify me that my card was declined. I should've have had to raise my voice to get some attention from the front desk either. I will NOT go there again.

1 Thank Cheryluv
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 June 2010

The staff on the front desk were very unfriendly apart from two very helpful people. The hotel is situated in a great position for the beach an pool. As the restaurant staff were also not very friendly we found it easier to eat out, as there were a few good eating places close by. The hotel was comfortable and clean, just a shame about some of the staff.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with friends
New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed 3 June 2010

Room was ok, a/c ok. Best part of this place was the beach and the pool. No queen or king beds except in Gulf front highest priced rooms.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple