“Had a nice stay but could have been way better.” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Howard Johnson Resort Hotel - ST. Pete Beach FL

Howard Johnson Resort Hotel - ST. Pete Beach FL
Ranked #23 of 32 Hotels in St. Pete Beach
“Had a nice stay but could have been way better.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2012

My whole family stayed at this hotel for my 20th birthday vacation. Considering some of us were on a budget but wanted to get the most out our vacation on the beach we researched TONS AND TONS of hotels. After calling HJ, the reservationist said the 2bdrm 2bath suit w kitchen(I was booking for only my family if 3 & parents only, but my sister also stayed there) was the best value. She told me BOTH rooms had private beachfront balconies and access to the hall. Well they did not. My mom was really looking forward to having beachfront and we were so disappointed. When I called the front desk to ask if we could find another room the girl was VERY rude. She said, " Well, I don't know what you want me to do." She was also rude to my parents (who are very old school and still use maps) when they asked for directions. The rooms were clean white sheets, flat screen tv's but nooooo channels, there is an hdmi hookup for gaming consoles or DVD players. They have free parking and Internet but it's so slow I didn't use it. There is a game room, beach bar, and kiddie pool. It's a great location and the city of St Pete was AMAZING!! All the activities around the area made our vacation great, had it not been for the sweet people in the city our stay would have not been worth it. We will be going bback to st Pete beach just not the HoJo.

• Stayed July 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (206)
Dayton, Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2012

My mom and I stayed here after leaving another hotel down the street (because it was noisy and the sink and toilet did not work).

We did try to get rooms in several other hotels but they were booked. Sue at the front desk was very friendly and helpful when checking in. She also suggested a couple places for dinner.

The room was very clean, large and comfortable, and had a fridge and microwave. If you wanted to use the safe there was a fee for the lock. We had a small balcony, too. The lock on the sliding glass door did not catch all the way, but there was another bar/latch device that was sturdy and secure.

We did not use the pool because it was raining the day we were there, but it looked nice. The hotel is right on the beach. Parking was included, as were snacks for breakfast (bagels, packaged danish, etc.).

While the restaurant appeared to have been closed for some time, it was not an issue because there are restaurants all over the place. I don't understand why some people have complained about the restaurant being closed--there are tons within walking distance so nobody is going to go hungry or be very inconvenienced to eat.

We were able to use the business center to print off directions and boarding passes. Wi-Fi worked reliably for free in our room.

This is a basic hotel and was suitable for our needs. We would return.

Room Tip: Most all seem to face parking lots
Louisville, Kentucky
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2012

We were very disappointed once we got there. The room was clean and the halls smelled good. The path to the beach was dirty and smelled bad. We were told we could go next door for drinks and down the street for food. They did not offer us any comp. for one drink next door. It was funny, the bar next door was one of the hotels we almost visited, but we went with Howard Johnson because they are a chain, with what we thought would be a top notch place.
We were giving false info, though the website we booked though and Howard Johnson. Both the bar & restuarant had been closed for a while, not like the day before we got there. Also the pool, nice pool and area around the pool. There is a big sign stating they check to see if you are a paying guest. We were down there all day and no one came around to check for passes. We had to leave because there was so many kids and alduts that we feel were not guest, we did not see them inside the hotel once. Since we had to leave the property to get our own drinks & food, we were in & out alot.
We did make a complainant with Howard Johnson and no one as return our email...

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these St. Pete Beach hotels

Orlando, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2012

I booked this hotel online after quite a bit of searching. The pool and beach location were the selling points for me and my son, the price wasnt bad either. I booked a room faceing the parking lot and decided once we arrived to upgrade to a room facing the gulf and pool. I was told the difference was newer furniture, flatscreen tv and a microwave in the room along with the added veiw...well the the bathroom needs redoing, microwave is big enough for a bag of popcorn and the furniture is seventies style I hate to see what the down size looks like if this is the upgrade. The pool area was nice but the tiki bar was closed and the restrooms were "NASTY"!!!!.....I contacted the manager who said she would take care of it I didnt check! My son and his friend had a good time other wise...pretty close to food but not much offered by the hotel.

Room Tip: u get what u pay for but not really
Miramar, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2012

We stayed for two nights (July 8th and 9th). The price including taxes came out to be 144 per night. It was one of the cheapest hotels in the area. Our room was very plain and dated. The carpet had a rip in it and the bathroom was certainly old. The air conditioning thermostat had a very small range and kept on going on and off all night every two minutes. The worst part of the trip was that someone was cooking in another room and burned their bacon. Smoke filled the hallways and we thought the building was on fire. The rest of our stay included smoke smelling halls.
With regards to room service, we received a knock about 10:30 am. We were not ready and I requested for her to come back to only make our beds. She never came back. Would I stay here again? Only if I did not have another choice. The hotel I normally stay in was out of my price range for this weekend.

Saint Albans, WV
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2012

My husband and I stayed July 3-5 for the 4th celebration.. We got to the hotel early around 11:00 AM - our room was not ready which we figured - but they let us park and use the pool and beach til our room was ready which we checked in at 12:30 - They have a changing area to get in your bathing suits and the bathroom by the pool was one of the nastiest bathrooms I have ever seen. But again - the maids may have not cleaned it yet from the night before and people who use the bathroom don't have to be so dirty and miss the seat (woman's bathroom). The beach real nice, pretty, crowded, and you can rent the lounge chairs for $20.00 a day. One big disappointment was both bars on the facility have been closed. I always enjoy a beach bar to get a quick lunch and cold drinks. The rooms were nice and clean and most have a balcony. The front desk was pretty nice and helpful - could be a little nicer. The breakfast in the morning is bagles, wrapped muffins, fruit and coffee. They have juice but you have to ask for it and seems to bother them to have to get up and walk and get it for you. Overall I say average because it is a typical hotel room and service - the price is ok and its on beachfront, the pool my opinion was small but had enough seats to layout or sit at the table. At night it is noisy but we were there the 4th of July but you could hear everyone and it sounded like they were right outside your door; you could also here every door shut. But I would recommend it and prob come back and stay. nice location and you can see fireworks from everywhere!! One thing to check out - the hotel beside us has a bar called Jimmy B's thats nice but can be expensive - they say one price but then its another!!! Hope this help you making a decsion where to stay at St Pete Beach!!!!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Washington, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2012

Stayed for a family vacation(june 2012) when we checked in the clerk wanted to "upgrade us". We did take the "upgrade" but entered our room that was exactly the same as others......so much for an "upgrade". We later noticed that the sliding door lock was hanging loosely off of the wall and the headboard was leaning and unsecured. We called to get it all fixed and the maintenance had to have my husband help witht the headboard so that he could fix it. We tried to go to dinner but both restuarants were closed for our entire stay(the pool grill and the dining room) which was very disappointing. Lastly, at 9:30 at night while we were getting off to bed from a long day, SOMEONE ENTERED MY ROOM! The front desk had given them a key card and had even written my room number on the case! Needless to say my son was scared from that moment on and we put our belonging in the car for safety. We attempted to find other accom. but spent 2 hrs of doing so unsuccessfully. The manager did take one night off of our bill but that was all. I contacted Wyndam and they were rude and laughed when I told them that someone entered my room. NEVER again. It was dirty, UNSAFE and rude. My money is good elsewhere.

Room Tip: NO rooms at this hotel would be safe if the staff makes mistakes like this
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family