“Good location, right price!”

Howard Johnson Resort Hotel - ST. Pete Beach FL
Ranked #25 of 32 Hotels in St. Pete Beach
Reviewed 25 June 2013

We were a little wary of staying here, due to some of the other reviews, but I have no complaints regarding our stay. My two friends and I stayed at this hotel Thursday-Sunday this past week to attend a wedding at a nearby hotel.

Check in was smooth and the staff was very nice-- they even let us check in early, which was awesome. I booked it through one of the travel sites and recieved a rate at least $20/night cheaper than neighboring hotels.

The pool area was nice-- the water was a too warm to be refreshing in 90* weather, but I suppose that is probably beyond anyone's control. They do not allow coolers in that area, but staffing there is very lax and guests can BYOB. We had no trouble finding chairs or shaded areas to settle into.

There is bar/restaurant called the Toasted Monkey attached to this hotel. We had lunch there, when we first arrived and the food was great. Reasonable prices and nice, homemade, delicious food. They have live bands and no cover daily for the beach bar side of the restaurant as well.

Rooms were comfortable -- they had nice decor and ceiling fans in addition to working air conditioning, microwave, and mini fridge. No noise complaints or anything- we were on the 5th floor, which seemed a little newer than some of the other ones. Beds were comfortable enough, although the pillows were pretty stiff. I just used one from home, so I reccommend bringing your own!

Beach area was nice and not crowded at all.

As for location, this hotel seemed to be right in the middle of the beachfront hotel strip. There were a lot of bars, restaurants, and a 7/11 all within walking distance. I would definately stay here again.. the rooms were clean and comfortable, location was good, and the price was very reasonable for the area.

Room Tip: Bring your own pillow!
1  Thank SaraBeth2005
Robin N, General Manager at Howard Johnson Resort Hotel - ST. Pete Beach FL, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2013

I am very glad that you found the staff at Howard Johnson St. Pete Beach nice and that check-in was "smooth". The pool area is definitely a favorite with our guests even if it does get a bit warm in the summer. Since we do have such a wonderful pool/beach bar we definitely do not allow cooler near our pool area. We do patrol the area more frequently to make sure everyone is complying. It seems to help everyone including the kids to have a good time free of disturbances.

It is wonderful that you enjoyed the daily and nightly music at the beach bar. It is a great place to chill and enjoy the sunset. I will be very happy to share with the restaurant that you enjoyed their wonderful food. I will also be happy to share with my staff your kind words regarding your nice room and comfortable bed. I hope that we will see you again in the near future.

Reviewed 21 June 2013

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson
Robin N, General Manager at Howard Johnson Resort Hotel - ST. Pete Beach FL, responded to this reviewResponded 27 July 2013

Reviewed 21 June 2013

I was very disappointed in this location. Once we walked into the room we had a feeling it might be a rough stay, the walls are paper thin and you can hear everything around you. The lock on the glass door didn't work so you had to make sure the bar was in place to ensure it was secure. The bathroom floor was dirty with hair and dirt still on the floor. There was some type of paint or lipstick on the wall and some other general run down conditions. I read about it before I went but thought a two night stay wouldn't be too bad. The icing on the cake was that the house cleaning staff left the master key in our door - our stuff could have been stolen as well as any room around us. Glad we were honest people or we could have made out like bandits. The hair dryer popped while I was drying my hair as well. Only bright spot of this hotel other than being on the beach was the beach bar...Toasted Monkey - loved it!
Understand that if you are looking for a quiet time, this isn't the place. If you are looking for a place to crash and party and don't care about the rooms...go for it but be warned.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the top floor, at least you won't have people banging above you and you probab...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple

I am sorry that you did not enjoy your visit with us. We are currently planning to begin some renovations later this year. I hope that you will visit us again and experience the updates.

Reviewed 20 June 2013

Just got home from from a 4 night stay on business. I like the staff at HoJo St Pete Beach. Nice people from the front desk to housekeeping to the staff at the beach bar. The location is top, the rooms are large with great AC ,a little dated but beds are great and AC is awesome. For the rate you can beat it. All rooms have balcony and 2 chairs with table, microwave, coffee maker (did not use it and there's coffee in the lobby). Bar closes about 10:30 off peak, not sure when its season but probably later. You can drive to anything and walk as well to most. Right on the gulf, nice crowd. If your fussy or snobby this isn't for you and frankly,,we don't want you there just relax and have fun. Great huge pool and happy families !!!

Room Tip: Quiet not gulf front front because its close to bar.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Joopola

I am so glad that you enjoyed Howard Johnson St. Pete Beach. Thank you for your kind words regarding my nice staff. I will share your gracious comments with them. Our hotel is indeed located directly on the Gulf and I am happy that you enjoyed.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business