“Unfavorable conditions”

Howard Johnson Resort Hotel - ST. Pete Beach FL
Ranked #25 of 32 Hotels in St. Pete Beach
Reviewed 2 August 2012

The worst customer service I have ever seen. No electric in my room. Was never advised about closing of the restaurant or tiki bar and im on vacation with my family. Construction right outside my balcony so loud that we have to yell to hear one another. When comfronting the front desk Cynthia was so rude saying she didnt know what to tell us we were not getting our money back and she was calling the police. Really I WILL never stay here again.

Room Tip: do not come here for business!
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Tracy M
Robin N, General Manager at Howard Johnson Resort Hotel - ST. Pete Beach FL, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2012

Thank you for your response. Your information is very valuable in our continual growth. We apologize for the inconvenience that our closed restaurant and bar presented your family. Our new restaurant and bar will be open this next month. We also apologize for the less than satisfactory customer service that you received. We will share your comments with our staff in order to improve. We hope that you will at some point reconsider and give us another opportunity.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,432)

Reviewed 23 July 2012

The good: hotel pool, front desk staff, location, price. The bad: beds way to soft, smell in room, walls are paper thin, can hear everything going on in the next room, pool bar closed, path to beach smelly not maintained.

Reviewed 20 July 2012

My whole family stayed at this hotel for my 20th birthday vacation. Considering some of us were on a budget but wanted to get the most out our vacation on the beach we researched TONS AND TONS of hotels. After calling HJ, the reservationist said the 2bdrm 2bath suit w kitchen(I was booking for only my family if 3 & parents only, but my sister also stayed there) was the best value. She told me BOTH rooms had private beachfront balconies and access to the hall. Well they did not. My mom was really looking forward to having beachfront and we were so disappointed. When I called the front desk to ask if we could find another room the girl was VERY rude. She said, " Well, I don't know what you want me to do." She was also rude to my parents (who are very old school and still use maps) when they asked for directions. The rooms were clean white sheets, flat screen tv's but nooooo channels, there is an hdmi hookup for gaming consoles or DVD players. They have free parking and Internet but it's so slow I didn't use it. There is a game room, beach bar, and kiddie pool. It's a great location and the city of St Pete was AMAZING!! All the activities around the area made our vacation great, had it not been for the sweet people in the city our stay would have not been worth it. We will be going bback to st Pete beach just not the HoJo.

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed 20 July 2012

My mom and I stayed here after leaving another hotel down the street (because it was noisy and the sink and toilet did not work).

We did try to get rooms in several other hotels but they were booked. Sue at the front desk was very friendly and helpful when checking in. She also suggested a couple places for dinner.

The room was very clean, large and comfortable, and had a fridge and microwave. If you wanted to use the safe there was a fee for the lock. We had a small balcony, too. The lock on the sliding glass door did not catch all the way, but there was another bar/latch device that was sturdy and secure.

We did not use the pool because it was raining the day we were there, but it looked nice. The hotel is right on the beach. Parking was included, as were snacks for breakfast (bagels, packaged danish, etc.).

While the restaurant appeared to have been closed for some time, it was not an issue because there are restaurants all over the place. I don't understand why some people have complained about the restaurant being closed--there are tons within walking distance so nobody is going to go hungry or be very inconvenienced to eat.

We were able to use the business center to print off directions and boarding passes. Wi-Fi worked reliably for free in our room.

This is a basic hotel and was suitable for our needs. We would return.

Room Tip: Most all seem to face parking lots
Reviewed 17 July 2012

We were very disappointed once we got there. The room was clean and the halls smelled good. The path to the beach was dirty and smelled bad. We were told we could go next door for drinks and down the street for food. They did not offer us any comp. for one drink next door. It was funny, the bar next door was one of the hotels we almost visited, but we went with Howard Johnson because they are a chain, with what we thought would be a top notch place.
We were giving false info, though the website we booked though and Howard Johnson. Both the bar & restuarant had been closed for a while, not like the day before we got there. Also the pool, nice pool and area around the pool. There is a big sign stating they check to see if you are a paying guest. We were down there all day and no one came around to check for passes. We had to leave because there was so many kids and alduts that we feel were not guest, we did not see them inside the hotel once. Since we had to leave the property to get our own drinks & food, we were in & out alot.
We did make a complainant with Howard Johnson and no one as return our email...

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 July 2012

I booked this hotel online after quite a bit of searching. The pool and beach location were the selling points for me and my son, the price wasnt bad either. I booked a room faceing the parking lot and decided once we arrived to upgrade to a room facing the gulf and pool. I was told the difference was newer furniture, flatscreen tv and a microwave in the room along with the added veiw...well the the bathroom needs redoing, microwave is big enough for a bag of popcorn and the furniture is seventies style I hate to see what the down size looks like if this is the upgrade. The pool area was nice but the tiki bar was closed and the restrooms were "NASTY"!!!!.....I contacted the manager who said she would take care of it I didnt check! My son and his friend had a good time other wise...pretty close to food but not much offered by the hotel.

Room Tip: u get what u pay for but not really
Reviewed 10 July 2012

We stayed for two nights (July 8th and 9th). The price including taxes came out to be 144 per night. It was one of the cheapest hotels in the area. Our room was very plain and dated. The carpet had a rip in it and the bathroom was certainly old. The air conditioning thermostat had a very small range and kept on going on and off all night every two minutes. The worst part of the trip was that someone was cooking in another room and burned their bacon. Smoke filled the hallways and we thought the building was on fire. The rest of our stay included smoke smelling halls.
With regards to room service, we received a knock about 10:30 am. We were not ready and I requested for her to come back to only make our beds. She never came back. Would I stay here again? Only if I did not have another choice. The hotel I normally stay in was out of my price range for this weekend.