“LOVE THIS HOTEL”

The Don CeSar
Ranked #6 of 32 Hotels in St. Pete Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 29 January 2014

I have been coming here for years. My Dad first took me here when I was a small child. I have been coming ever since. Gorgeous Beach, amazing breakfast buffet...great old memories and excellent new ones.

Room Tip: ANy room is a good room
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Domenic M
LoewsDonCeSar_1928, Manager at The Don CeSar, responded to this reviewResponded 30 January 2014

I love it when the second generation comes back and recalls great memories of their past visits as a child and experience new ones as an adult!

Thanks for sharing your comments on Tripadvisor and we look forward to seeing you on the beach again soon!

Reviewed 28 January 2014

Stayed over MLK weekend and though the weather was not very warm the property was great and very well kept. The staff was helpful, sweet and kind. We loved the "pool butlers" who greeted you, took you to your chair, covered the cushoin in a liner and added a pillow and a towel. The chairs also had little flags on the back of them to let them know you needed assistance, very cool!!!! Food was generally very good but treat yourself to the upscale dining room. The food was really exceptional and I have dined all over Chicago in the 23+ years that I have lived here. The hallways/elevators could use a little dressing up but other than that no complaints. Enjoyed the Jazz Band in the lobby bar 2 of the 3 nights we were here.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank John H

Thanks for the great feedback and I'm glad to hear that you made the most of your stay with us despite the weather!

We do our best to hire the most qualified staff here at Loews Don Cesar, and I am glad that you found them helpful, sweet and kind! I'm also excited that you enjoyed our live jazz in the Lobby Bar. It kind of takes you back to the "Gatsby Days!"

I appreciate your honest comments about the hallways and elevators. As a matter of fact, we're just finalizing plans to start the renovation of both the elevator cabs and the landings....so they will certainly be dressed up when you visit the next time!

Thanks for being our guest and we hope to welcome you back soon!

Reviewed 27 January 2014

I was looking forward to my stay at the Don CeSar. When we reserved we paid for a deluxe room. The room we were given was small, non descript with a partial ocean view. The bedding was wrinkled as if someone had been sitting on the bed. When we inquired if this was indeed a deluxe room we were told that it was. We expressed our disappointment and were offered a small suite for $50 a night more. We moved to that room which had no water view and soon discovered that the air conditioning did not work. Maintenance responded quickly and was unable to correct the problem. He said that the room was on the list to have the air unit updated (so why were we given the room??). We were then given another room. By now our tempers were getting a bit short and we were getting a bit irritated tipping bellhops to keep moving our luggage. Room number 3 was a large suite with a view of the parking lot.The decor was modern/art deco. The bathroom was large and well appointed. There was a seperate makeup/vanity area. The bed was comfortable with luxurious linens. There were numerous outlets conveniently located for charging. The pool was great with comfortable loungers and great oversized towels. The service in all areas of the hotel was fantastic. The holiday decorations were dazzling!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank klenc
LoewsDonCeSar_1928, Manager at The Don CeSar, responded to this reviewResponded 28 January 2014

I am so sorry that you encountered the issues you did with your accommodations. That never should have happened, but I am glad that your overall stay was a positive one!

We pride our self in our service and obviously it showed! Our team Members (employees) take great interest in making sure all our guests have a great time and leave happy! I'm also delighted that you enjoyed our dazzling holiday decor! Hopefully, you'll come back and see it again.

Thanks for sharing your experience and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 26 January 2014

My sister and I did a two-overnight relaxing spa mini vacation at Loews Don CeSar Hotel. It was absolutely wonderful! The room was beautiful with a nice view of the beach. The spa was fantastic!!!! We chose the "Relax and Refresh" which is an aroma therapy hot stone massage for 60 minutes followed by a 30-minute facial--awesome and super relaxing! I flew out to Florida from Arizona to celebrate my sister's birthday and once our massages and facials were finished, we were taken up to the rooftop to relax with some pink champagne--how thoughtful and wonderful! We ate at the Sea Porch Restaurant both evenings and had wonderful seafood meals--the conch fritters were out of this world. Even though it was overcast while we were there, we were able to take long walks on the beach and just talk, relax and be "girls" again. Just what the doctor ordered. We had a wonderful time and the staff was absolutely great! Everyone had a smile on their face and ready to help with anything we needed. A truly excellent experience!

Room Tip: Ask for something with a view of the beach--well worth it!
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Janet K

We just love girl friend getaways! And when we have the chance to help make them memorable, it really makes me feel good!

I was excited to read that you enjoyed your visit to Spa Oceana and the rooftop Terrace. Sipping on pink champagne while taking in the view of the Gulf is something you'll never forget! And the treatments you experienced are some of my personal favorites!

I'm also happy to hear that your meals in Sea Porch were delicious and it sounds as though your walks on the beach made for a perfect end to a perfect day!

Thanks for sharing your experience here on Tripadvisor and we hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 26 January 2014

I stayed here for a global sales conference for one week. During my stay I was with approximately 150 colleagues. The hotel is in a great location on the beach, approx 40-50 minutes from Tampa international airport. The staff Staff were friendly and always willing to help. The quality of food was good although at times during the conference I felt it could have been warmer. Several of my colleagues had upset stomachs during the conference which we believed was down to the chicken not being cooked correctly on one of the nights.

There were several shops located in the hotel where you could purchase clothes, cigarettes, food, drink and gifts etc.

This is a no smoking resort so you can only smoke in certain places on the hotel, or on the beach.

There are lots of things to do on the beach, during our stay we played beach volleyball which was located directly outside the hotel, 50 years on the beach.

My room was spacious with a balcony, although the bath/shower was not that big. Make sure you ask for a beach view and a balcony if possible. As some of my colleagues had rooms overlooking the Main Street or they didn't even have a balcony.

Expect to pay $18 for a movie if you want to watch one from you room.

The hotel also offers a free shuttle bus that takes you to some of the local beach bars, all you have to do is tip the driver. We visited several of the bars and I would recommend the following if you plan on visiting, the Toasted Monkey St Pete's Beach and the Beachcomber bar and grill.

The overall experience 6.5/10

Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Cyphersurfer

WOW! You really took advantage of your time while you were here - that's awesome. I'm so glad you discovered the FREE beach bar shuttle and you found the Toasted Monkey (always a fun place). I'm also glad you had a great time on our beach! It's no wonder why we were named the #1 beach by Tripadvisor!

Starting in February, we'll be offering FREE transportation from Loews Don Cesar to downtown St. Pete. That way you can explore the many cultural highlights of the area by day, and use the FREE Beach Shuttle you mentioned to get around at night. One thing for sure, you'll never be bored!

Thanks for taking the time to post your comments on Tripadvisor! We hope to see you back soon!

Reviewed 25 January 2014

Here for a business conference. Old hotel that has been nicely renovated.
Room is very small. NYC sized.
Pool area really nice and beach superb.
Didn't eat in any onsite restaurants.
Wireless signal in our room was weak and sometimes dropped.
Service is overall good but inconsistent. On check-in double checked and confirmed would get at WSJ to my room every AM. Wasn't delivered, had to call every day to ask for it. Finally gave up and picked up a copy by the elevator.
On check-in, front desk staff did not code our room card to allow us to exit the self-park. Had to stop by front desk again and have that done.
Pool service inconsistent. Wife was sitting poolside for several hours before someone came over and asked if she wanted a towel to cover up as it was a little chilly. What was that about? If you see a guest entering the pool area and sitting down, get off your butt and go over and ask if they need anything. Within 60 seconds of their sitting down, not 60+ minutes later. Isn't that what we're paying the resort fee for?
So overall, elegant old facility, renovated to the modern age, nice pool area and beach, small room and inconsistent service. Worth visiting once, not sure I'd come back.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank ToYourHealth

Let me begin by apologizing for the issues you encountered with your room key and your access to the parking lot. That is unacceptable and I am glad the issue was resolved.

I am happy that you were able to enjoy the pool and beach (although it was a little chilly). And you're correct, our staff should have come to you sooner to see if you needed anything. It sounds as though that was resolved and, while your initial response was that you were not sure you would be back, we hope you will be! We have an awesome historic and well-maintained hotel, with an superb staff to support it. Let us show you how we can make your next experience here one to remember for a lifetime.

Reviewed 25 January 2014

In the past we had only attended weddings and parties at the Don, so this was a week we had anticipated. Our first impression was made when the car valet demanded that we unload upon arrival. Not well received at all - just hate ultimatums and we did not elect to valet!
Check in went smoothly after the list of extra charges and upgrades were explained. Resort fees are $25 daily, I was delighted to find that you may request a refrigerator at no charge.
The room was small but cosy - it was a Luxury Double, with very comfortable beds and nice linens. I was not fond of the toiletries they offered, Davines, so packed my own, but to their credit, found they were imported from Parma, Italy where many lovely products are made.
It appears that if you wish space you should consider upgrading to a suite. The representative explained that it is an old hotel, but on my travels I have found that many old hotels have very large spaces. Perhaps they are not encouraged to upgrade without a fee.
Music fills the lobby in the evening! The grand piano was in use daily. On the weekend, there was poolside entertainment. Complimentary sunscreen by the towel stand and iced water with fruit infusion as well, the sand is heavenly and so is the view! Sunsets are well attended and perhaps that is why the hotel continues to draw crowds willing to pay a pretty penny to stay.
I might add that the food is quite good.
All in all, if you appreciate nooks and crannies, high ceilings and old architecture, you will enjoy the Don. Maybe not The Breakers - but it does have highlights!

Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business

Thanks for taking the time to post about your recent visit to Loews Don Cesar. I apologize for any challenges you encountered at valet, but am happy to hear, that despite the "smaller" accommodations, your stay was enjoyable and more importantly, memorable!

I'm happy that you found our beds and linens comfortable and you appreciated the little touches of personalized service by the pool.

We appreciate you staying with us and hope to welcome you back soon.