The Don CeSar
Alden Suites(St. Pete Beach)
US$304
Alden Suites
US$162
Plaza Beach Hotel - Beachfront Resort(St. Pete Beach)
US$196
Hotels.com
Inn on the Beach(St. Pete Beach)
US$277
St Pete Beach Suites(St. Pete Beach)
US$180
Kimpton Hotel Zamora(St. Pete Beach)
US$463
US$349
Hotels.com
US$254
TripAdvisor
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Pool
4,089 results
All reviewsdon cesarmaritana grillehistoric hotelcaptain jamiepink palacesea porch restaurantsea perchspa oceanalobby barpool staffself parkresort feerooms are smallpaddle boardingjet skian umbrellabeach service
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 28 June 2011

Recently had a wonderful long weekend trip to St Pete Beach with my daughter as a graduation trip with just us - mother/daughter trip! Stayed at Don Cesar Beach Resort location great! Nice beach area for guest no extra charge for chairs or umbrella. Rentals avialable at beach for water sports. We intended to do the spa, but extremely expensive and I'm not a buget shopper so it was high even for me. One night we stayed in and they had an outdoor movie by the pool, Gnomeo and Juliet. Tip for dinner, we ordered pizza delivered to poolside from Bruno's and it was quick, and tasty! Other restaurants we enjoyed first night, Skidders (Greek food). Good salads, but thier pizzas looked good also. Dockside Daves....OMG! Awesome scallops, calamari, blackened grouper sandwich. My daughter had scallops pasta dish and served with 8- 2" diameter scallops! We had so much leftovers, but couldnt bring back to hotel. I would honestly have to say this place should by far should be rated much higher then #6. I enjoyed every place, but for seafood, and cost and casual vacation dining it's the best! They were on listed in Southern Living Magazine for Key Lime Pie, and the artilcle is framed on the wall to review. The other places we ate, Basil Leaf Thai and Sushi - fabulous sushi rolls! We also ate at Gigis - good Itallian dishes, big portions. We took one day and went to the Pier in St Petersburg, ate at Cha Cha Coconuts on top floor of the Pier - chain restaraunt with great view. We also drove to Ellenton Outlet Mall not too far away, but worth the time. Shopping great sales as usual outlet malls, not quite as big as the one in Destin, but still a great day! I hope all the details give you much to go on! One extra thing, I have to say regarding the Resort, although very nice and I probably wouldnt stay at any other location in St Pete Beach, other then maybe Tradewinds (I did hear good things about that) this is by far not any resort I'm use to and as far as being a Lowes Hotel - which I always look for first when vacationing, this resort was not up to the Lowes standard. I recenlty stayed at Lowes in LA - Santa Monica, and Don Cesar didnt even come close. I really think it should'nt be referrenced as part of the Lowes family. Rooms were the SMALLEST, and least desirable I've ever stayed, by far not any RESORT. Keep in mind it is a 95 year old hotel. Oh, NEWSPAPER TO ROOM IS NOT COMPLIMENTARY!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank uptown63
Reviewed 28 June 2011

My new husband and I stayed at the Don Cesar for two nights and had our private wedding ceremony conducted on the beach. The hotel is beautiful and a great place to stay. What made our visit so special were the staff, we did find the reception staff a little snooty but everyone else was amazing. The staff in the Maritana Grill were excellent, very welcoming and extremely efficient and the food was scrumptious, the guys on the beach were great fun and very friendly and the chambermaids were so friendly and helpful too. The hotel had a great atmosphere throughout - we'll definitely go back next time we're in Florida

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 June 2011

We have been coming to the Don for the last 20 years. It is very relaxing to sit back and just stare at the Gulf. The service is outstanding. Special attention is given to the details that make this hotel/resort outshine the rest.
The pool bar/restaurant is great as well as the rest of the onsight restaurants. The people working around the pool are very helpful. We especially loved Ernie!
There are 2 pools and a hot tub. Many amenities so check out their website and don't forget to get ice cream at Uncle Andy's...

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 June 2011

Traveled to the Don CeSar for a weekend. We had a wonderful time, relaxing meals, great wine, and fast service. I highly recommend it.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 June 2011

I admit to some trepidation after reading many reviews stating that the Don was showing a bit of wear. We arrived early one morning and from the beginning to the end of our stay (five nights, everything was wonderful. There are a few things that I wasn't wild about, quibbles mostly, but I cannot or would not consider staying elsewhere while visiting this beautiful stretch of beach.

So, the best part of the stay was a gracious and accommodating staff. From the moment we pulled up, we were greeted with smiles and good cheer. The door staff was most helpful, check-in was a breeze (an early morning flight saw us in our room at 10:00 a.m.), and the beach staff was always ready to set us up with chairs, towels, and umbrellas. And, no small feat, the cushions were very comfortable, allowing you to relax the whole day away.

(Sidenote: You all know that beach attendants should be tipped, right? We saw group after group - some of up to ten people - keep the guys running without shelling out a dime. And coolers - who brings coolers to nice resorts? This isn't a frat party.)

Housekeeping was punctual and helpful. The Maritana Restaurant was a fine night out, with absolutely beautifully prepared food, perfectly cooked, in a recently renovated space that makes for a great night. The resort fee allows for "free" WiFi. The location can't be beat either - right on Gulf Blvd, so you're close to the Bayway leading into St. Pete proper, a fun (longish) walk to Pass-a-Grill, and it's an easy drive north to the various beaches with public access. We drove many places, but took the Sun Trolley once ($2 per trip), and if you keep an eye on the Web site you can catch one without waiting for one in the hot sun. Without a doubt, it is perfectly placed in town.

The decor is really pleasing, and I thought well-maintained and clean throughout. The pools were, on our visit, crowded with families with generally well-behaved kids, though it must be said that squealing girls can be heard from miles away and parents could be a bit more sensitive about this. The older pool is actually 7' deep, something rarely seen these days. The tables around the pools offfer a fine lunch, with good service even in the heat. Even the parking attendants were friendly and helpful, despite sitting in that tiny cubicle in 95+ degree heat. Whew!

My quibbles are small, but bear mentioning: bed linen is changed only every three days (that schedule can be changed with a call to housekeeping) which, frankly, seems like a false economy, but I respected it. Service in the Maritana was a contradiction, effusively informative in its welcome and about the menu, but the waiter was nowhere to be seen when we still had not received our bread or appetizers an hour after our arrival. His excuse rang hallow. The musician at lunch might be enjoyed more if he was not hooked up to an amp; it was simply too loud. Also, I'd enquire about groups when making reservations. I know they're a hotel's bread and butter, but you do start feeling a bit squeezed out and marginalized. The staff remained helpful, but were overwhelmed at times. Also, the bar staff was uneven - one night friendly and professional, but another night saw a dry martini being made at a 2:1 ratio (yuck) and using the shot glass time and again without rinsing (I thought I tasted something weird in my drink).

By all means, consider the Don when heading to the area and you will surely enjoy yourself. It is fun, fabulous, and friendly. We're heading back as soon as we can.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple