“This hotel is in a great location and has a nice beach and...”

Howard Johnson Resort Hotel - ST. Pete Beach FL
Ranked #25 of 32 Hotels in St. Pete Beach

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 23 April 2014

Do NOT stay here if you are not looking to party all night. And do NOT stay in a beach front room. The Toasted Monkey bar is located right behind the hotel and is very loud until 12-1 AM. It is a nice bar to hang out at, but it just goes on way too long. On top of that the walls are paper thin and anytime anyone shuts a hotel door you will hear it. There were plenty of younger kids (we are 29 years old) that ran up and down the hall all night long. I would not recommend this hotel for anyone with a family. Save your money and stay at a TradeWinds or another resort, you WILL hate this place; we did after just 2 nights. Will never be back.

Room Tip: Stay in the front part, away from the beach and the Toasted Monkey bar.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Mina P, General Manager at Howard Johnson Resort Hotel - ST. Pete Beach FL, responded to this review, 24 April 2014
Dear llazaroe. Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at the Howard Johnson St. Pete Beach. I am sorry to hear you had so many noise issues. While the Toasted Monkey does offer a variety of live music throughout the week, St. Pete Beach does have a noise ordinance of 11 PM. I will be discussing this situation with the tiki bar to ensure this doesn't occur again for any future guest. In regards to any noise throughout the halls of the hotel, I truly wish you would have contacted the front desk. We have a guest services agent at our front desk 24 hours a day, as well as overnight security to ensure that our guests are not disturbed. Then we would have had the opportunity to address the situation, or move your room.

Again, thank you for taking the time to post a review. I am sorry that you didn't have a wonderful experience, but hope you may give us another opportunity in the future.
Saint Petersbur
Reviewed 20 April 2014

My wife and I stayed at this Howard Johnson's to attend my daughter's wedding at a nearby hotel. The day after we checked in, I noticed a lot of rust around the metal pieces all over the bathroom but just figured that the room needed some updating or rust cleaner. We were busy with the pre-wedding events and did not have time to complain. On the third day, my wife noticed a t-shirt stuffed behind the headboard of the bed and when she pulled it out, the shirt was covered in feces! She called housekeeping and they came and took it away. Next , upon closer examination, the bathroom had a numbers of spots where mildew was apparent. Twice during our stay, the toilet backed up and maintenance had to plunge it. The toilet ran constantly. One of the GFCI plugs did not work. The hair dryer on the wall had charred black on the plug as if it blew up. When we complained, the manager, Cynthia, was very concerned and attentive. She and the head of maintenance came immediately to the room and were aghast at the problems. They fixed and cleaned many of the issues that day. When we left, she was only able to give us one day for free as compensation for our trouble because that is what the management allows her. I emailed the general manager and he was to give us another night's charge refund but I have not received it yet. I would not stay at this place nor recommend it.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson

1 Thank Barrypaint
Dear Barypaint. The Howard Johnson St. Pete Beach would like to thank you for taking the time to post a review. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please accept my sincere apologies. At the Howard Johnson St. Pete Beach, we strive to provide every guest with superior service, therefor your feedback is very important to me. I want you to know that I am taking the appropriate measures to address the problems with both maintenance and room cleanliness that occurred during your stay to prevent any future occurrence. I am however very happy to hear that Cynthia was able to assist you immediately and was able to provide you with compensation. Unfortunately, I never received and email but would love the opportunity to discuss this matter with you further. Please feel free to email me @ minap@reaganresorts.com.

Again, thank you for taking the time to post your review. I look forward to hearing from you!

Travellers are raving about these St. Pete Beach hotels

Dauphin, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 20 April 2014

Front desk staff were so good to us. Especially Crystal who helped us find a better room (sliding glass door issue) & she continued to make sure we were ok. Susan was also very helpful. Pleasant stay.

Room Tip: North side rooms are more quite. Good food at the Toasted Monkey!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Mina P, General Manager at Howard Johnson Resort Hotel - ST. Pete Beach FL, responded to this review, 22 April 2014
Greetings, Jean K. The Howard Johnson St. Pete Beach would like to thank you for taking the time to post your review. Thank you very much for your kind words about our front desk staff! Our team prides themselves in providing exemplary customer service and Crystal and Susan are both such assets to have at our front desk. I'll be sure to pass this review on to them.

Again, than you for taking the time to share your recent experience. We hope to see you again the next time you're in our area!
Michigan
Reviewed 20 April 2014

The hotel is situated perfectly on the beach but the hotel along with the pool area is in major need of a deep cleaning and renovation. Our room on the 4th floor was ok as we walked in but once we looked around we noticed the carpet was filthy, the fridge had leaked at one time and the tile was either stained or still dirty. The fridge door handle was so loose it came off in my hand as I opened it. The bathroom was deplorable with some of the tiles missing from behind the toilet and never repaired. Corners all over the room had ten tons of dust and dirt in them. The pool water was murky the whole time and we couldn't see the bottom. We will never, ever stay there again. Even after showering I never felt clean given my surroundings.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Mina P, General Manager at Howard Johnson Resort Hotel - ST. Pete Beach FL, responded to this review, 29 April 2014
Dear coldinmichigan. Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at the Howard Johnson St. Pete Beach. We are pleased to hear that you saw the amazing value of our property being located right on the Gulf of Mexico. I would like to apologize for the issues you had while with us. Our goal is to provide each of our guests with a quiet, comfortable and clean room, we obviously fell short with your reservation and for that I am sincerely sorry. I am going to share this review with both my Executive Housekeeper and my Chief Engineer so that the issues you had can be rectified for our future guests.

Again, thank you for taking the time to write your review. We hope that the next time you are in the area you will give us a second chance.