“We had a one night stay here on Friday August 3rd, 2012.”

Howard Johnson Resort Hotel - ST. Pete Beach FL
Ranked #23 of 32 Hotels in St. Pete Beach
Gainesville Florida
“We had a one night stay here on Friday August 3rd, 2012.”
Reviewed 5 August 2012

We were going to a 7:00PMTampa Bay Rays baseball game at Tropicana Field in St. Petersburg so we planned to arrive in town a little early, meet some friends on the beach for some sun and fun and then head to the game. Since the game was the focus of the trip our beach visit took a back seat and so did the beach budget. This waterfront hotel has the lowest rates we could find on St. Pete Beach and that can often mean trouble ahead. We had read the recent reviews on Trip Advisor and we were prepared for the worst. Our reservations were made through AARP Travel powered by Expedia. We checked in at 3PM with a very friendly front desk staff. We bought the in room safe access which is well worth the $1.00 fee. Room 210 was in good condition. This room faces the north and is not a waterfront view. We counted 25 waterfront rooms at this property. The entry to room 210 has a tile floor with a sink outside the bathroom, mini fridge, microwave and coffee maker plus a large open closet. The tile floor ended as you move into the main room where the floor covering was a tight pile carpet in like new condition. Tile picked up again where the exterior sliding glass door and the A/C unit shared the north wall. Furniture was in good condition and the room had a flat screen TV. TV reception varied depending on which station you viewed but we were too busy to watch TV. The bathroom had a sink, classic tub, shower and commode. The building is old but we feel the owners are doing a pretty good job keeping the place up. Beach access was easy and St. Pete Beach is really one of the finest beaches in the country. The Gulf waters are gentle and warm fronted by a mix of white powder sand with a fair mix of crushed shell. There are many shells that the beginning collector would keep. Construction workers were working on the pool/beach grill, bar and I would bet that facility will be open soon. We walked through the pool area and it was in good condition. Landscaping between the hotel and the pool was looking good. If you can find a waterfront resort on St. Pete Beach for a better price you should consider yourself lucky. We were expecting the worst and we were pleasantly surprised at our comfortable and economical one night stay. If we were on a tight budget and wanted good beach access we would, no doubt, return to this resort.

Room Tip: Room 210 was fine.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Robin N, General Manager at Howard Johnson Resort Hotel - ST. Pete Beach FL, responded to this review, 29 August 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We are indeed opening our new beach bar and restaurant this next month. We look forward to your next visit.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (211)
Pompano Beach, Florida, United States
Reviewed 2 August 2012

The worst customer service I have ever seen. No electric in my room. Was never advised about closing of the restaurant or tiki bar and im on vacation with my family. Construction right outside my balcony so loud that we have to yell to hear one another. When comfronting the front desk Cynthia was so rude saying she didnt know what to tell us we were not getting our money back and she was calling the police. Really I WILL never stay here again.

Room Tip: do not come here for business!
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Tracy M
Thank you for your response. Your information is very valuable in our continual growth. We apologize for the inconvenience that our closed restaurant and bar presented your family. Our new restaurant and bar will be open this next month. We also apologize for the less than satisfactory customer service that you received. We will share your comments with our staff in order to improve. We hope that you will at some point reconsider and give us another opportunity.

Travellers are raving about these St. Pete Beach hotels

Naples, fl
Reviewed 23 July 2012

The good: hotel pool, front desk staff, location, price. The bad: beds way to soft, smell in room, walls are paper thin, can hear everything going on in the next room, pool bar closed, path to beach smelly not maintained.

Reviewed 20 July 2012

My whole family stayed at this hotel for my 20th birthday vacation. Considering some of us were on a budget but wanted to get the most out our vacation on the beach we researched TONS AND TONS of hotels. After calling HJ, the reservationist said the 2bdrm 2bath suit w kitchen(I was booking for only my family if 3 & parents only, but my sister also stayed there) was the best value. She told me BOTH rooms had private beachfront balconies and access to the hall. Well they did not. My mom was really looking forward to having beachfront and we were so disappointed. When I called the front desk to ask if we could find another room the girl was VERY rude. She said, " Well, I don't know what you want me to do." She was also rude to my parents (who are very old school and still use maps) when they asked for directions. The rooms were clean white sheets, flat screen tv's but nooooo channels, there is an hdmi hookup for gaming consoles or DVD players. They have free parking and Internet but it's so slow I didn't use it. There is a game room, beach bar, and kiddie pool. It's a great location and the city of St Pete was AMAZING!! All the activities around the area made our vacation great, had it not been for the sweet people in the city our stay would have not been worth it. We will be going bback to st Pete beach just not the HoJo.

• Stayed July 2012
Dayton, Ohio
Reviewed 20 July 2012

My mom and I stayed here after leaving another hotel down the street (because it was noisy and the sink and toilet did not work).

We did try to get rooms in several other hotels but they were booked. Sue at the front desk was very friendly and helpful when checking in. She also suggested a couple places for dinner.

The room was very clean, large and comfortable, and had a fridge and microwave. If you wanted to use the safe there was a fee for the lock. We had a small balcony, too. The lock on the sliding glass door did not catch all the way, but there was another bar/latch device that was sturdy and secure.

We did not use the pool because it was raining the day we were there, but it looked nice. The hotel is right on the beach. Parking was included, as were snacks for breakfast (bagels, packaged danish, etc.).

While the restaurant appeared to have been closed for some time, it was not an issue because there are restaurants all over the place. I don't understand why some people have complained about the restaurant being closed--there are tons within walking distance so nobody is going to go hungry or be very inconvenienced to eat.

We were able to use the business center to print off directions and boarding passes. Wi-Fi worked reliably for free in our room.

This is a basic hotel and was suitable for our needs. We would return.

Room Tip: Most all seem to face parking lots
Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed 17 July 2012

We were very disappointed once we got there. The room was clean and the halls smelled good. The path to the beach was dirty and smelled bad. We were told we could go next door for drinks and down the street for food. They did not offer us any comp. for one drink next door. It was funny, the bar next door was one of the hotels we almost visited, but we went with Howard Johnson because they are a chain, with what we thought would be a top notch place.
We were giving false info, though the website we booked though and Howard Johnson. Both the bar & restuarant had been closed for a while, not like the day before we got there. Also the pool, nice pool and area around the pool. There is a big sign stating they check to see if you are a paying guest. We were down there all day and no one came around to check for passes. We had to leave because there was so many kids and alduts that we feel were not guest, we did not see them inside the hotel once. Since we had to leave the property to get our own drinks & food, we were in & out alot.
We did make a complainant with Howard Johnson and no one as return our email...

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 16 July 2012

I booked this hotel online after quite a bit of searching. The pool and beach location were the selling points for me and my son, the price wasnt bad either. I booked a room faceing the parking lot and decided once we arrived to upgrade to a room facing the gulf and pool. I was told the difference was newer furniture, flatscreen tv and a microwave in the room along with the added veiw...well the the bathroom needs redoing, microwave is big enough for a bag of popcorn and the furniture is seventies style I hate to see what the down size looks like if this is the upgrade. The pool area was nice but the tiki bar was closed and the restrooms were "NASTY"!!!!.....I contacted the manager who said she would take care of it I didnt check! My son and his friend had a good time other wise...pretty close to food but not much offered by the hotel.

Room Tip: u get what u pay for but not really