“Wonderful Summer Vacation”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Albuquerque, New Mexico
“Wonderful Summer Vacation”
Reviewed 4 August 2014

My family and I just returned from a week vacation at the Don, my husband, daughter 9, and son 5. I booked directly from the Loews website and used my AAA card to receive a good rate and booked a Deluxe Junior King room. I had a hard time finding the location, pictures, & reviews for this room type. However, the pictures look the same as the Junior suite online. This room is perfect for a family, very spacious and the sofa turns into a queen bed. However, I debated back & forth with the room, I like to have a balcony and I also want an ocean view room, although, I didn't want to spend $500+ a night for a suite and balcony. I decided I would forgo an oceanview room to have a balcony. Be aware that the majority of the rooms have no balcony, unless you want to spend $$$ for an ocean view and balcony. We ended up on the 4th floor with a view of the city, which is mainly the parking lot of the Don, the surrounding neighborhood and waterways. The view wouldn't have been bad if we didn't have the parking lot as our main view. I liked that Loews emails you a few days prior to your trip to upgrade your room. We decided to upgrade to an upper floor for the same room type for an additional $23 night. I'm glad I did, because I wouldn't have wanted to be on any lower floor, since you would be above street level.

The Don is a beautiful hotel, on a great beach with beautiful white sand. The water is calm, with quite a bit of seaweed and green water instead of the beautiful blue water on the east coast that I prefer. However, we played in the ocean everyday going back and forth between pool and beach throughout the day. The pools have plenty of chairs and service. We had excellent service everyday at the pool. We ate lunch at the pool almost everyday, by the end of the week we were tired of the food. One day we rented a beach bed which was a splurge at $125 but worth it for at least one day, there is also beach service for food and drinks.

I was disappointed in the amount of restaurants, there are only 2 restaurants 3 if you count the pool. One morning we ate at the Sea Porch restaurant and there was a 45 minute wait to receive a table, I don't know if they were short handed or that's normal. We did not have breakfast again at the Sea Porch for this reason. They have Uncle Andy's Ice Cream shop which was great, however, I wish they had more breakfast choices and other snacks. We did not try Maritana Grill since we felt it wasn't kid friendly.

Overall we had a great trip, would we come here again? Yes, to the hotel I'm not sure about the area of St. Pete. I was kind of disappointed with the area, I was expecting much better restaurants and maybe better shopping. Loews is by far the best hotel in the area and you won't be disappointed if you stay here.

I gave the Don 4 stars because of the lack of restaurants and choices for food at the hotel, other than that everything else was fine. If it was possible to give 4 1/2 stars I would.

Room Tip: If you can afford an ocean view/ocean front room it would be worth it. Otherwise you will more than...
Green Features: There are recycle containers throughout the hotel.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
LoewsDonCeSar_1928, Manager at The Don CeSar, responded to this review, 9 August 2014
Thanks for spending your summer vacation with us! I'm happy that you and your family had a great visit and had a fun time enjoying our award-winning beach and fun pool area!

Sorry that you did not feel we offered enough dining options. In addition to the restaurants you mentioned, we also serve a fun menu in Sunsets (located behind the Sea Porch). We also serve some tasty bites in the Lobby Bar. And, if you want to dine on your pool chair, or the beach, just raise your "personal" service flag and one of our attendants will be right over to get you whatever you're in the mood for- from a frozen cocktail, smoothie or yummy sandwich.

As for things to do in the area, there is a lot. From the charming Pass-A-Grille Historic District to Shopping on Corey Avenue. If you really want to see some sights, take our FREE shuttle to downtown St. Pete, where you'll find an abundance of arts, culture, shopping and dining. There are craft breweries on every corner, the fabulous Dali Museum and much more!

Hopefully we'll have the privilege of welcoming you back again, and you and your family can discover all that we have to offer!

Thanks for sharing your comments. See you on the beach!

Loews Don CeSar Hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (717)
Orlando Fl
Reviewed 4 August 2014

This fabulous hotel wasn't shining last weekend. The grounds are gorgeous , but some of the staff needs improving. For the price and the extra $ 25 resort fee, Let's clean up the pool area, add more chaises, etc.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

LoewsDonCeSar_1928, Manager at The Don CeSar, responded to this review, 10 August 2014
I apologize that you felt that the Pink Palace was not shining its best during your recent visit, which left you feeling somewhat disappointed.

I appreciate you bringing this to our attention.

Loews Don CeSa Hotel
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 3 August 2014

This hotel was a HUGE disappointment!!!! My husband and I never had a honeymoon so we went there expecting to have a wonderful experience. Instead we left a day early due to poor service from the beach bar and ants, yes ants in the room, they started to spray while we were in the room and did not even offer us a complimentary drink or anything else for that matter. At the beach we noticed our cabana neighbors getting drinks and food, when we asked their server if we could get service, he said no, we were not in his service area. We put our "flag" up but absolutely nobody came to serve us while we watched others on the beach gets drinks and food all day. Save your money and go somewhere else.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank tonilugo1006
LoewsDonCeSar_1928, Manager at The Don CeSar, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
I apologize that your stay with us did not meet your expectations. We pride ourselves on providing nothing but the best of service to our guests, and it appears we were not able to deliver that level of service to you during you visit.

Thank you for bringing the issues you encountered to our attention.

Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Beautiful property, delicious food, good service. Spa was great. Fitness facilities were one of the best. Hotel was expensive, but we were celebrating my husband's birthday. Direct beach access!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple

1 Thank Monica R
We love birthday weekends!

I'm glad that you and your husband were able to enjoy our delicious food and service, fabulous beaches and, just as fabulous, our Spa Oceana.

Thanks for spending this special occasion with us and we hope to see you all again soon.

St Pete Beach
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Wonderful hotel, service was spot on, rooms very clean and beds you melted into at night. The beach was clean and inviting each morning. My only complaint was the additional charges for a chair and umbrella on the beach after paying for a room at the resort - we just walked back and forth from the pool. The service in the restaurants was quick and polite; we had no complaints. Drinks were a bit pricy but it is a resort and it's the convenience. We will return! Beautiful views, clean beach and pools, lovely grounds, friendly staff, wonderful stay.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple

1 Thank Kevin T L
I'm delighted that your anniversary with us was a memorable one!

We're happy to hear that our service was "on the spot," rooms were clean and that you found our staff friendly - that's what we strive for!

We look forward to welcoming you back!

Loews Don CeSar
Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

While I had a great time, it had nothing to do with the service or the hotel. Besides the bar, service was crap. Every interaction with the staff left me saying "really?!" They were rude, the tv didn't work on three separate occasions. Rooms

Stayed August 2014
5 Thank Audrey B
LoewsDonCeSar_1928, Manager at The Don CeSar, responded to this review, 3 August 2014
I'm sorry that you were disappointed with your recent stay at Loews Don CeSar.

We appreciate your feedback and apologize for any inconviences.

Regards,

Bradley Beach, New Jersey
Reviewed 1 August 2014 via mobile

We have stayed a few times before and the last time was 7 months ago. Up until then we thought this was a great place with only one bad incident that the manager on hand quickly rectified. Now 7 months later and I'm not sure what happened for it to go downhill so quickly. I will list the incidents as they occurred. We checked in to our king balcony room and immediately notice the chain latch was broken ( this was something they stated they were upgrading and was the only incident we had before when a bellman burst through our door and broke the locked chain) they had engineering come and put a screw in it. They offered to buy us a drink, I declined.
The room was set at 65 but felt quite warm so I set it to 60, no difference. I looked up at the intake vent and it was clogged solid with dust and mold, disgusting. I went down to the front desk and showed them the picture, the mortified desk clerk said they will take care of it right away, can I buy you drinks? I decline.
They changed the vent filter the room was a little cooler but not much, I decide to set the iPhone thermometer up and it reads 73 even though set to 60. We get up the next morning make coffee, set it on the desk and jump in the shower. We get out and there are paint chips on the desk, chair, floor and in our coffee. I look up and there's peeling paint and the start of peeling plaster underneath . I go down to the front desk and ask for a manager, she's in a meeting, I will get that fixed right away and can I buy you drinks? I decline. Following day we get back to our room to get ready for our favorite dinner at the chefs table at Maritana grill. My wife goes to take a shower and the water is brown. I tell her to leave it run a few minutes, no change. I go down to front desk show them the video and ask for the manager. She's in a meeting. We will send up engineering, can I buy you drinks? I decline. I go up the water is still running brown 20 minutes later. Engineering never showed but it cleared up after 35 minutes of the sink and tub running. We have our excellent meal at the chefs table and go to lobby bar for night caps. We have a bottle of wine I go to put my foot on the brass foot rail and it falls apart. We are done , let's go to bed. We go out the following day have a great time and get home at 1:30 am we want to jump in the shower , get into bed as we have to drive to south beach at 5:30 am. We turn on the water and realize there is not a single towel in the bathroom or the room for that matter. I call house keeping and ask what happened. He brings some towels up and I show him, he will tell management. We actually had a suite booked for this coming week of August 6th but cancelled and decided to try trade winds instead for less than half the price. I will post how that goes. I would like to say that even though the management and hotel upkeep has gone down hill the bar, restaurant & pool staff are all exceptional !!! Hopefully the hotel will get its act together.

Stayed July 2014
8 Thank Traveler260
I want to thank you for taking the time to bring these issues to our attention. I apologize for the challenges you encountered and we are looking further into these matters.

Loews DonCeSar Hotel