“Desirable, but not for dogs”
Review of The Don CeSar

The Don CeSar
Ranked #7 of 32 Hotels in St. Pete Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
Naples
“Desirable, but not for dogs”
Reviewed 5 August 2014

This is a very nice Loews hotel, with its historical significance and on-the-beach location as pluses. The staff was friendly and accommodating. The room and facilities were clean and up to date. Our west-facing room, however, even with the curtain drawn, would not cool down enough after two hours (90 degree outside temperature, high 70s inside). The dog experience was disappointing, compared to other Loews we've stayed at (Miami Beach, Atlanta). Cost of $45 per two dogs PER NIGHT (we have one) versus the other Loews (and stated Loews policy on the general website) at $25 PER STAY. And... the other Loews we've been to DO NOT restrict room availability... all rooms were available, unlike Don Cesar which restricts to the first floor. A partial ocean view room at Don Cesar means that you mostly look at a roof and A/C units, with a half distant view of the ocean over these obstructions. The staff, however, was very dog friendly and we got the usual bag of dog goodies. We left after two hours and were satisfied with the billing resolution. We would stay here in the future, but without our dog.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

LoewsDonCeSar_1928, Manager at The Don CeSar, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Thank you for sharing your feedback with us regarding your recent stay with your pets.

I'm happy that you appreciated our historical significance and liked our on-the-beach location. It's also great to hear that you found our staff friendly and accommodating.

I do apologize that your experience with your pets was not up to your expectations, and that you had issues witht he temperature of your room. It appears that everything was resolved to your satisfaction and we hope to welcome you back.

Regards,

Loews Don CeSar Hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (727)
Tallahassee
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Living in Florida we have many places to visit with in a few hours of home. If you want an unforgetable weekend get-away, Try the Don CeSar Hotel in St Pete Beach. This is the most elegant Hotels in Florida along with one of the most beautiful beaches you could but your toes in. The Don CeSar offers packages for all interest, go online to see all they offer. Try the "Hotel Sweet Spaliday" perfect for couples wanting to relax.

Room Tip: Check out the different packages
1 Thank Richard B
LoewsDonCeSar_1928, Manager at The Don CeSar, responded to this review, 10 August 2014
I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed your "Sweet Spaliday" getaway! You're right, you do have many vacation choices and we truly appreciate you selecting Loews Don CeSar as the place you enjoy putting your toes in the sand.

Thanks for the feedback and we hope to have the privilege to welcome you back to beautiful St. Pete Beach soon.

Cumming, Georgia
Reviewed 4 August 2014

The customer service at "The Don" is absolutely spectacular. THE ENTIRE STAFF always greets you with a warm and friendly smile. The outdoor service at the beach is incredible.
Michael,Jaffe, the talented guitar player/singer-hate I forgot to buy his CD, the valet service.....I wish I could remember all of the staff members for a shout out. The fitness staff were incredibly knowledgeable. We enjoyed our Yoga on the beach, thank you Wendy and loved our 10 am core class with Diane(?) Cant beat the beaches on St Pete and loved the paddle boards/jet skis. Spa/massage service awesome/thank you Caroline. Crab Cakes a must have at the restaurant. On the beach in a chair and need a smoothie? Raise a flag on your chair to order......Heaven. Re-entry to life/work was a tough one this time! Thank You Don Cesar.

Room Tip: There is NO bad room. All beautiful, open,clean & sunny.
Green Features: I was glad to find so many opportunities to recycle my plastic cups/coke cans. Definitely updated on recycling because of the bathroom friendly water saving technology.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank kittiemae2014
LoewsDonCeSar_1928, Manager at The Don CeSar, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
You got me thinking, we should offer a program in "How to get back to work after your Loews Don CeSar vacation!"

I'm so happy that you had such an absolutely spectacular experience. I know that our staff will appreciate hearing your very complimentary feedback.

Sounds like you had an opportunity to experience almost everything we have to offer! From morning yoga with Wendy to jet skis and SUP.

Thanks for staying with us and we hope to have the privilege to welcome you back soon.

Loews Don CeSar
Reviewed 4 August 2014

PROs:
Beautiful lobby, beach access, Sea Porch restaurant, ice cream shop and in room dining was good, Close to many very good restaurants (Guy Harvey, Snapper, Bueno Pizza and shops are must go-to's), service was great - especially the valet staff and waitresses! Nice outdoor bar (but pricey drinks - 2 drinks cost us $28). We enjoyed sitting on the balcony outside of the lobby bar. The spa is very nice, but the girl doing my mani/pedi seemed a bit snobby. Beds are comfortable. Beach is BEAUTIFUL, and sunset is AMAZING.

CONs:
Rooms are very small, and bathrooms are very small too. Pools were full of people, have to pay for a chair on the beach (other hotels do not charge to sit on a chair), seems like you are charged for everything, $25 fee daily basically for bottled water - unless you plan to go do yoga or something on the list (I wish this was a fee we could opt out of, or should include the beach chairs), Weekend was VERY busy!! They had 2 weddings on Saturday, so it seemed like people were everywhere. Not to mention someone setting off the Fire alarm at 3 am. The room never seemed to get cold - I don't know if there was an air conditioning problem or not, but I had it set as cool as it would get, and on hi - and it never seemed to get below 74 degrees. We even kept the curtains closed to try and keep it cooler in there. Elevators were slow and always full.

Overall we had a nice vacation. I had a little higher hopes for the hotel itself, but the staff was great! And there is plenty great food and things to see and do close-by.

Room Tip: Remember if you go through a 3rd party to book your vacation...your room is never guaranteed. We boo...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
LoewsDonCeSar_1928, Manager at The Don CeSar, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
We appreciate you taking the time to share your Pro's and Con's relating to your recent visit with us at Loews Don CeSar Hotel.

I'm glad you enjoyed our various restaurants (including ice cream in Uncle Andy's!) and had the opportunity to explore some of the other dining options in the neighborhood. Sounds like you enjoyed your "taste" of St. Pete Beach.

I'm sorry that you had issues with your air conditioning, and were unhappy with some of our other fees, but happy to hear that you had a nice vacation. Moving forward, you may want to visit our website and see some of the many vacation package options we offer. Some include everything from parking and beach chairs to spa services - even sunset cruises!

Thanks again for your feedback and we truly appreciate your business.

Regards,

Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed 4 August 2014

My family and I just returned from a week vacation at the Don, my husband, daughter 9, and son 5. I booked directly from the Loews website and used my AAA card to receive a good rate and booked a Deluxe Junior King room. I had a hard time finding the location, pictures, & reviews for this room type. However, the pictures look the same as the Junior suite online. This room is perfect for a family, very spacious and the sofa turns into a queen bed. However, I debated back & forth with the room, I like to have a balcony and I also want an ocean view room, although, I didn't want to spend $500+ a night for a suite and balcony. I decided I would forgo an oceanview room to have a balcony. Be aware that the majority of the rooms have no balcony, unless you want to spend $$$ for an ocean view and balcony. We ended up on the 4th floor with a view of the city, which is mainly the parking lot of the Don, the surrounding neighborhood and waterways. The view wouldn't have been bad if we didn't have the parking lot as our main view. I liked that Loews emails you a few days prior to your trip to upgrade your room. We decided to upgrade to an upper floor for the same room type for an additional $23 night. I'm glad I did, because I wouldn't have wanted to be on any lower floor, since you would be above street level.

The Don is a beautiful hotel, on a great beach with beautiful white sand. The water is calm, with quite a bit of seaweed and green water instead of the beautiful blue water on the east coast that I prefer. However, we played in the ocean everyday going back and forth between pool and beach throughout the day. The pools have plenty of chairs and service. We had excellent service everyday at the pool. We ate lunch at the pool almost everyday, by the end of the week we were tired of the food. One day we rented a beach bed which was a splurge at $125 but worth it for at least one day, there is also beach service for food and drinks.

I was disappointed in the amount of restaurants, there are only 2 restaurants 3 if you count the pool. One morning we ate at the Sea Porch restaurant and there was a 45 minute wait to receive a table, I don't know if they were short handed or that's normal. We did not have breakfast again at the Sea Porch for this reason. They have Uncle Andy's Ice Cream shop which was great, however, I wish they had more breakfast choices and other snacks. We did not try Maritana Grill since we felt it wasn't kid friendly.

Overall we had a great trip, would we come here again? Yes, to the hotel I'm not sure about the area of St. Pete. I was kind of disappointed with the area, I was expecting much better restaurants and maybe better shopping. Loews is by far the best hotel in the area and you won't be disappointed if you stay here.

I gave the Don 4 stars because of the lack of restaurants and choices for food at the hotel, other than that everything else was fine. If it was possible to give 4 1/2 stars I would.

Room Tip: If you can afford an ocean view/ocean front room it would be worth it. Otherwise you will more than...
Green Features: There are recycle containers throughout the hotel.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
LoewsDonCeSar_1928, Manager at The Don CeSar, responded to this review, 9 August 2014
Thanks for spending your summer vacation with us! I'm happy that you and your family had a great visit and had a fun time enjoying our award-winning beach and fun pool area!

Sorry that you did not feel we offered enough dining options. In addition to the restaurants you mentioned, we also serve a fun menu in Sunsets (located behind the Sea Porch). We also serve some tasty bites in the Lobby Bar. And, if you want to dine on your pool chair, or the beach, just raise your "personal" service flag and one of our attendants will be right over to get you whatever you're in the mood for- from a frozen cocktail, smoothie or yummy sandwich.

As for things to do in the area, there is a lot. From the charming Pass-A-Grille Historic District to Shopping on Corey Avenue. If you really want to see some sights, take our FREE shuttle to downtown St. Pete, where you'll find an abundance of arts, culture, shopping and dining. There are craft breweries on every corner, the fabulous Dali Museum and much more!

Hopefully we'll have the privilege of welcoming you back again, and you and your family can discover all that we have to offer!

Thanks for sharing your comments. See you on the beach!

Orlando Fl
Reviewed 4 August 2014

This fabulous hotel wasn't shining last weekend. The grounds are gorgeous , but some of the staff needs improving. For the price and the extra $ 25 resort fee, Let's clean up the pool area, add more chaises, etc.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

I apologize that you felt that the Pink Palace was not shining its best during your recent visit, which left you feeling somewhat disappointed.

I appreciate you bringing this to our attention.

Loews Don CeSa Hotel
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 3 August 2014

This hotel was a HUGE disappointment!!!! My husband and I never had a honeymoon so we went there expecting to have a wonderful experience. Instead we left a day early due to poor service from the beach bar and ants, yes ants in the room, they started to spray while we were in the room and did not even offer us a complimentary drink or anything else for that matter. At the beach we noticed our cabana neighbors getting drinks and food, when we asked their server if we could get service, he said no, we were not in his service area. We put our "flag" up but absolutely nobody came to serve us while we watched others on the beach gets drinks and food all day. Save your money and go somewhere else.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank tonilugo1006
I apologize that your stay with us did not meet your expectations. We pride ourselves on providing nothing but the best of service to our guests, and it appears we were not able to deliver that level of service to you during you visit.

Thank you for bringing the issues you encountered to our attention.

Also consider these accommodations in or near St. Pete Beach
Sirata Beach Resort
#14 of 32 in St. Pete Beach
Grand Plaza Beachfront Resort Hotel & Conference Center
Guy Harvey Outpost, a TradeWinds Beach Resort

Been to The Don CeSar? Share your experiences!