“A work in progress”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Carmel, California
“A work in progress”
Reviewed 9 August 2012

We were treated to 2 days at the hotel the month of August. We found the employees very friendly and customer service oriented.
The food at the hotel was delicious!!No need to leave the grounds on that account.

The Gulf was beautiful (can'y wait to return in the winter),and beach was very well maintained.

The rooms have all been redone. Great bed,luxury bedding,flat screen TV's.

I guess Loews is still working to update the main areas.

We would return.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony facing the gulf.
1 Thank sammark60
Dear Sammark60,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor. We are glad you enjoyed the service and food while you were staying with us. We look forward to welcoming you back when you return this winter.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (728)
Pensacola, Florida
Reviewed 9 August 2012

Stopped by the " Don" on my way back from Sarasota. They have rebuilt the whole thing since we stayed at Christmas ..They took note and changed everything.. It is very cool and beachy now ..new furniture (again) this time it is great ..new paint scheme (kudos)..new interactive computers on the lobby walls (three) surfboard by the pool announcing time and temp , weather etc..new rebuilt rooms .I was so happy to see this change !! I have been going here since 1992 and have seen the ups and downs ..This now looks like an up time ..

2 Thank Randy413
Dear Randy413,
Thank you for the nice review on Trip Advisor. We are thrilled you like the renovations that we went through. We are excited about the way the hotel looks also. Can't wait to welcome you back in the very near future.
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 8 August 2012

Newly renovated rooms, a re-energized staff, impeccable housekeeping and great attention to detail all added up to a fantastic stay. After a steady decline in the past several years, Loews has recently stepped things up and restored the Don Cesar Beach Resort to its former greatness.

With a beautiful beach, two pools, a vibrant beach bar, great food, fine dining at the Maritana Grille, there is little reason to ever leave this resort, but plenty to do in neighboring St Pete if you need a change of scenery. And speaking of scenery, the Don offers perhaps the best view of the sunset in the area.

Room Tip: There are no bad rooms here. If you are going to spend a lot of time in your room, go for the partia...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank captainblock
Dear Captainblock,

Thank you so much for the very nice review on Trip Advisor. We are glad you liked the renovations and your recent stay at the Loews Don CeSar Hotel. I am glad you returned this year and had a great time. We look forward to seeing you next year.
Ohio
Reviewed 3 August 2012

(pardon using old account, log in on usual account is not working) I read glorious reviews about this hotel and have visited oceanfront hotels throughout the world. I understand that they are usually a little bit more pricy and like to add on a resort fee. The Don takes the cake; you are charged $22 a day for internet access, shoe shine(?), towels, parking, and more. Here is the gimmick- the internet is in room and was hard to access whereas if you are not traveling with a computer or you need to do some read business, internet in the business room is $7.50 for 15 minutes and then charged every minute after.
The Don CeSar is itself an amazing hotel and packs quite the interesting bed time story when you read about the life it has led. Loew's is leading it right down the toilet. There was 5 of us coming to the hotel on our huge Florida Excursion. I thought this would be the end of the trip and where we can unwind after ripping apart the theme parks of Florida. We booked a Luxury Junior Suite( two doubles) in March 2012. We asked for a high floor away from the Elevator and we called to put this request in. I was told since I am asking early it would be no problem and their pleasure. We arrived around 3 and after an hour of waiting, we got our room which was 243. The hotel is seven stories tall(8 option I think is a suite in one elevator) and we were right next to the elevators on the second floor. I was a little unhappy. I went to the desk and I and my mother spoke with Ashley Sprinkle ( ASSISTANT manager[ she told us she was the manager when we asked]) She then gave us another room which was on the 4th floor and it was still near the elevators. The floor is good and the suites are just located by the elevator. This room was the same type but very different inside. We needed a sleeper sofa to accommodate all of us the most comfortable way and the room description said that the room has a sleeper sofa, which this one did not. It had a few other things that were added or missing from 243. Again, We went to talk with Ashley and said that there was nothing she could do and offered 243 again to us.
Next surprise, on the virtual tour, the room shown has a large LCD TV, entertainment center, plenty of room, and a refrigerator. Here is the Loew's trick- the rooms TV is the same size of the bedrooms in both 243 and 443 so I believe that is a a false image, their was no DVD Player or center of entertainment and to have a refrigerator, you have to pay $15 a day. We asked if there was any upgrades and we were told that there were, but they would charge us for it, nothing complimentary. But they do not have to, but under the circumstances that we were this unhappy on our vacation, it seemed appropriate. So we then enjoyed the hotel and ocean. The beach is well taken care of close to the hotel and when you get to the gulf, there is seaweed everywhere and its heavy in the water. I have been to the Atlantic and Pacific and its truly a game of luck on where there is not too much seaweed. This hotel has a lot. There are stingrays, conches, and many more amazing things that I have not seen elsewhere that you get at the Gulf, so definitely take advantage of the ocean. We did not sit or use the pool, but there are attendants at the pool offering sunscreen, water, towels and more. This is something that I have not seen before. That night we all congregated in the room and had three in the two beds ( which are rather small) and then one on the couch and one on the floor. Before going to bed, i went searching for a piano. I have been playing for a long time and love to play. The hotel has a beautiful grand, but they have a lock on the key cover so it cannot be played and I did not ask to see if it could be removed and I could play since I was already fighting a battle with the hotel. There was a surprise after using the business center that I found a upright on the 5th floor in one of the meeting halls. I ended up playing it and I found happiness. To continue, we decided that we were not going to stay at the hotel after a while and we paid 7.50 to make new reservations. We went down stairs and spoke again with Ashley and said that we were leaving. We were then told that we would have to pay for the two days that we would not be there, we fought and it turned into one day and after more discussion it was lowered to 50% of the next day. By this time my father was furious and my mother unhappy on our vacation. If they would have worked with us, this all could have been avoided. Ashley was a broken record explaining policy and what she cannot do, well what can you? I work in Medicine and if I went only by policy, I would have a lot of failures and ignorance. I love the hotel, but hate the Loew's part. The hotel is also pet friendly and there are dogs all over and its interesting that they have certain rooms but they are spread all over the hotel. If someone has allergies then this could be a problem. Alike the fridge, if someone was a diabetic, they would have to pay extra. I was told that it would be complementary to them, but I wonder what lengths Loew's would go through to be sure that the person was truly a diabetic.
The hotel has several restaurants, none of which can you eat for less than $20 a person. The city of St. Pete's also does not have a lot of family friendly, low key eateries. We had eaten $500 meals earlier in the vacation and all we really wanted was a cheap buffet or a olive garden or something. We spoke with the concierge about it and we were given a list of all the local places to eat. All were fancy places that are hefty on the bill. We brought this up to Ashley and her response "Well, if you did not know, that is her job. She is to recommend places to eat." That is peachy but we asked for a family friendly place, not the Ritz Deluxe.
Needless to say, we wanted to get the ---- out of there, I was down with mother doing the check out whilst the valet can to the room to take our bags. He packed the bags and insisted he was complete and they went down stairs. So after my brother noticed that he forgot two bags in the room. This was serious, the one bad had a wallet inside it with thousands of dollars and the other with some medication. Holy Mackerel, you do not want to forget those off all the bags. You can forget the bags with clothes but not those two. So we throw the luggage in the car and got out of there.
So Basically, do not go here. Go to the Sheraton, Hilton, or Hyatt in Clearwater. Unless you are a successful CEO or scientist that wants to drop money like a tree in fall.
Amazing location but it over shadowed by a poorly run hotel. This could be much longer with much more but it is what it is. Air Conditioning was good though

Room Tip: Sure, do not go here and do not get a suite.
8 Thank hiltonpeople2
Dear hiltonpeople2,

Thank you for being our guest and sharing your comments on Trip Advisor. At check in you mentioned that you were a prolific blogger. Your review is very detailed, this helps us in our endeavors to better the hotel and guest experence. Thank you.

It is always our goal to provide a Supremely Comfortable and vibrant experience for each of our guests. All of us here at the hotel would like to sincerely apologize for the
inconveniences you encountered with your accommodations. Please note
that we have reviewed your comments carefully and are addressing
each challenge individually.

The Loews Don CeSar Hotel values your business and we strive to meet and exceed your expectations. We sincerely hope that you will extend to us another opportunity to demonstrate that we can meet your expectations and render a memorable and pleasant experience.

Again my sincere apologies
glasgow, scotland
Reviewed 2 August 2012

stayed in this hotel last week as a treat for my 60th birthday with my family. varying age groups but all were suitably impressed. twelve year old loved the volleyball right beside the hotel sunbeds. gorgeous hotel, excellent service, family friendly,great food,ideal location. hassle free sunbeds, towels etc on beach with no surcharge.

Room Tip: you must ask for a sea view
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank mg25Glasgow_Scotland
Manager D, Manager at The Don CeSar, responded to this review, 5 August 2012
Dear mg25Glasgow_Scotland,
Thank you for sharing your wonderful experience at our hotel. We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay and that we were able to make your birthday special. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Loews Don CeSar soon.
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 1 August 2012

We always come to Don Cesar for Summer. Wonderful hotel,great staff!!! Great choices for kids meals!! We enjoyed the beach,the pool and the weather!!! There is no other place to stay for us!!
Rooms are kind of small,but if you ask for corner rooms you will have better options.

Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
6 Thank Renata C
Manager D, Manager at The Don CeSar, responded to this review, 4 August 2012
Dear Renata C,
Thank you for the nice review on Trip Advisor. We are glad you choose us every summer and look forward to your visit next year.
Orlando, Florida, United States
Reviewed 31 July 2012

We stayed for 3 days / 2 nights around my birthday. The staff was incredible. The front desk staff and bell hops were very helpful. It was the concierge desk that I was most impressed with. In particular the gentleman that was working there. They answered all our questions, printed out information for us and set up reservations on a sailboat for a sunset cruise.

I was concerned that the 250sf rooms would be too small, but this was not the case. The rooms are wonderfully furnished and did not feel cramped at all. We had a room with an 'inter-coastal' view. Not a 'beach view', but this really wasn't bad. We could see the beach in one direction and the inter-coastal water way in the other.

Being a resort hotel, the food is expensive. I just expect this and plan accordingly. All resort hotels that I've been to in the Central Florida area are like this. If you want something less expensive then try some of the restaurants just North of the hotel at John's Pass.

The location is great. It's right on the beach and has lounge chairs set up day and night. We watched the sunset one night and stayed for quite awhile after the sun went down. There was a nice breeze, great star-gazing and you could even see oil rigs fire up in the Gulf of Mexico.

We will definitely be going back.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Dante D
Dear Dante D,
We were thrilled to see you enjoy your recent Birthday stay. Thank you for recognizing our outstanding staff, along with the perfect location and top-notch amenities, we are able to offer guests like you an ideal hotel when visiting St. Pete Beach. Thank you for taking the time to post, we really appreciate it and hope to welcome you back in the very near future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near St. Pete Beach
Sirata Beach Resort
#14 of 32 in St. Pete Beach
Grand Plaza Beachfront Resort Hotel & Conference Center
Guy Harvey Outpost, a TradeWinds Beach Resort

Been to The Don CeSar? Share your experiences!