“Compfortable,fun and reasonable.”

Ranked #23 of 32 Hotels in St. Pete Beach
Apopka, Florida
“Compfortable,fun and reasonable.”
Reviewed 30 July 2014

If you sweat the small stuff maybe you should find another spot. Very friendly service. Rooms are clean and a compfortable bed. Outside activities,pool area is great,little tiki bar at pool area. Staff at beach area very helpful, especially if you bring your own umbrella the sand is hard to drive your umbrella into,they will assist you.The toasted monkey which is part of the hotel is wonderful.It makes it easy to get your breakfast.lunch and dinner without the hassel.The waiters and waitresses were excellent.We had Heather provide us with outstanding service and attention. The bartenders were also extremley attentful and friendly.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Mina P, General Manager at Howard Johnson Resort Hotel - ST. Pete Beach FL, responded to this review, 31 July 2014
Greetings, Michael M. Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at the Howard Johnson St. Pete Beach. I'm pleased to read that you enjoyed yourself while with us and took advantage of some of our on site amenities. I look forward to sharing your review with the staff as they always aims to provide our guests with exceptional customer service and it's quite rewarding when a guest notices!

Again, thank you for writing your review. We look forward to seeing you again the next time your travels bring you to St. Pete Beach.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (211)
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Typically, we would not choose a motel associated with a budget chain, esp given that HoJo is associated with establishments these days that have passed their prime. Unfortunately, I had unused airfare that was going to expire. Because of timing, we had to go budget on everything to be able to go on vacation and use the airfare credit. Having said that, this review isn’t me being picky but of the motel not meeting even minimum standards for its class.

The good:

Located on a very nice, clean beach with larger sand grains that don’t seem to infiltrate everything. Waters are relatively calmer than other beaches I’ve been to.

Location is perfect with a 7-Eleven across the street, Publix and Winn-Dixie supermarkets within close proximity, and many independent restaurants and shops around.

The on-site restaurant, The Toasted Monkey, was an excellent pub and sandwich joint (see my separate review on them).

Very nice pool area and volleyball court. The restaurant also has a separate Tiki bar operation right next to the pool.

The room had two vanities, one located outside of the bathroom, that allowed two people to get cleaned up at the same time.

Room came with a microwave and a larger sized compact refrigerator, which made keeping small meals such as lunch convenient and cheap.

The TV had been updated to a flatscreen (albeit somewhat smaller, and many of the channels weren’t in HD).

Bedding was decent and clean. Furniture was in adequate state of repair.

A/C worked very well and appeared to be a newer unit.

The bad:

The lodging quarters were absolutely disgusting. Anyone that gave this place a “very good” or “excellent” rating has obviously never stayed in a nice hotel. (Check out the pictures I loaded.)

The hallways have an industrial, barren, and dark, murky look with exposed pipes. Carpet was filthy. Doors are very old school, made of wood laminate, and were victims of a sloppy spray paint job.

Rooms were somewhat barren and industrial looking too……an extra picture or properly placed accent furniture might have added appeal.

Carpet in the room was also disgusting. Walk around a few minutes barefoot, and your feet will be black. (I took a picture of this.)

Anything of metal, whether it be the clips on the hangers, locks on the doors, the track for the sliding glass door to the balcony, or the non-workable safe, was all rusted out.

The shower head was scummy and crusted with water deposits.

Sliding glass door did not properly close. There was a huge gaping hole between it and the top of the track. We couldn’t even get it open the first day we were there. We called maintenance, who came and got it back on track, but they still didn’t fix the issue with it not closing at the top. It’s as if the building shifted or maybe the door and tracks weren’t properly installed. We continued having trouble opening and closing the door during our stay. The door had a very flimsy feel too it as well and had a cheap, thin pane of glass that felt like could blow out with a forceful wind or the door itself could fall out.

Could not charge restaurant charges to the room. No room service either.

The washers and dryers in the self-service laundry rooms had porcelain flaking out of the drums and were rusted.

Housekeeping issues:

1. Ashtray with wet butts left on balcony from prior guest.

2. Coffee pot and maker was never cleaned any day we were there.

3. Envelope was left “suggesting” you tip the housekeeper, which I thought was tacky. (We typically are tippers towards housekeeping anyway.)

4. First morning of our stay:

a. Left note asking for the housekeeper to do three reasonable things plus a $3 tip. Verbally gave an extra instruction on the way to the beach (total of four tasks).

i. Extra coffee and condiments – Done except for last day when we had to raid the lobby for condiments
ii. Extra towels (two people taking two showers a day due to beach going means four towels and wash clothes, minimum, needed) – Given only two towels and wash clothes every day
iii. Wipe down shelf above closet, which had something sticky on it, dust, and dead bugs – Not done (I took a picture of this.)
iv. Remove ashtray from balcony – Not done (Got pic of this too.)

b. Second morning – As a consequence of the housekeepers non-performance the previous day, we left no tip. Housekeeper proceeded to leave the tip envelope on the center of our bed later that day. This was incredibly bold and distasteful!

Overall:

Thanks to Priceline, I got my room for $67.50/night ($75 express deal less 10% coupon). It served its purpose, and I had a good vacation, but I would never stay here again unless I found myself under similar financial circumstances. I reviewed the rates of the surrounding establishments and determined that I definitely would not pay over $90/night for this room. Also, based on the condition of the hotel I would only rate it as a two-star (barely), not 2 1/2.

Something else you need to know: We were unaware that the most obviously way of getting there from I-275, the Pinellas Bayway, had a toll. Therefore, it activated Plate Pass on our rental car, which we ended up paying $4.99/day (plus tolls) whether we used it or not once it was activated by the toll. You might get off I-275 sooner and use the Corey Causeway to cross over for free so you don't get nailed by this.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank NoCleverCreation
Dear fedacct. The Howard Johnson St. Pete Beach would like to thank you for taking the time to write a review of our property. I would first like to say that I'm pleased to read that you appreciated our prime location. Having a hotel located directly on the Gulf of Mexico and in the heart of St. Pete Beach is only one of the reasons that our property can't be beat. I'd like to apologize for the housekeeping issues you experienced while with us and I have forwarded your review to my Executive Housekeeper so that these issues can be rectified for our future guests. I will also be discussing your maintenance issues with our Chief Engineer.

Again, thank you for writing your review. I hope that the next time your travels bring you to our beach you will give us another try.

Travellers are raving about these St. Pete Beach hotels

Atlanta, GA
Reviewed 25 July 2014

We really enjoyed our stay at the HOJO on St. Pete Beach. We read all the reviews and thought we would give it a try. What we found was a very moderately priced hotel with an extremely helpful and friendly staff, a clean room, nice pool, and great beach bar. And they have ice makers and washer and dryers too!
Excellent location with drug and grocery stores nearby and a ton of restaurants to chose from. Don't miss the little Mexican place a block or two north of the hotel. Excellante!
We have stayed at other hotels very close to the HOJO that were definitely higher end but guess what?? The rates for these hotels average two and a half times what the HOJO charges.
We enjoyed our stay so much we stayed and extra night and Crystal at the front desk was able to get us a room at close to our original rate.
So if you want a nice stay at the beach and not break the bank, I suggest you give HOJO a try. We will definitely be back next year!

Room Tip: Get a room on the upper floors.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Mina P, General Manager at Howard Johnson Resort Hotel - ST. Pete Beach FL, responded to this review, 26 July 2014
Greetings, sunlouie. The Howard Johnson St. Pete Beach would like to thank you for your 5 star review!!! I'm very pleased to hear that you enjoyed yourself while with us, so much so that you extended your stay an extra night!!! Providing our guests with exceptional customer service is our number one priority and I'm elated that you appreciated my friendly staff. Our property truly is a treasure being located directly on the Gulf of Mexico and in the heart of St. Pete Beach with so many wonderful establishments all within walking distance.

Again, thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience! We look forward to seeing you again in next year!
Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed 24 July 2014

The Location is awesome. Right on the beach. The bed was comfortable. The hotel seemed dirty and in need of a paint job. Maybe that's from the salt water? The back elevator was Scary. The maid staff was rude and one refused to get us towels because she didn't service our room and she had no interest in telling the person that serviced our room that we needed towels. For the price, I expect way better and will look for something better if we ever go back

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Mina P, General Manager at Howard Johnson Resort Hotel - ST. Pete Beach FL, responded to this review, 25 July 2014
Dear kdsport31. Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at the Howard Johnson St. Pete Beach. I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed our prime location. Having a hotel located directly on the Gulf of Mexico and in the heart of St. Pete Beach is only one of the reasons our property can't be beat. I'd like to apologize for your encounter with one of my housekeepers. Providing our guests with exceptional customer service is our number one goal and I'm terribly sorry that was not your personal experience. I will be sharing your review with my Executive Housekeeper so that this doesn't happen with any of our future guests.

Again, thank you for taking the time to write a review. I hope that the next time your travels bring you to St. Pete Beach you will give us another opportunity to provide you with the customer service we pride ourselves in showing our guests.
Port Saint Lucie, Florida
Reviewed 24 July 2014

My wife and I have been staying at this property the same week, 2nd week of July, every year for the last 5 years. We have seen it go through a transformation from a hotel with a stuggling restaurant and pool bar to a hotel with no restaurant or pool bar and now it has a bussling restaurant and the Toasted Monkey Tiki Hut is a hopping fun place that packs the people in. This hotel is right on the beach. The pool is always clean and warm. The rooms are renevated with comfortable beds a fridge microwave, coffee maker and flat screen TV. The room was cleaned and made spotless every day. You're probably thinking "This is a Howard Johnsons!" It is but the atmosphere and the attention to detail make it a special place. We could certainly stay at any of the more expensive hotels on the strip, Tradewinds etc. but why, when everything we need is right here. The only problem we had was at check in. Having been there many times before, we wanted a room facing South. We just prefer that. The girl at the desk said we were scheduled for a north facing room but, if we were willing to wait, she could grant our request. We had no pproblem with that since we were going to the beach anyway. When we came back to get our key, a new girl at the desk had us in a north facing room. She said that's all that was available. It might seem like a trivial thing but, we did wait for what we wanted and it turned out differently. But really, if that's the only down side, it's really not a complaint at all. We will return every year as long as they will have us.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Greetings, Mike A. The Howard Johnson St. Pete Beach would like offer our appreciation for your 5 star review. I'd first like to thank you for recognizing all the hard work that we have put forth transforming our hotel into what it is today. There truly is no better compliment than that of a return guest and I would like to also thank you for your continued patronage. I can not wait to share your review at my next meeting with the housekeeping department, as too often their hard work goes unnoticed!

In regards to your experience at check in, please accept my sincerest apologies. While we do not guarantee a room in any specific part of the hotel, if you are told you WILL receive something then we should follow through with what we say. I will be discussing this with my Guest Services Manager, so that we may use your review as a training tool to ensure our future guests do not have the same experience when checking in.

Again, thank you very much for sharing your recent experience with us. We look forward to seeing you again next July, and each July there after!
Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

Its not the Trade winds or the Hilton but great staff clean room and steps to the beach....let me rephrase that awesome staff go out of their way to make sure your enjoying your time. Would have gave it a higher level but rooms are a little dated. ...but I would definitely return

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Joel C
Mina P, General Manager at Howard Johnson Resort Hotel - ST. Pete Beach FL, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Greetings, Joel C. The Howard Johnson St. Pete Beach would like to thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience. I'm very happy to read that we were able to "save" your beach vacation. Providing our guests with a clean, quiet and comfortable room is always our number one goal, and it gives me great pleasure to know we met our mark with your reservation. I look forward to sharing your review with my staff as well, as they're always eager to hear when their hard work is noticed. In regards to our rooms being somewhat "dated", I'm happy to inform you that we will be updating certain aspects of our guest rooms this Fall!!!

Again, thank you for taking the time to write your review. We look forward to seeing you again the next time your travels bring you to St. Pete Beach!