“Blew my socks off” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
Tarrytown, New York
“Blew my socks off”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2013

This resort was top notch, from the decor to the service. A+!
I fell in love with this resort 2 years ago when I found it online, and was counting down the days til my visit.

My husband and I were celebrating our 5 year anniversary and we loved every minute of it.
On thanksgiving we had the King Arthurs Buffet and it was worth the steep price. The waiters (Dwight and Dwayne graced us with their phenomenal service, and when my favorite muffin was gone from the buffet they sent it to my room - so sweet). The pool bartender (Matt from Cape Cod) was super friendly and had a smile to die for (I swear my husband and I are pretty sure we saw his teeth sparkle - it was something straight out of a toothpaste commercial).

Yoga on the beach - amazing. Spa - I had a massage from Toni and her scalp massage came with the swedish massage and ... WOW.. just WOW.

Some people complained about the beds on Trip Advisor, but my husband and I didn’t feel that way, we loved it! Only thing we can negatively state is that we paid for a Grand King Balcony but got the 2nd floor (apparently there are only 6 of these rooms) and when we look to the left the only thing we could see was the roof with the AC units on them. If I looked to the right the view was beautiful, but for the price I wouldn’t spend money on that room to get a partial view. If you pay for a full ocean front room it shouldn’t have a roof in the view, or I feel that you should at least be warned or compensated and given the chance to change your room. I’m sure the hotel knew the room had a view of the roof when they gave it to us. How could you not, right? I was too excited to be there to complain about something so petty, but now that I think about it I wouldn’t re-book that same room (that’s for sure!)

Next time we go, we are bringing our daughter. Seemed to be an extremely child friendly resort. Can’t wait!

Room Tip: watch out for the view when booking a balcony. Request a room on a higher floor.
Green Features: Yes - recycling bins all over. Love the way Loews is trying to become more environmentally friendly!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MTara1009
LoewsDonCeSar_1928, Manager at The Don CeSar, responded to this review, 4 December 2013
A+! Love it! Thanks!

First of all, a belated Happy Anniversary. I'm delighted that you chose our lovely Pink Palace to celebrate. It sounds like you made a great decision!

Glad you enjoyed all our amenities, from Spa Oceana and yoga, to our tasty Thanksgiving dinner! And how cool was it to have that roll delivered to your room? We have an incredible staff and are so proud to be sharing that A+ with each and every one of them.

We hope to see you back soon with your daughter! Happy Holidays!

Regards,

Loews Don CeSar Hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (682)
Wellington, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2013 credit card Amex Cardmember Review

Enjoyed a nice Columbus Day weekend at the resort. Beautiful beach, friendly staff. Rooms are small, but clean. Grounds are very well kept. Resort caters to families many activities each and every day that my kids loved. Planning on making a return visit the same weekend next year.

Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Ryan M
Thanks for taking the time to share your comments about your recent stay over Columbus Day weekend. I'm happy that you and your family had such fun time at our Pink Palace!

Hope to see you back soon! Happy Holidays!

chester, UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2013

sadly I have to be honest and I have thought long and hard about posting this review, but I have to be truthful.
We have been visiting the Don for 17 years and considered it one of the best hotels , we have always loved it more than any other.
Unfortunately, since Loews have taken over they gradually eroded all the 'greatness' out of the hotel. Each year it has become more expensive, but we've paid because we love it so much. Nothing is too much trouble for the staff. From the Fabulous bell staff to the guys around the pool, some have been there since we first visited and welcome us like old friends- the service is phenomenal. The rooms are spotlessly clean and the view, as always , is to die for.
so what has gone wrong, I hear you say? Well, unless you're very lucky, part of a Wedding party or Corporate party, forget it , you really don't matter to the Management.
We asked for a quiet room as I know how noisy some areas are , from past experience, and were assured our room would be. so imagine how annoyed I was to find the Boom, boom of loud music when we got to our room just before ten p.m.
When I called reception I was told that nothing could be done as it was the entertainment in the bar below or from a wedding 2 floors above. They couldn't move us as they were full! Strangely though, when I said I was checking out the following morning, they found another room- too late , we were already in bed!
I needn't have worried because the beds are SO uncomfortable. We couldn't sleep in the beds anyway.They are hard, cheap mattresses, covered with cheap mattress protectors that bunch -up as soon as you get in bed. They are worse than the cheapest budget chain in the UK, so how do they justify it?
This year , they have come up with a new way to fleece the ordinary guest, they now charge you to sit on the beach!!!!
Who wants to visit a beach resort and not be able to sit on the beach unless they pay nearly $50 for the privilege, it's highway robbery. It's so hot, you can't get any breeze around the pool. Of course it's no issue for all the corporate folks on the beach, they just charge it to their rooms and the company can pay!
By the way, you don't even get a shower cap in the room now. Apparently, you can request one. I've never known such penny -pinching from a 'quality' hotel in all my days.
I guess we'll have to re-think our holiday plans in the future as I hate paying over the odds for a hotel I can't even get a good nights sleep in.
Shame on you Loews, you've taken the 'great' out of a national treasure!!

Room Tip: t/o find a good room? If you want to sleep, go to another hotel!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank pollyanna775
I truly appreciate the truthful comments about your recent visit to the Loews Don CeSar.

We welcome all comments, good and bad - that's the only way we can improve what needs improving and thank those individuals who continue to make The Don such a special place.

I do regret you left feeling the way you did. We do everything we can to make things right for ALL our guests and it appears we missed the mark on this visit.

Hopefully, after 17 years of great memories, you'll give us another try and come back! We want you to only have wonderful thoughts of what has become a legend in the St. Pete Beaches community.

Best regards and Happy Holidays,

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2013

We just got home from a long weekend at the Don CeSar (Fri Nov 23 thru Mon Nov 26). We truly found the hotel to be spectacular. The history of the hotel is so unique and now it is renovated with stunning beauty. We felt like we "stepped back in time", but with modern amenities too. All staff were very accommodating. We were travelling with our young child and the hotel really did a fantastic job at catering to kids too. Sand pails on beach in the shape of a boat, kids can make sand castles while the parents keep an eye on them in hammocks strung by palm trees on the beach, complimentary Kids Programs for 3 hours (free bsitting for 3 hours per day), fantastic menu options at the restaurants for kids, hola hoops and toys for pool play, etc....The pools were very nice and not once did I find the music loud as someone else recently mentioned. Normally I don't even like loud music. In fact, I thoroughly enjoyed the live music they played at one pool, very tasteful. One pool was a bit quieter than the other--so there were excellent options and both pools are right by the beach. The breakfasts were phenomenal--yes, not cheap in price, but they were high quality and what I would expect to pay at a nice hotel. Live music in the lobby bar over the weekend was beautiful. The rooms are standard size, the bathroom is small--but what I would expect from a historic building. The Don CeSar is so unique I would highly recommend it to everyone. (Note: I wanted to give this rating a 4.5 stars really, as the one bed in our room was very uncomfortable....I think perhaps the mattress was too soft....not enough support). Otherwise, just a phenomenal experience and very relaxing vacation.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Cee1972
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2013 via mobile

We recently stayed here and hosted our wedding at this venue. It was stunning. Everyone was friendly and the resort was immaculate. The wedding was amazing. The resort itself was beautiful. The beach was picturesque and staff was friendly and attentive. There was something to do for everyone from ages 4-84. We can't wait to return!

Stayed November 2013
LoewsDonCeSar_1928, Manager at The Don CeSar, responded to this review, 26 November 2013
Congratulations!

I'm happy to hear that your special day with us was so memorable! We feel we have a stunning property, and I'm glad you felt the same way about your wedding - that it was stunning!

I'm also excited to see you mention that we have something for everyone -- we do try to offer all our guests a great environment in which they can have fun and flourish!

We hope to welcome you back again! Thanks for selecting The Pink Palace for your special day!

New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2013 via mobile

We really loved the beach, pool, restaurants, spa, fitness center and morning beach yoga with Diane and Wendy. The staff here is truly incredible. So friendly and helpful, above and beyond to assist guests. Roseangela at the spa gave me a great facial with helpful skin care tips. The high end restaurant in the hotel Maritana was truly delicious with exceptional service. The only problem, and it's a huge problem, was the terrible beds. I complained after the second night and the kind manager put new mattresses in the room. It didn't matter. Loews uses cheap mattresses that are uncomfortable to most people. If you have a back issue you can not sleep here. It's unfortunate bc the resort is flawless otherwise.

• Stayed November 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Hi Shira,

I was so excited when I read your review and you shared how wonderful your experience was, except the beds! I am so sorry about that. A good night's sleep is so important and I do apologize that our beds did not meet your expectations.

I hope that we made up for it with the exceptional service you experienced during your stay, including the fabulous morning yoga with Wendy and Diane, who are great! The facial is Spa Oceana is also one of my personal favorites....so I hope those memories will be what you remember most about your stay with us and come see us again soon.

Thanks for your honesty and valuable feedback.

Janesville, WI
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2013

My husband and I were celebrating our 30th wedding anniversary. We decided to spend 2 nights at St. Pete Beach and 5 nights at WDW Swan and attend Epcot's Food and Wine Festival. Upon check in we were wished a happy anniversary and asked if we could wait a few minutes so they could give us a room with a nice view. After about 5 minutes we had our keys to the 7th floor, along with 2 free drink coupons. The room was lovely, with a small window, but a beautiful view. The next day we returned from a day at the gorgeous pool and beach to find a bottle of champagne, chocolate covered strawberries and a card signed by several staff members. So thoughtful!

Every staff member we encountered was so pleasant and helpful. I did read some negative reviews about the rooms being small and problems with staff. This is an old hotel, so the rooms may seem a bit small, but they are lovely and comfortable. We felt the staff was outstanding. I wish I could remember names, but our stay was 10/29/13-10/31/13. If a manager sees this, please recognize your staff at valet, baggage, front desk, maid, housekeeping, pool wait staff, and the Maritana Grill. They were all great!

All of the special touches were very much appreciated. We certainly did not receive anything like that at our WDW resort.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
First off, Happy Anniversary!

Thanks so much for sharing your experience at the Pink Palace here on Tripadvisor! Your comments were right on the money in all aspects, and we appreciate your genuine remarks!

I'll be sure to pass your thanks along to the appropriate departments. Your thoughtfulness will go a long way!

We appreciate you selecting Loews Don CeSar, and hope to see you back on your 31st anniversary!