“Location Great, Everything else, Meh”

Howard Johnson Resort Hotel - ST. Pete Beach FL
Ranked #25 of 32 Hotels in St. Pete Beach
Fort Worth, Texas
“Location Great, Everything else, Meh”
Reviewed 24 July 2014

The Location is awesome. Right on the beach. The bed was comfortable. The hotel seemed dirty and in need of a paint job. Maybe that's from the salt water? The back elevator was Scary. The maid staff was rude and one refused to get us towels because she didn't service our room and she had no interest in telling the person that serviced our room that we needed towels. For the price, I expect way better and will look for something better if we ever go back

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Mina P, General Manager at Howard Johnson Resort Hotel - ST. Pete Beach FL, responded to this review, 25 July 2014
Dear kdsport31. Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at the Howard Johnson St. Pete Beach. I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed our prime location. Having a hotel located directly on the Gulf of Mexico and in the heart of St. Pete Beach is only one of the reasons our property can't be beat. I'd like to apologize for your encounter with one of my housekeepers. Providing our guests with exceptional customer service is our number one goal and I'm terribly sorry that was not your personal experience. I will be sharing your review with my Executive Housekeeper so that this doesn't happen with any of our future guests.

Again, thank you for taking the time to write a review. I hope that the next time your travels bring you to St. Pete Beach you will give us another opportunity to provide you with the customer service we pride ourselves in showing our guests.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (214)
Port Saint Lucie, Florida
Reviewed 24 July 2014

My wife and I have been staying at this property the same week, 2nd week of July, every year for the last 5 years. We have seen it go through a transformation from a hotel with a stuggling restaurant and pool bar to a hotel with no restaurant or pool bar and now it has a bussling restaurant and the Toasted Monkey Tiki Hut is a hopping fun place that packs the people in. This hotel is right on the beach. The pool is always clean and warm. The rooms are renevated with comfortable beds a fridge microwave, coffee maker and flat screen TV. The room was cleaned and made spotless every day. You're probably thinking "This is a Howard Johnsons!" It is but the atmosphere and the attention to detail make it a special place. We could certainly stay at any of the more expensive hotels on the strip, Tradewinds etc. but why, when everything we need is right here. The only problem we had was at check in. Having been there many times before, we wanted a room facing South. We just prefer that. The girl at the desk said we were scheduled for a north facing room but, if we were willing to wait, she could grant our request. We had no pproblem with that since we were going to the beach anyway. When we came back to get our key, a new girl at the desk had us in a north facing room. She said that's all that was available. It might seem like a trivial thing but, we did wait for what we wanted and it turned out differently. But really, if that's the only down side, it's really not a complaint at all. We will return every year as long as they will have us.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Greetings, Mike A. The Howard Johnson St. Pete Beach would like offer our appreciation for your 5 star review. I'd first like to thank you for recognizing all the hard work that we have put forth transforming our hotel into what it is today. There truly is no better compliment than that of a return guest and I would like to also thank you for your continued patronage. I can not wait to share your review at my next meeting with the housekeeping department, as too often their hard work goes unnoticed!

In regards to your experience at check in, please accept my sincerest apologies. While we do not guarantee a room in any specific part of the hotel, if you are told you WILL receive something then we should follow through with what we say. I will be discussing this with my Guest Services Manager, so that we may use your review as a training tool to ensure our future guests do not have the same experience when checking in.

Again, thank you very much for sharing your recent experience with us. We look forward to seeing you again next July, and each July there after!
Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

Its not the Trade winds or the Hilton but great staff clean room and steps to the beach....let me rephrase that awesome staff go out of their way to make sure your enjoying your time. Would have gave it a higher level but rooms are a little dated. ...but I would definitely return

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Joel C
Mina P, General Manager at Howard Johnson Resort Hotel - ST. Pete Beach FL, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Greetings, Joel C. The Howard Johnson St. Pete Beach would like to thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience. I'm very happy to read that we were able to "save" your beach vacation. Providing our guests with a clean, quiet and comfortable room is always our number one goal, and it gives me great pleasure to know we met our mark with your reservation. I look forward to sharing your review with my staff as well, as they're always eager to hear when their hard work is noticed. In regards to our rooms being somewhat "dated", I'm happy to inform you that we will be updating certain aspects of our guest rooms this Fall!!!

Again, thank you for taking the time to write your review. We look forward to seeing you again the next time your travels bring you to St. Pete Beach!
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 17 July 2014

We did enjoy our stay last week although we had bad experience with housekeeping. Upon checking in we discovered a large disgusting splatter on wall in bathroom. Can't imagine how this was missed, Housekeeping was gone for day and although we were offered to switch rooms, we opted to wait until morning since we had unpacked and were exhausted since up since 2 A:M due to traveling. It was cleaned next morning thankfully. We then had a day housekeeping didn't clean room at all saying we had the "Do not disturb" sign up. This wasn't true! The following day room wasn't cleaned until after 4.
On the positive side, staff overall was friendly, Toasted Monkey food and service was great!
Location on beach fantastic!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Sharon B. Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the Howard Johnson St. Pete Beach. I'm very pleased to hear that you found our staff to be friendly as exceptional customer service is our number one goal. In regards to the issues you experienced with my housekeeping department, I'd like to offer my sincerest apologies. I will be sharing your review with my Executive Housekeeper so that our future guests do not experience the same problems.

Again, thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience. We look forward to seeing you again the next time your travels bring you to St. Pete Beach!
Largo, Florida
Reviewed 10 July 2014

just a few words to,let you know that me and husband had a nice stay at your hotel and will definitely return in the future. the only thing I would improve on Is the size of the tiki bar are as it was small especially in the evenings when after dinner we would like to go and listen the the entertainment and have a cocktail and beer. also the parking on the side of the fence seemed ridiculous. I mean there were people parking that were only there to go to the tiki bar or beach area. the housekeeping lady that cleaned our room did her job well. we stayed in room 312. though the room needs some updating it was comfortable. we also appreciated the call after we checked in that evening to,ask if everything was ok. we would recommend your hotel as it was close to the beach etc. another thing too many people from the trade winds resort seemed to take over the beach by your hotel. which to me was also ridiculous since they had a lot of beach access by their own hotel they were staying in.

Room Tip: ask for a room on a higher floor. and definitely get a gulf view room.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Mina P, General Manager at Howard Johnson Resort Hotel - ST. Pete Beach FL, responded to this review, 11 July 2014
Greetings, Amy894. The Howard Johnson St. Pete Beach would like to thank you for taking the time to write a review of our property. I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed yourself while with us. I look forward to sharing with my Executive Housekeeper that you received great service so that the housekeeper who serviced your room can be acknowledged. In regards to the rooms needing some updating, I'm happy to inform you that we will be updating some of our rooms this fall!!!

Again, thank you for sharing your recent experience. We look forward to seeing you again in the near future!
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 8 July 2014

We stayed at the howrd johnson st pete beach fl for the long weekend , we had a great time , the bach is really good and its right in the back of the hotel the pool was small but verynice and the toasted monkey its very good too, the rooms and the hotel needs a little of remodeling , and a more modern touch , also the parking if you have more than one car per room its an issue , we had 3 cars and only 2 rooms and we spent the whole morning of one of the days trying to resolve the parking issue, it wasnt very nice and disappointing . The staff was friendly and helpfull .

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Mina P, General Manager at Howard Johnson Resort Hotel - ST. Pete Beach FL, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
Greetings, Leo L. The Howard Johnson St. Pete Beach would like to thank you for taking the time to post your review. I am happy to hear that you had a great time while staying with us. Our vast white sandy beaches are beautiful and being located directly on the Gulf of Mexico can make for some gorgeous sunsets! I'd like to apologize for any inconvenience that you experienced with parking. However, it is one parking pass per room and we go to great lengths to ensure that our guests are aware of this prior to their arrival. In regards to our rooms needing a more modern touch I'm very pleased to inform you that we will be updating some of our guest rooms this fall!

Again, thank you for sharing your recent experience with us. We look forward to seeing you again the next time your travels bring you to our area!
atl
Reviewed 4 July 2014 via mobile

We got a great price on a Gulf front room with two queen beds for myself and two kids. The balcony was very very narrow and that was the only thing I didn't like about the room. Very convenient to have the car parked in the lot between the room and the beach so we could drop things off. Front desk clerks were polite. Cleaning service didnt come until three or four each day and that is a little inconvenient. Hotel kind of set back farther from the beach than what we are used to in Myrtle Beach but from what I saw they all seemed to be that way. My kids didn't enjoy the beach as much as we do the Atlantic because there aren't many waves. We did see a lot of sea life though. I also recommend taking the Shell Key Shuttle down the street. If we come back to St Pete I will stay here again.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Jenne-25
Mina P, General Manager at Howard Johnson Resort Hotel - ST. Pete Beach FL, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
Greetings, Jenne-25. Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at the Howard Johnson St. Pete Beach. I'm happy to hear that you obviously enjoyed yourself while with us and will return in the future. Being located directly on the Gulf of Mexico and in the heart of St. Pete Beach is only one of the reasons that our property can't be beat! I'm sorry to read that your room didn't get serviced until late in the day. On your next visit, feel free to contact the front desk as you leave for the day and we will have housekeeping come and service your room once you've left.

Again, thank you for taking the time to post your review. We look forward to seeing you again in the near future!