“overall a decent hotel”

Howard Johnson Resort Hotel - ST. Pete Beach FL
Ranked #25 of 32 Hotels in St. Pete Beach
Reviewed 12 March 2012

We returned to St. Pete Beach looking for more of a value this time around and I think we got what we paid for. As someone said before, if you're looking for a 5 star resort this isn't it. The rooms are in need of attention and are best suited for those who just want a place to sleep. But I'd also note that working front desk at a 3-star hotel in my town has taught me that big corporations often overlook their smaller hotels..The staff is incredibly friendly and you can tell they're trying hard to work with what they've got.

The pool area was great and the location couldn't have been better. We walked everywhere and didn't use our car the whole stay. I'd say all in all (outside of the rooms needing updating which is usually out of the staff's control) it's a decent 3-star hotel with a few perks!

Room Tip: Avoid rooms ending in 15 (115, 215, etc.) if you absolutely need wifi. These rooms are a dead zone f...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Howard Johnson Resort Hotel - ST. Pete Beach FL

Reviewed 11 March 2012

I found a deal for the Howard Johnson. It was about $40 per night cheaper than the next cheapest place I could find, and that place was not on the beach. We have stayed at other hotels on St. Pete Beach (The Tradewinds Sandpiper and The Beachcomber), and the Howard Johnson is comparable in terms of cleanliness and proximity to the beach, The Tradewinds Sandpiper has more ammenities, but is a lot more expensive. Thhe Beachcomber is basically comparable to the Howard Johnson on every item (decor, ammenities, service, cleanliness, etc.) and sometimes more expensive. I was a bit scared when I read other reviews about lack of cleanliness and bugs, but we experienced none of these issues in our stay. The staff was friendly and let me check in a bit early. We are planning to stay here again in a few months given that this place is the cheapest and we know our stay will be of high quality. The location is also great. Close proximity to many restaurants and bars and has great beach access. The beach bar behind the Howard Johnson also has some games they will let you borrow, which was nice.

Room Tip: You'll pay more for oceanview, but if you really want it, make sure to get a higher floor (3-5...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank majmcd
Reviewed 9 March 2012

If your looking for a 5 star resort look somewhere else. If you are looking for an affordable oceanfront hotel with a pool, and tiki bar then this is it. Talk to Sweet Sue when making reservations. The place is clean and right in the heart of a lot of action. Probably would eat somewhere else as far as dinner is concerned, but the tiki bar is great, nice staff and great prices. You can walk to great little outdoor oceanfront breakfast place, and a number of other restraunts. Say hi to Erin or Shawn in the tiki bar, tell them Big Daddy says hi!

Room Tip: ask for oceanfront
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 March 2012

We were looking for a hotel in St. Pete Beach for several days while we visited family in February. This is the "high season" in St. Pete Beach and hotels are typically pricier than other times of the year. After searches on all the travel sites, I found a great rate on the Howard Johnson website for their hotel on St. Pete Beach and booked it. Their location right on the beach is a plus for us but the rooms were disappointing - definitely due for an updating of the guestrooms and hallways. Our room was on the north side of the building and the lights from the adjacent hotel's parking area shone into our room at night and the window in our room did not have blackout curtains - good thing I brought my eye shade!

For those who have never stayed in St. Pete Beach, noise is a negative factor because most of the hotels along the beach- not just Howard Johnson's - are in close proximity to one another.

Room Tip: Do not stay on the north side of the building.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 March 2012

Ok so I was a little scared when I booked this hotel but gotta say it was the best who cares if its outdated its clean peaceful and relaxing and the front desk is awesome every employee I seen smiled said hello and were pleasant I will definitly be back thanks for making my stay awesome!!!

• Stayed: February 2012
2  Thank pegsbrand
Reviewed 8 February 2012

Right on St. Pete's Beach. Best sunsets ever. Room was big and clean. Easy access to the beach. Centrally located. Good value. Staff was very friendly. Very nice pool area. I loved the classic beach bar behind the hotel. All private balconies, but those that do not face the beach are small. Just go out to the beach.

Room Tip: Book ahead online adn for a few dollars more, get a beach front room
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank NickM53
Reviewed 9 December 2011

We stayed here back in 2003 the place is pretty much the same as then, looks like they painted the exterior and redid the pool area, did a great job there.
Rooms are older, showing their age but clean and comfortable.
Staff are friendly and helpful.
Parking and Wi-Fi are free here, a big plus.
There is NO Resort fee at this place, one of the reasons I chose it. Just next door, they charge $25 a day, to park and have Wi-Fi. Most places on the strip have a charge.
My favorite part had to be the pool area, nicer than most places. Very large with Tiki Huts, Shuffleboard and Splash Bar is right there. The Gulf is only steps away.
Another plus was the other hotel next door to the North, has two live bands daily outdoors on their Beach Bar Deck. We went there a few times and enjoyed the music.
Awesome Sunsets!
Many very good restaurants with in walking distance.

Room Tip: Get a room on the South side if you want a sunny balcony. The North side is shaded.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple