“Inconsistent..” 2 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
Boston, MA
“Inconsistent..”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2012

Just departing now from a 3 night stay at the Don. Have been here many times before and have generally enjoyed our stay. The hotel is beautiful and in a prime location, so the Loews has an automatic advantage, I just hope they aren't relying on location alone to bring repeat guests.

Positives - The service at the pool was excellent. The staff assisting with chairs and towels, as well as food and drink delivery were hustling and extremely pleasant. The service at the inside bars and restaurants was also top notch..friendly and quick.

Not so good...- Pool Bar - On day 1 I waited over 1/2 hour after ordering to receive my turkey burger. I was at a conference and in a hurry. Bartender was unapologetic, nor did she even acknowledge the long delay. Additionally, my husband and I had drinks at a later time and attempted to start a conversation with a bartender from Nantucket (near our home) and were met with blank stares. Neither of these were important to complain about, but add to the overall inconsistent experience.

Housekeeping - Here, we had to complain. The first day I noticed sub-par cleaning (bed was made, but minimal was done...room wasn't organized, iron and ironing board not put back), but we didn't call. Day 2 we left the room at 12pm (removing the privacy sign) and arrived back at 4:30. When we arrived the housekeeper noted that she was just about to clean our room and she had been waiting all day to do so. As we were outside the door we pointed out that the privacy sign was not on, and she continued to argue that it had been on all day. When my husband asked for extra towels, she gave them and said "is that all you need?" you don't want your room cleaned, right?". She certainly was annoyed by us and was not interested in cleaning. I called the front desk immediately, they apologized and said they'd send someone up when we left. When we came back at 10pm, the room had been cleaned...I guess by Don standards. They had made the bed and put out fresh towels, but left trash, newspapers old room service dishes etc. Again, we called to speak to the manager who apologized, but did not offer any accommodation or solution other than to leave the trash outside for retrieval.

We have stayed previously at Loews Miami & Orlando and in both cases have experienced exceptional customer service, this St Pete property needs some work.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank EdgartownBaby
Manager D, Manager at The Don CeSar, responded to this review, 25 May 2012
We do apologize for the experience that you had with our Housekeeping attendant. Please know that we have addressed these concerns to insure that they do not happen again. It is always our goal to provide a Supremely Comfortable and vibrant experience for each of our guests.
It was a pleasure to speak with you about your concerns. I hope that despite all of the challenges, we will have yet another opportunity to be of proper service. Thank you for choosing Loews Hotels

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (682)
Philadelphia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2012

I just stayed at the "Don" for 5 days and what a beautiful place. From the minute I walked in the front door until I left it was outstanding. Sevice was great and the place is awesome. Great history and yes the rooms are small but who goes away for the room? Place is top notch.

Room Tip: Always ask for a top floor and beach view.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank tomjarrett436
Manager D, Manager at The Don CeSar, responded to this review, 19 May 2012
Thank you for the "Awesome" review on Trip Advisor. We are glad you had a outstanding 5 days at the Loews Don CeSar Hotel. We look forward to welcoming you back to St. Pete Beach again real soon.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2012 via mobile

We arrived after driving 600 miles. Had leak in bathroom that took three requests before it was fixed. Room was not made up two days in a row. Staff and hotel are nice but there is a lack of attention to detail and customer service. They could certainly take some lessons from The Ritz in Sarasota, it wouldn't take much to make this an outstanding place to stay. A little disappointing ! Our stay will be over this Friday May 18th 2 more days. Room 267 we will see.

Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Gapkarman
Dear Gapkarman,
Thank you for giving us a chance to remedy the situation while you were still with us. I hope we were able to turn things around for you. Please accept my apologies for the miscommunication with servicing the room and the Do not disturb sign. We look forward to having another chance to give you a 4 diamond and more experience in the future.
Brussels, Belgium
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2012

Expensive for what it could be, but ultimately is not. The rooms are poorly insulated and if you are there to relax, this can be difficult (from doors banging at night, to wedding parties, newspaper delivery, or people shouting down the corridor to their brats or dogs). The service ranges from excellent (generally) to poor (very occasionally), but the biggest downside is the clientele, unless of course, you are one of them...

Eat fish at the Sea Critters at the entrance of Pass a Grille (at the traffic lights) or Maryland Crab Cakes at the Black Monkey in the center.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank G P
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2012

If you are debating between the Tradewinds and the Don Cesar, pick the Don Cesar. It is by far the nicest hotel in the area. The beach and pool area is what really sets it apart. The sand is sugar soft white and the two pools are generous. The rooms, although gorgeous, are a little small. Families may be cramped in a standard room, but they are perfect for couples. The location is also perfect. It is easy to get to from Tampa International Airport and is withing walking distance of shops and restaurants (In the event that you would want to ever leave the hotel!)

If you are looking for the grand hotel experience, make sure you don't confuse the hotel with the Beach House Suites. They are not in the same complex.

The Tradewinds is nice and also has a nice pool area, but the hotel is not on par with the Don Cesar. The rooms are more dated and the interior of the hotel is not nearly as grand and inviting.

For breakfast, make sure to make at least one trip to the nearby Seahorse Restaurant on Pass a Grille Beach! You'll be glad you did!

Room Tip: In my opinion, it is not worth the extra money to stay in a balcony room. The balconies are so small...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
8 Thank Muller2025
Manager D, Manager at The Don CeSar, responded to this review, 19 May 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post about your recent visit. We hope your travels bring you back again soon to St. Pete Beach and our hotel.
Landenberg
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2012

This hotel is very beautiful in an old world "Mambo Kings" kind of way. I can imagine some stunning and unforgettable events happening there. But I was there for business and for sleep, and for that, it was just ok. When I arrived, finding a place to plug in my laptop was strangely hard. The outlets mounted on the desk didn't work so I had to unplug lights around the room to find a place to plug in, and they had this safety feature that made it so I could not plug the lights back in. So my laptop worked, but I was kind of in the dark. Oh well, I figured the housekeeper would know how to plug them back in for me. But she didn't end up coming to clean my room until 5pm when I was back in the room after being out of it all day for meetings. So I was ready to relax a little, not leave so she could clean it, and just told her to not worry about doing the room that day. Then, that night, I learned that the room door let in every sound from the hallway when I heard people giggling and yelling up and down the hall late into the night. Then, at 7am (the one day I could sleep in till 7:20) I heard a high pitched squeal the grew louder and louder. I finally looked out into the hall and saw a worker vacuuming with an ancient vacuum that sounded like a toddler screaming. As soon as he saw me peeking out, he apologized for waking me and stopped. I instantly felt bad for him -- he was only doing his job -- but does the hotel not have a noise policy about workers holding off on doing noisy stuff till a little later in the morning? The final nail in the coffin for me was the shower. The tub filled up with 3 inches of water pretty quickly. Being ankle deep in dirty water after an 8 minute shower was pretty disappointing.

End result -- I would come here again for a romantic getaway with my husband because it really is that beautiful here. But I wouldn't do it without getting a discounted rate. This is not a $300 a night kind of place.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank roadtripper_two
Manager D, Manager at The Don CeSar, responded to this review, 19 May 2012
We would really love to speak with you further regarding issues from your previous stay. Could you please email us at doncesarcustomerservice@loewshotels.com? Thank you
Tampa
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2012

Stayed there for a wedding this weekend. Great for a wedding, really great. Totally overrated for a nice weekend getaway. Was extremely disappointed with the customer service and the appearance of the interior. Elevator buttons were old and broken. Hallways were dingy. Door to our room had a huge scratch. Bathrooms are smaller than anything. For the price, it leaves a ton to be desired.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank blondeg8r
Manager D, Manager at The Don CeSar, responded to this review, 10 May 2012
Customer service is our highest priority and we would like to speak with you regarding your stay. We always want the opportunity to address and remedy guests' issues during their stay. We would value the opportunity to speak with you directly. Please contact us at: doncesarcustomerservice@loewshotels.com.