“Disappointed at almost every turn”
Review of The Don CeSar

The Don CeSar
Ranked #7 of 32 Hotels in St. Pete Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Disappointed at almost every turn”
Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

While I had a great time, it had nothing to do with the service or the hotel. Besides the bar, service was crap. Every interaction with the staff left me saying "really?!" They were rude, the tv didn't work on three separate occasions. Rooms

Stayed August 2014
5 Thank Audrey B
LoewsDonCeSar_1928, Manager at The Don CeSar, responded to this review, 3 August 2014
I'm sorry that you were disappointed with your recent stay at Loews Don CeSar.

We appreciate your feedback and apologize for any inconviences.

Regards,

Loews Don CeSar Hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (750)
Bradley Beach, New Jersey
Reviewed 1 August 2014 via mobile

We have stayed a few times before and the last time was 7 months ago. Up until then we thought this was a great place with only one bad incident that the manager on hand quickly rectified. Now 7 months later and I'm not sure what happened for it to go downhill so quickly. I will list the incidents as they occurred. We checked in to our king balcony room and immediately notice the chain latch was broken ( this was something they stated they were upgrading and was the only incident we had before when a bellman burst through our door and broke the locked chain) they had engineering come and put a screw in it. They offered to buy us a drink, I declined.
The room was set at 65 but felt quite warm so I set it to 60, no difference. I looked up at the intake vent and it was clogged solid with dust and mold, disgusting. I went down to the front desk and showed them the picture, the mortified desk clerk said they will take care of it right away, can I buy you drinks? I decline.
They changed the vent filter the room was a little cooler but not much, I decide to set the iPhone thermometer up and it reads 73 even though set to 60. We get up the next morning make coffee, set it on the desk and jump in the shower. We get out and there are paint chips on the desk, chair, floor and in our coffee. I look up and there's peeling paint and the start of peeling plaster underneath . I go down to the front desk and ask for a manager, she's in a meeting, I will get that fixed right away and can I buy you drinks? I decline. Following day we get back to our room to get ready for our favorite dinner at the chefs table at Maritana grill. My wife goes to take a shower and the water is brown. I tell her to leave it run a few minutes, no change. I go down to front desk show them the video and ask for the manager. She's in a meeting. We will send up engineering, can I buy you drinks? I decline. I go up the water is still running brown 20 minutes later. Engineering never showed but it cleared up after 35 minutes of the sink and tub running. We have our excellent meal at the chefs table and go to lobby bar for night caps. We have a bottle of wine I go to put my foot on the brass foot rail and it falls apart. We are done , let's go to bed. We go out the following day have a great time and get home at 1:30 am we want to jump in the shower , get into bed as we have to drive to south beach at 5:30 am. We turn on the water and realize there is not a single towel in the bathroom or the room for that matter. I call house keeping and ask what happened. He brings some towels up and I show him, he will tell management. We actually had a suite booked for this coming week of August 6th but cancelled and decided to try trade winds instead for less than half the price. I will post how that goes. I would like to say that even though the management and hotel upkeep has gone down hill the bar, restaurant & pool staff are all exceptional !!! Hopefully the hotel will get its act together.

Stayed July 2014
8 Thank Traveler260
LoewsDonCeSar_1928, Manager at The Don CeSar, responded to this review, 10 August 2014
I want to thank you for taking the time to bring these issues to our attention. I apologize for the challenges you encountered and we are looking further into these matters.

Loews DonCeSar Hotel
naples
Reviewed 31 July 2014

This is a Florida classic! Right on St Pete beach with awesome views. This hotel has all of the modern comforts with the classic traditional touches. Great pool and amenities. This is the place to unwind as a couple or with the family. Something for everyone.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Matt H
It's great to hear that business led you to our classic Florida seaside hotel. I'm happy that you found time to experience not only the hotel, but our pool and various other amenities too!

Thanks for pointing out how we are able to offer modern day amenities, while maintaining the classic traditional touches that make The Don so unique. We take pride in that, as it allows us to provide you with a very special and memorable stay.

We hope to see you again soon.

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 31 July 2014

Thoroughly enjoyed a 3 night family stay.Perfect beach trip to the only hotel to stay in at St Pete's beach. Children loved kids club and frequent trips to Andy's ice cream shop! Enjoyed the two hour daily free kayaking and paddle boating options provided by the hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
I'm glad that you and your family found our Pink Palace!

It sounds like you all had a memorable expereince, and were able to enjoy everything from Camp CeSar to free morning kayaking and SUP. And, you built up an appetite - glad Uncle Andy's Old Fashion Ice Cream was there when you needed it.

Thanks for making Loews Don CeSar your "diamond." We hope to welcome you back soon.

See you on the water!

St Pete Beach
Reviewed 31 July 2014

Free watersports from 10-12 were awesome for our family plus beach yoga and fitness facilities were excellent too! Historical hotel had great charm, and its fantiastic service insured a tranquil and relaxing vacation for all of us. The beach daybed was a worthwhile splurge!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family

1 Thank Pedro D
It's great to hear that we were able to offer you a tranquil and relaxing vacation at our charming and historic Pink Palace!

I'm happy you discovered our free watersports and fitness classes. And, just as important, beach yoga! Not much compares to practicing yoga with nature on the sands of St. Pete Beach.

We hope to have the privilege to welcome you back. We'll have a comfy beachside day bed waiting!

Plant City, Florida
Reviewed 31 July 2014

Everything in this hotel was amazing from the moment we arrived to all the amenities we used - Oceania Spa and Martianna Grille among the outstanding. The most incredible and friendly staff I have experienced - they interacted and pampered us at every turn!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple

1 Thank Willie W
I'm glad that you felt pampered everywhere you went during your stay with us.

"Breathtaking Relaxation" is hard to come by these days, and I'm happy that we were able to deliver it for you throughout the hotel, including Spa Oceana and Maritana Grille.

Thank you for your comments on our friendly and incredible staff. They are genuinely passionate about providing the best in guest service. I'll be sure to pass your comments along.

We hope to welcome you back soon.

St Pete Beach
Reviewed 31 July 2014

I was at this hotel for a business trip, however, I would have loved to stay for family time and leisure. The banquet food was great. I was only there for a few days and wish it was for a longer stay. The room was comfortable and the atmosphere fit the location.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you for the feedback!

We're glad that business brought you to Loews Don CeSar and hope that you will be able to return soon for some leisure time. There is so much to see and do around The Don and St. Pete, you would be amazed!

We're happy that you enjoyed your comfortable room and that you appreciated the atmosphere of the property. We do our best to maintain the character and charm of our seaside hotel, and I'm glad it shows!

Thank you too for the kind remarks about our banquet food. We have some of the most talented culinarians working with us and they take great pride in their craft. I'll be sure to pass your remarks along.

Also consider these accommodations in or near St. Pete Beach
TradeWinds Island Grand Resort
TradeWinds Island Grand Resort
#10 of 32 in St. Pete Beach
Grand Plaza Beachfront Resort Hotel & Conference Center

Been to The Don CeSar? Share your experiences!