Howard Johnson Resort Hotel - ST. Pete Beach FL
Ranked #25 of 32 Hotels in St. Pete Beach
Reviewed 6 November 2013

My wife and I have been staying at this location in the late fall for the past 10 years or so, they've done a good job at updating some things, the beach bar and the restaurant are now really hoppin'.
The staff, as usual, is helpful and nice.
The rooms are good, not spectacular but for the price they're quite adequate. We enjoyed our stay and will be back again.

1  Thank Dave H
Robin N, General Manager at Howard Johnson Resort Hotel - ST. Pete Beach FL, responded to this reviewResponded 8 November 2013

Thank you for you kind comments regarding the updates at Howard Johnson St. Pete Beach. We are very thankful and honored with your continued visits. We hope to see you in the near future.

There are newer reviews for Howard Johnson Resort Hotel - ST. Pete Beach FL

Reviewed 4 November 2013

WE have stayed at this property several times and are pleased each time we visit. The rooms are very comfortable with good maid service. Everyone was very accommodating from the time we checked in until check out. The rooms are dated as this an older property on the beach but they are continually upgrading. The view of the pool and beach are outstanding with a beautiful beach to enjoy. The beds are very comfortable and the rooms are large. Will be back again next year to enjoy the spectacular sunsets and relaxing atmosphere.

Room Tip: Call ahead to book a room with a gulf view. They are limited and sell out fast. There is a premium i...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Fishfdr
Robin N, General Manager at Howard Johnson Resort Hotel - ST. Pete Beach FL, responded to this reviewResponded 6 November 2013

I am glad that you were once again "pleased" with your visit at Howard Johnson St. Pete Beach. I will be sure to share your gracious comments with the staff. We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 3 November 2013

Stayed here 1 night with a friend. Pool was warm and clean with plenty of chairs around. Have to get pool towels near the front desk, which is a long walk to the pool if you forget. Toasted Monkey bar on the beach had a friendly bartender who remembered our one drink order over an hour later when we came back for another. Musicians in the eve were a bit off key and we enjoyed the band next door a bit more. But we did enjoy sitting by the pool and listening to the music. Originally we were given a room on the 2nd floor, which is not as up to date as the room we switched to on the 4th floor. The entire 4th floor smelled better than the 2nd floor and the room was more updated and felt cleaner. Beds were comfortable and we were grateful for an abundance of pillows. Staff was very friendly, helpful and understanding when we were disappointed with our 2nd floor room. We had booked a balcony room and paid a little more for this hotel than other comparable hotels because of the balcony, which we thought had some type of view. Unfortunately, if you do not call the hotel directly, it seems it is misleading in trying to book a balcony room with a view so if this is important to you, I suggest calling them. We changed rooms to the other side of the hotel, but we still had a parking lot view, although it was a better parking lot. Otherwise, we were asked to pay $30 more for a beach view. A bit misleading but again, staff was understanding and helped the best they could.

Room Tip: Be sure your balcony has a gulf view if this is important. Most of the balconies do not face the bea...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank NC5Travelers

I am glad that you found the staff accommodating. I will be sure to let them know. All of our rooms do have either a balcony or patio depending on the location of your room. Our gulf front rooms are very limited so it is always advisable to book these as soon as possible. We are always happy to have our guests call us directly so that we may assist with finding the perfect room for them. I hope that we see you again in the near future.

Reviewed 1 November 2013

Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson
1  Thank Richard L
Robin N, General Manager at Howard Johnson Resort Hotel - ST. Pete Beach FL, responded to this reviewResponded 2 November 2013

Reviewed 31 October 2013

Our room was average but decent- OK TV, poor decor. The lighting was bad and the carpet and bathroom fixtures very dated. However, our queen bed was super comfortable and the room was cleaned well every day. Also, the property was well maintained and the staff were all very nice and helpful. We liked the pool and the Toasted Monkey served good food and drinks. Overall, I would recommend the hotel for someone on a budget looking for great beach access.

Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson
1  Thank Edward S

I am glad that you enjoyed the wonderful beach access and the beach bar at Howard Johnson St. Pete Beach. I will share your kind words with my staff regarding the quality of housekeeping. The entire staff works very hard to maintain the property. We are looking forward to the renovations that are scheduled for the near future. We hope to see you then.

Reviewed 28 October 2013

My boyfriend and I spent four nights at this beachside hotel. We enjoyed the bar on the beach - although the bar next door is bigger and not as commercial (more to our liking), and we LOVED the proximity to the beautiful beach. Great for long, romantic walks.

As for the hotel itself, the bed was comfy, and the housekeeping folks did a great job, cleaning up our sand and giving us clean towels. Also, the shower was great.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank rheisey
Robin N, General Manager at Howard Johnson Resort Hotel - ST. Pete Beach FL, responded to this reviewResponded 30 October 2013

Thank you so much for your gracious comments. I am glad that you enjoyed your visit at Howard Johnson St. Pete Beach. I will be sure to share with my housekeeping staff your kind words. I hope that we see you again.

Reviewed 28 October 2013

I do not understand all the bad reviews. Its a hotel on the beach and its cheap. Compared to the other hotel I stayed at coming down to St. Pete this hotel was amazing. The Microwave and Reg worked great and The A/C unit wasn't to loud unlike the other hotel I stayed at. The people working there were really nice and the maid even opened my room up when I had my hands full and couldn't get my key. Always friendly and greeting me and helping me with anything I needed. I just wished I could have stayed longer. I was worried about the loud sound of the bar and restaurant next door but it wasn't to loud from my room. Yes I wish all the rooms had a better view then of the other hotels but seeing where its located you can only get beach view on one side and of course it will cost more. I loved this hotel and do not understand how anyone could complain about anything with this hotel compared to the hotel in Gainsville where I stayed and it was horrible. My only complaint is that the desk chair wasn't comfortable and the only reason I had to sit there was because I had to do some test for school online. I just wish they would offer more deals for people staying longer!!!!

Room Tip: If you want a better view then ask to be on the left side of the hotel because the back side only sh...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Lilian D

I am glad that you enjoyed your visit and found the staff at Howard Johnson St. Pete Beach friendly. I will be sure to pass your kind words on to them. Thank you for suggesting more comfortable chairs for our desk area. I will definitely look into it. I hope that we see you again.